Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread is a continuation of a discussion which started HERE.
Print Wikipost

Amex Concierge: What have they done for you?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by JAGMAP
Keep in mind American Express Concierges do not book any travel. The moment you mention air, hotel or car, an American Express Travel Agent is offered.

As a frequent user (5-10 requests/mo), I never noticed a degredation in service levels when the old provider got dropped somewhere in the August timeframe.
I have consistently been told to call concierge for car service bookings and for the complimentary travel guides (used to be called Weissman guides, have a different name now).
Old May 2, 2015, 3:31 pm

So this was pretty awesome. In Paris for a month. Foolishly thought I could wait until the last 2 weeks of our vacation to book for dinner at the number one restaurant in Paris (epicure). Called the restaurant and was flatly told there were no available openings. No wait list. Nothing. So I called Amex, and they managed to get me in this coming week. Pretty awesome.
Old May 2, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by carzin
So I called Amex...
Did you call the Amex concierge in your home country to arrange this?

The requirement to go through the Canadian concierge for this sort of thing is a real limitation of the program, particularly when there are significant timezone differences. It would be more helpful if we could contact the local concierge directly.
Old May 3, 2015, 3:57 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
So this was pretty awesome. In Paris for a month. Foolishly thought I could wait until the last 2 weeks of our vacation to book for dinner at the number one restaurant in Paris (epicure). Called the restaurant and was flatly told there were no available openings. No wait list. Nothing. So I called Amex, and they managed to get me in this coming week. Pretty awesome.
Epicure is part of the Amex Fine Dining program, so it's quite normal that you would get a table, even on short notice. I did this a couple of times at Epicure and it always worked. On a side note, I often do not agree with the Tripadvisor rankings, but in this case they're spot on. TA ranks Epicure as the best restaurant in town and I can definitely confirm that. It's a shame that the weather won't allow you to sit outside yet, as this makes the experience even more special, but regardless of that you'll have a great time!

Last edited by JohnRain; May 3, 2015 at 4:02 am
Old May 4, 2015, 10:39 am

Enjoy , it's a great restaurant
Ask for a window table if you can
Don't hesitate to make any special request, they're always pleased to help.
I even asked for .. a diaper once

If you're interested, you can also ask on the spot for a kitchen tour
You can also ask for some "mignardise" to take away.

they do require to wear a jacket, but they can give you one.
Old May 5, 2015, 1:57 am

To answer one question above... I have a SIP office phone in Paris, so I called them like I was inside of the U.S. As is noted, they have a special team for these that handled the request in about 8 hours. I brought my suit for this and the Opera, so I have the right attire.

One question for those who have dined... We are likely going to get the tasting menu (I think it is 350E a piece). Do you know if they have wine pairing option with each course? It isn't listed. what is the cost?

Thanks!
Old May 5, 2015, 2:10 am

To answer one question above... I have a SIP office phone in Paris, so I called them like I was inside of the U.S. As is noted, they have a special team for these that handled the request in about 8 hours. I brought my suit for this and the Opera, so I have the right attire.

One question for those who have dined... We are likely going to get the tasting menu (I think it is 350E a piece). Do you know if they have wine pairing option with each course? It isn't listed. what is the cost?

Thanks!
The menu is 295 euros. There's no wine pairing option. They will of course suggest wines for every course, but it's not on the menu. Be prepared to pay a substantial amount for wines at this place.
Old May 5, 2015, 3:40 am

I am prepared for a total cost around 1,000. That should cover the wine. Thanks!!
Old May 5, 2015, 3:43 am

I am prepared for a total cost around 1,000. That should cover the wine. Thanks!!
Indeed. Enjoy! Good thing that you didn't go yesterday or today because chef Eric Fréchon is cooking at the Chat Botté in Geneva on those dates.
Old May 5, 2015, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by JohnRain
Indeed. Enjoy! Good thing that you didn't go yesterday or today because chef Eric Fréchon is cooking at the Chat Botté in Geneva on those dates.

Looking at the menu, seems that Epicure moved to Geneva :
http://www.lebristolparis.com/media/...uner-diner.pdf

Believe he's not often at the Bristol for dinner (nor on week end)
He needs to take care of his commercial for "president" and his other restaurant(s) .
Old May 5, 2015, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by CGRA
Looking at the menu, seems that Epicure moved to Geneva :
http://www.lebristolparis.com/media/...uner-diner.pdf
Worry not my friend, only for two days (May 4&5)...
Old May 5, 2015, 8:24 am

Worry not my friend, only for two days (May 4&5)...
At least Switzerland is not going to steal this chef
Old May 5, 2015, 10:04 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I have never used the concierge service...Is the service limited to booking things like restaurants and what not?

I am looking for a part for my wife's 4-year old SUV. The part itself is probably inexpensive--it's the car's name badge that I inadvertently broke off of the dashboard a few weeks ago, and it's driving my wife crazy to look at it every day.

Problem is that the automaker and subsequently, the dealerships only sell the entire setup, which is like $300. We're talking probably $0.20 worth of metal, but I would guess this part alone is probably a $25 piece if it was indeed sold alone.

I don't mind paying $25 for it, but certainly not $300 for a whole housing and 90% more parts than we need. Hell, I'd pay $50 for it just to make my wife happy. (It would drive me crazy too if I had to look at it daily as well, so I understand completely where she's coming from).

I've taken to eBay and even found salvage places on line. No one I've found has or offers this one small part. There's GOT to be hundreds of these vehicles that have been 'parted out'. I've spent HOURS AND HOURS trying to track it down, to no avail.

Is this the kind of thing that the Concierge might be able to help me find?
Old May 5, 2015, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I have never used the concierge service...Is the service limited to booking things like restaurants and what not?

I am looking for a part for my wife's 4-year old SUV. The part itself is probably inexpensive--it's the car's name badge that I inadvertently broke off of the dashboard a few weeks ago, and it's driving my wife crazy to look at it every day.

Problem is that the automaker and subsequently, the dealerships only sell the entire setup, which is like $300. We're talking probably $0.20 worth of metal, but I would guess this part alone is probably a $25 piece if it was indeed sold alone.

I don't mind paying $25 for it, but certainly not $300 for a whole housing and 90% more parts than we need. Hell, I'd pay $50 for it just to make my wife happy. (It would drive me crazy too if I had to look at it daily as well, so I understand completely where she's coming from).

I've taken to eBay and even found salvage places on line. No one I've found has or offers this one small part. There's GOT to be hundreds of these vehicles that have been 'parted out'. I've spent HOURS AND HOURS trying to track it down, to no avail.

They will certainly try! I once asked them to find sparklers that could go on top of cupcakes. They had two days notice and they searched online and then called every store and ended up finally finding a place in Wyoming that carrried some (I live in Utah). ^
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:25 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
<snip>
And...Apparently not. The last month has been an absolute nightmare. I don't think I'll ever attempt to use the concierge again.

I turned to them out of desperation. I thoroughly explained to them everything that I had already done to attempt to secure the part.

Long story short, they contacted a local Jeep dealer...Same one I called a month prior. Same one I told them not to, as I had hit brick walls there before. They told me that the dealer found an aftermarket dealer that had it. (Confirmed with my year/make/model, my VIN and a photo I sent). I was skeptical, as I had been down that road, but was assured by the concierge that everything was correct...I sent photos of the broken part for a second time. They assure me "That's right!"

They sent me the part, but it was COMPLETELY wrong. Not even close, the part they sent me was from 2 model years earlier and was like the difference between a baseball bat and a hockey stick. Concierge basically tells me, "That's it...Take it or leave it". (I am paraphrasing, they were much more nice than that, but basically what was the result).

So I'm left holding the proverbial bag. They take the part back, which was significantly more than what I had wanted to spend to begin with ($60 in parts, an overinflated $20 for shipping/handling), but will not refund the shipping, and had to drive to the dealer twice (1/2 hour each way, 3 hours lost time) to get the part back and subsequently refunded.

Concierge suggests for me to fight it with AMEX, but I'm just so freakin' over it, not going to bother. The dealer could have refunded the shipping, I just told them that I won't be coming back here for a car, service, oil change or anything...They're the dumb ones in all of this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.