Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread is a continuation of a discussion which started HERE.
Print Wikipost

Amex Concierge: What have they done for you?

Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
They got me reservations for Restaurant Andre in Singapore
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:13 pm

Two requests -

The first was to help book tickets for viewing the Last Supper in Milan as they were sold out online, on a very specific date with a specific time frame due to itinerary restrictions. Specifically just asked for entry tickets, no tour needed. The rep in charge of this request didn't appear to try very hard and wasn't able to get more information on when more tickets would be released. When asking about entry options with a private tour (many third parties resell tickets at a significant markup) and inquiring about pricing, rep never got back to me. I eventually got the tickets myself after calling the ticket distribution center direct at 4 AM.

The second was looking for a specific designer item that was released last year that I didn't catch wind of until very recently. The last known date someone has purchased at the designer boutique was earlier this year. Asked the concierge to help locate the item if it was still in stock worldwide. Since the international stores usually do not ship out of country, also asked them to setup a personal shopper if they did locate the item. They did make significant efforts, inquiring at all known boutiques in US/Canada, and several other countries. They confirmed that the specific item was no longer available, but were able to track down something similar at a specific international boutique and could provide me with the address. In this regard, concierge was very helpful.

On a side note, every time I have a phone call with AmEx, the call quality is generally bad, and I'm not convinced its my phone itself anymore.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:14 pm

I imagine it's set up like any other call center with cubicles of people on headsets.

I'm surprised they spent so much effort on trying to track down a designer item though (assuming you're calling the platinum concierge). Cool to hear they made an effort. If centurion then yeah, that'd be expected but still kudos.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:02 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by GiantCow
I imagine it's set up like any other call center with cubicles of people on headsets.

I'm surprised they spent so much effort on trying to track down a designer item though (assuming you're calling the platinum concierge). Cool to hear they made an effort. If centurion then yeah, that'd be expected but still kudos.
They went to similar lengths to help me find a mostly sold out Burberry coat.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:55 am

What's going on with this?!?!

Concierge was great for me for a couple months then, in the last two weeks, I haven't been able to get anyone on the line. I held for 29 minutes, 12 minutes, and then today I just hung up and came here to ask. Did they lose their contractor or something? I posted to them on Twitter, messaged them on app. Zero help or concern. Horrible service.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:04 pm

I just messaged them and they responded pretty quick. I didn't want anything specific. Just to see if they'd be prompt. I got a dinner reservation at Carmines in the Forum Shops...nothing special.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:29 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by ForeignDignitary
...I haven't been able to get anyone on the line. I held for 29 minutes, 12 minutes, and then today I just hung up and came here to ask.
Welcome to FT!

After striking out on Open Table, I called the concierge. Was put on a hold queue, and waiting for a few minutes. Decided to hang up and call the restaurant directly. Voila...I had my choice of times.

I think I'll go into the concierge business.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPLT
Asked them to call used auto parts stores (a.k.a. junkyards) looking for a part for an old car. She gave me some leads, but none had the part I needed. Upside, they were able to rule out a lot of places, saving me time.

The person I dealt with mentioned that a lot of places hung up during her initial disclosure "Hi, I'm _____ calling from Amex platinum concierge...". I asked if she could try again just calling as a person, but that's apparently not allowed. I assume there's a good reason for this, but it's potentially counterproductive when not calling restaurants or other places without an Amex relationship. The junkyards were not impressed that I was able to have *platinum concierge* call on my behalf.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
UK Concierge managed recently to find us a table (with 1 month notice) at Duck & Waffle in London. They mentioned that they hold 1 table for Amex cardmembers everyday so they were able to secure one for me at the time I wanted (8pm) despite the website only had tables at like 11pm and later.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, Amex Platinum, Citi TY Premier, Expedia Elite +, BA Silver
My wife surprised me at home after work for my b-day. I got home and there was a famous executive chef from a restaurant group in London who cooked a marvelous 6 course meal. There was also a buttler there for service. It was the US centurion concierge who helped organize and we live in the UK. Brilliant experience!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:39 am

Programs: 1K, HH Gold VIP, Plat PC, Ex National, Plat Amex
Restaurant week

They were able to reserve a spot for me at Scarpetta, Fogo De Chao and Devon Seafood house. I called each of these restaurants prior and they all said they were booked for the weekend. I called Platinum concierge and asked them if they would be able to help me and they were able to reserve a table for me on the time that I wanted. This really helped as I was not aware of restaurant week during my travel but I was able to take advantage of it at some of the best restaurants.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by miketravelparty
They were able to reserve a spot for me at Scarpetta, Fogo De Chao and Devon Seafood house. I called each of these restaurants prior and they all said they were booked for the weekend. I called Platinum concierge and asked them if they would be able to help me and they were able to reserve a table for me on the time that I wanted. This really helped as I was not aware of restaurant week during my travel but I was able to take advantage of it at some of the best restaurants.
Those all seem like Philly restaurants, not Chicago?

Scarpetta was pretty empty when I went there last week and the hostess still made me wait for 30 mins in the bar downstairs while the table is cleared. Really?!?! I thought the food was pretty bad.

The real test would be whether the platinum concierge can get you a table at the Vernick or Zahav. Maybe I should test it out.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:46 pm

Can I post what they haven't done for me?

Planning to trip to Barcelona, was hoping the Platinum concierge would be able to reserve a table at Tickets for me. No such luck, they refused to do that outright, claiming some sort of legal policy. Mind you, my dates are still ahead of the restaurants reservation window, so it's not like it's fully booked.

They say they don't book Tickets nor French Laundry.

Is that just Amex Canada being difficult? Would I have better luck if I had a US based card?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: AmEx Rewards
Originally Posted by rugerty100
Definitely YMMV. I've gotten better tickets from Plat concierge than I could ever imagine getting myself through Ticketmaster.
I was disappointed to find out that AmEx Concierge will no longer purchase tickets for you when they go on sale unless it's for an AmEx pre-sale.

I've always had them buy my tickets for a NYE concert at Madison Square Garden but they told me they no longer offer that service unless I'm on the phone with them at the time of the on-sale.

I rearranged my schedule to be on the phone with them at the ticket on-sale time. I called 15 minutes prior only to be informed by the system that hold times were longer than normal. I wasn't able to connect with a concierge member before the tickets went on sale.

This was really the only perk of the concierge service that I ever used so I'm disappointed that it's no longer an option. Having the service buy tickets for me saved me a lot of time and hassle.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by martzipan
Can I post what they haven't done for me?

Planning to trip to Barcelona, was hoping the Platinum concierge would be able to reserve a table at Tickets for me. No such luck, they refused to do that outright, claiming some sort of legal policy. Mind you, my dates are still ahead of the restaurants reservation window, so it's not like it's fully booked.

They say they don't book Tickets nor French Laundry.

Is that just Amex Canada being difficult? Would I have better luck if I had a US based card?
Amex Platinum US Concierge booked French Laundry for me, but that was 2-3 years ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.