Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

What is (or not) included in the U.S. Supermarket category?

Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rasheed
Unfortunately, AmEx's listed merchant categories on the posted transactions do not properly distinguish US Supermarkets from smaller grocery stores (which do not qualify for bonus rewards). Small stores that do not qualify will be listed the same, but will accrue the lower base rewards rate.

List of multi-location chains in the US that appear to qualify for bonus rewards (see at bottom for AmEx's rules on this subject):

Albertsons/Safeway family chains
Instacart
Kroger family chains (NOT Fred Meyer though - you need to purchase Kroger gift cards from another member supermarket in that case)
Meijer
Sprouts
Trader Joe's
Walmart - Neighborhood version
Whole Foods

Sometimes individual locations may not work.

At: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...fo/retail.html, AmEx says as follows:
U.S. Supermarkets

To earn additional rewards on supermarket purchases, the supermarket must be located in the U.S.

A supermarket offers a wide variety of food and household products such as meat, fresh produce, dairy, canned and packaged goods, household cleaners, pharmacy products and pet supplies.

(Superstores, convenience stores and warehouse clubs are NOT considered supermarkets.)

Examples of merchants* that accept the Card and where you can earn additional rewards include:
• Gristedes
• Foodtown
• Meijer
• Shoprite
• Stop and Shop
• Vons
• Whole Foods
• Winn-Dixie
• Online supermarkets such as FreshDirect

*This is not a complete list.

Examples of merchants where you will NOT earn additional rewards include:
• Specialty stores (e.g., fish markets, cheese shops, wine shops, and other specialty food stores )
• Superstores (e.g. Amazon, Target and Wal-Mart)
• Warehouse clubs (e.g. BJ's Club)

Supermarket FAQs

What isn’t included in the U.S. Supermarket category?

Specialty food stores, small corner grocery stores, gourmet shops, natural food stores and large superstores including online superstores (e.g. Amazon), warehouses clubs (e.g. BJ's Club) and big box stores (e.g. Wal-Mart) are examples of merchants that are NOT eligible for additional rewards.

I think I should have earned additional rewards on a purchase, what should I do?

If you have questions about whether you should have received additional rewards, please call the number on the back of your Card.

How do you define a Supermarket where I earn additional rewards?

A supermarket offers a wide variety of food and household products such as meat, fresh produce, dairy, canned and packaged goods, household cleaners, pharmacy products and pet supplies.
Print Wikipost

What is (or not) included in the U.S. Supermarket category?

Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by rasheed
... thinking that AmEx actively excludes this merchant chain even though it is in the right category? ...
Yes. I have used Everyday at a tea retailer/cafe which is coded this way and earns only one point per dollar.

Last edited by mia; Mar 20, 2018 at 5:54 pm
Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:29 pm

I also hate the fact that Amex makes you wait until after the close date to actually see if you gained the 2x or 3x points.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, AMEX Plat (Marriott Gold), AMEX Hilton Aspire (Hilton Diamond)
i was surprised that places like CVS or Walgreens won't count as groceries (at least in my experience). they are logged as medical/heathcare
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:38 am

Statement just closed recently and I can confirm that Instacart does code as groceries. Yipee!!!
GTITAN likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by dpy940307
i was surprised that places like CVS or Walgreens won't count as groceries (at least in my experience). they are logged as medical/heathcare
Why would you be surprised? They are not grocery stores. The fact that they sell some grocery items does not make them a grocery store.
sdsearch, krazykanuck and mhdena like this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by dbenesch
I just placed an order with Instacart using my AmEx. The pending charge does show as "Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries", which is the same as my local supermarket. I have no idea if it will post that way or if it will qualify for any bonus points, but I can send an update once I learn more.
Just received my statement that shows rewards dollars for my previous statement. Can confirm that all of my Instacart orders were included in the "U.S. Supermarkets" category and received the extra rewards points/dollars. Yay!
GTITAN likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
ONly Amex codes Neighborhood WalMarts as grocery.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:20 pm

Amex card that offers bonus MR points on every day spend or warehouse stores?

So I was going to get the Amex Everyday Preferred card because I would like to earn a bonus on my grocery shopping, however, I shop at Fred Meyers (west coast thing, I think it’s Kroger on the east coast) and I noticed on my platinum card that it’s coding as “merchandise & supplies – wholesale stores”. Does anyone know of an Amex card that has a bonus category that would include these stores, or does anyone shop at Fred Meyer’s stores with an Amex card that earns an extra bonus? I’m really just looking at extra MR earning cards right now and I know some Amex cards just offer cash back instead…
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by acarney
So I was going to get the Amex Everyday Preferred card because I would like to earn a bonus on my grocery shopping, however, I shop at Fred Meyers (west coast thing, I think it’s Kroger on the east coast) and I noticed on my platinum card that it’s coding as “merchandise & supplies – wholesale stores”. Does anyone know of an Amex card that has a bonus category that would include these stores, or does anyone shop at Fred Meyer’s stores with an Amex card that earns an extra bonus? I’m really just looking at extra MR earning cards right now and I know some Amex cards just offer cash back instead…
AMEX BBP gets earns 2 MR points per dollar on ALL spend up to 50k with no annual fee.
You do not need to have a business to get this card.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by bigbuy
AMEX BBP gets earns 2 MR points per dollar on ALL spend up to 50k with no annual fee.
You do not need to have a business to get this card.
So I keep hearing that. How do I go about getting the card though? Do I just used my SS# instead of the tax ID, or do I leave that completely blank? For my number of employees and annual earnings do I just list them as 1 (me) and $0? I mean I honestly have nothing that could show as annual earnings if they did a financial review. I don't sell on eBay, I don't do work for my family (that I invoice, or could invoice, I don't want to bring them into any kind of game like that), nothing. Additionally, I don't have much spending that would go onto a business card other then very personal looking things... my weekly shopping, probably cell phone bill, and a couple other very small things like that. Most my other spend is already covered by other cards earning a bonus...
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:48 am
mia

.... Do I just used my SS# instead of the tax ID,.... For my number of employees and annual earnings do I just list them as 1 (me) and $0?......
Yes
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:26 am

So I keep hearing that. How do I go about getting the card though? Do I just used my SS# instead of the tax ID, or do I leave that completely blank? For my number of employees and annual earnings do I just list them as 1 (me) and $0? I mean I honestly have nothing that could show as annual earnings if they did a financial review. I don't sell on eBay, I don't do work for my family (that I invoice, or could invoice, I don't want to bring them into any kind of game like that), nothing. Additionally, I don't have much spending that would go onto a business card other then very personal looking things... my weekly shopping, probably cell phone bill, and a couple other very small things like that. Most my other spend is already covered by other cards earning a bonus...
Originally Posted by mia
Yes
I read that $0 revenue doesn't work anymore (https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...usiness-cards/).
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by robchow
I read that $0 revenue doesn't work anymore (https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...usiness-cards/).
I recall seeing that as well.... and I don't really want to lie saying $1,000/year or something and then be asked for documented proof on that when I don't have any, and won't be able to quickly grab some old eBay records or something and pretend they count as biz sales...

I also don't want to put my personal platinum card in jeopardy if Amex does decide that I've falsified information and they just black list my SS# in their system or something...

But at the same time I keep hearing everyone yelling "You don't need a biz to get the card! It's great!" "Sign up for the biz card, it's fine if you never sell anything and don't have a registered biz, literally everyone can get a biz card!!"

Very frustrating....
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:28 pm
mia

Yes...

Amex (USA) adds new requirement for minimum $1,000 annual Business Revenue

...you won't be able to declare zero income if the form will not accept a value less than 1,000. It's a programming limitation.

In my opinion American Express wants to issue business cards to individuals and they want us to use them for personal spending, as evidenced by the types of Amex Offers which appears on business card accounts. They want to do this because various consumer protections do not apply to cards used for business, and because it hides their cardholders' spending from competitors. However, for regulatory compliance they cannot openly solicit individuals to apply for these cards. They can, and do, make it easy to be approved.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:50 pm

I am also a Fred Meyer shopper and they do not code as a grocery store for Amex. One thing I have done is buy gift cards at qfc which is a Kroger store that does code as a grocery and then use them at Fred Meyer.
mia likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.