Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread is a continuation of a discussion which started HERE.
Print Wikipost

Amex Concierge: What have they done for you?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gooselee
Amex Platinum US Concierge booked French Laundry for me, but that was 2-3 years ago.
French Laundry sucked. So does Per Se (same owner, same kind of menu). No need to go to both. Fat Duck in UK was worth it. Just in case anyone is saving for a special occasion and thinking about these restaurants.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:01 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by greyster
French Laundry sucked. So does Per Se (same owner, same kind of menu). No need to go to both. Fat Duck in UK was worth it. Just in case anyone is saving for a special occasion and thinking about these restaurants.
Any elaboration?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by martzipan
Can I post what they haven't done for me?

Planning to trip to Barcelona, was hoping the Platinum concierge would be able to reserve a table at Tickets for me. No such luck, they refused to do that outright, claiming some sort of legal policy. Mind you, my dates are still ahead of the restaurants reservation window, so it's not like it's fully booked.

They say they don't book Tickets nor French Laundry.

Is that just Amex Canada being difficult? Would I have better luck if I had a US based card?
Tickets doesn’t accept American Express so concierge has no pull there.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Not sure if this counts as the concierge. I was in Sweden and was taking my grandmother out for lunch, but I had forgotten my visa and the restaurant didn't take Amex. I called Swedish Amex concierge, but they transferred me to Global Services which were very nice and actually called restaurants all around me to find out if any of them accepted Amex. One place we found one Indian place that accepted Amex, but refused to allow me to use it for some reason. Anyway, while it wasn't the concierge line per se, they did find restaurants for us and was willing even to western union some cash in case they didn't find a place.

Although from now on I just won't forget to bring a visa along just in case, I think it would be cool if they had a directory that showed businesses around the world that accept amex.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:33 am

Tried to book a reservation in a popular restaurant in DC for November. They said they had no pull, will try to get a reservation in Dec. Not a great first impression using their concierge
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by nimgel
Tried to book a reservation in a popular restaurant in DC for November. They said they had no pull, will try to get a reservation in Dec. Not a great first impression using their concierge
your second, third, fourth and... impressions likely will not be any better. IME they are worthless.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by thelark
your second, third, fourth and... impressions likely will not be any better. IME they are worthless.
How did we end up here?!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by greyster
does AMEX have a particular partnership with the Fat Duck?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I only really use the concierge for restaurant bookings and have 100% success with them being able to help in half a dozen bookings over the last few months, even on occasions when the restaurants themselves said they were fully booked.

Most recently with Le Bernardin in NYC who only take regular bookings 30 days out they were able to confirm a table for our preferred time before the regular booking window was open.

For another reservation (The Modern in NYC) my wife and I didn't even realise the restaurant was closed when I called in to the concierge, on that day only the Bar Room was open. However, the concierge said the restaurant were even willing to look into still allowing us to dine at the Chef's Table. I was pretty amazed by that, but in the end the restaurant decided to keep the Bar Room as the only option.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:01 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by Fraser
I only really use the concierge for restaurant bookings and have 100% success with them being able to help in half a dozen bookings over the last few months, even on occasions when the restaurants themselves said they were fully booked.

Most recently with Le Bernardin in NYC who only take regular bookings 30 days out they were able to confirm a table for our preferred time before the regular booking window was open.

For another reservation (The Modern in NYC) my wife and I didn't even realise the restaurant was closed when I called in to the concierge, on that day only the Bar Room was open. However, the concierge said the restaurant were even willing to look into still allowing us to dine at the Chef's Table. I was pretty amazed by that, but in the end the restaurant decided to keep the Bar Room as the only option.
Glad you've had success!

I also had them get me a Le Bernardin reservation at a prime time, on the weekend, with less than 7 days notice. Was very impressed.

Generally I have very good luck with them and restaurant reservations. They very useful to have call restaurants in other countries and time zones, I just send an email and don't have to worry about it.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I have never considered using them, but a few months ago I was chatting with a fellow who has an Amex platinum card, who told me about his trip to Rome a while back and how impressed he was that they were able to plan a such a mindblowingly awesome vacation for him.

He was flat out raving.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:07 am

AMEX Platinum concierge ticket request question

NCAA basketball tournament tickets go on sale this week so I figured I’d call the AMEX concierge to get them to buy some for me when they go on sale. This worked perfectly for me last year for GABF tickets. I was told that the only tickets they’ll get for anyone anymore are AMEX event tickets. Is this correct? Are there any cards with a concierge that’ll buy tickets for you anymore?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 8:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by texaggie2007
... the only tickets they’ll get for anyone anymore are AMEX event tickets.
Recently reported HERE.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:19 pm

Went to Barcelona and asked them to help us book some last minute reservations to some Michelin star places. Obviously everything was booked, and the concierge said they would keep trying until we left Barcelona.

When we were in San Sebastian, I got an email from them and they were able to get us El Cellar De Can Roca reservations for 4.

On a side note, when we were in Barcelona we were able to get last minute reservations to Engima. It was awesome, we were talking pass Tickets and taking pictures of it when the manager steps out and asked us if we wanted reservations to lunch the next day! We were leaving the next day, but decided we could try to squeeze it in since all we wanted to do was eat the cheesecake. When he heard us say that he invited us into the closing restaurant and served us a bunch of desserts! We were getting ready to pay, but then they refused to take our money.

It was such an awesome experience. So yeah Concierge did a ton for us.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:00 am

They couldn't get me a reservation for Eleven Madison for a Friday lunch for 1 person. Said they'd put me on a waiting list which they did but for Saturday. Never heard back from the restaurant nor from the Concierge when I reached out about the mistaken date.

I figured that would be a shoe in given the massive amount of co marketing they are doing with the restaurant. Oh well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.