Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

What is (or not) included in the U.S. Supermarket category?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rasheed
Unfortunately, AmEx's listed merchant categories on the posted transactions do not properly distinguish US Supermarkets from smaller grocery stores (which do not qualify for bonus rewards). Small stores that do not qualify will be listed the same, but will accrue the lower base rewards rate.

List of multi-location chains in the US that appear to qualify for bonus rewards (see at bottom for AmEx's rules on this subject):

Albertsons/Safeway family chains
Instacart
Kroger family chains (NOT Fred Meyer though - you need to purchase Kroger gift cards from another member supermarket in that case)
Meijer
Sprouts
Trader Joe's
Walmart - Neighborhood version
Whole Foods

Sometimes individual locations may not work.

At: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...fo/retail.html, AmEx says as follows:
U.S. Supermarkets

To earn additional rewards on supermarket purchases, the supermarket must be located in the U.S.

A supermarket offers a wide variety of food and household products such as meat, fresh produce, dairy, canned and packaged goods, household cleaners, pharmacy products and pet supplies.

(Superstores, convenience stores and warehouse clubs are NOT considered supermarkets.)

Examples of merchants* that accept the Card and where you can earn additional rewards include:
• Gristedes
• Foodtown
• Meijer
• Shoprite
• Stop and Shop
• Vons
• Whole Foods
• Winn-Dixie
• Online supermarkets such as FreshDirect

*This is not a complete list.

Examples of merchants where you will NOT earn additional rewards include:
• Specialty stores (e.g., fish markets, cheese shops, wine shops, and other specialty food stores )
• Superstores (e.g. Amazon, Target and Wal-Mart)
• Warehouse clubs (e.g. BJ's Club)

Supermarket FAQs

What isn’t included in the U.S. Supermarket category?

Specialty food stores, small corner grocery stores, gourmet shops, natural food stores and large superstores including online superstores (e.g. Amazon), warehouses clubs (e.g. BJ's Club) and big box stores (e.g. Wal-Mart) are examples of merchants that are NOT eligible for additional rewards.

I think I should have earned additional rewards on a purchase, what should I do?

If you have questions about whether you should have received additional rewards, please call the number on the back of your Card.

How do you define a Supermarket where I earn additional rewards?

A supermarket offers a wide variety of food and household products such as meat, fresh produce, dairy, canned and packaged goods, household cleaners, pharmacy products and pet supplies.
Print Wikipost

What is (or not) included in the U.S. Supermarket category?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2016, 6:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lupine
... Amex rep told me that it was set up as a general merchandise store in their system. The logic escaped me...
The merchant category is not assigned by American Express, it's selected by the store's acquirer, the firm which processes their credit card transactions. If a store is franchised the owner may already have another merchant account for another business, and that coding may be carried over. It's a mistake, but no one is really motivated to fix.

You can see how a specific merchant is categorized by expanding the details of a transaction when it posts on your online account.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TayoBus
natural food/ specialty stores?
The typical Whole Foods and equivalents count (large natural food grocery stores).

But some small natural food stores are half grocery store and half restuarant, and may code as a restaurant. In fact, any store (whether it's natural food or not) that's half one thing and half another may code either way.

And for the ultimate confusing example: Some 7-11's have gas pumps, they tend to code as gas (but no guarantees). But some 7-11's that have never had gas pumps also code as gas, yet other 7-11's code as grocery, and yet other 7-11's code as general merchandise or whatever. Unless you have experience with a particular 7-11, I'd say all bets are off.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:10 am
foo

Programs: MR, TY, UR
Originally Posted by CRAZ8
We use InstaCart for food delivery. They are not coded as a supermarket, and have no plans to - according to their support staff.

For us, the convenience outweighs the points, so we might be looking for a new card with 3X+ points on something else we buy frequently
I wonder if the Citi AT&T Access More would code InstaCart as online shopping and earn 3x TYP?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:06 pm

Raley's groceries?

Let me know if it's impolite to resurrect or hijack this thread. But..
the reason I just got this card was obviously for my 6% cash back on groceries. The majority of my grocery shopping is done at Raley's and I can't find Raley's on the list of grocery stores. Anyone know if Raley's gets the 6%?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by leif2
the reason I just got this card was obviously for my 6% cash back on groceries. The majority of my grocery shopping is done at Raley's and I can't find Raley's on the list of grocery stores. Anyone know if Raley's gets the 6%?
It did last time I shopped there.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
The majority of my grocery shopping is done at Raley's
How have your other purchases coded on previous card statements?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A big grocery store is a supermarket.

A tiny grocery store is not a supermarket.

Ie, a supermarket is a grocery store above a certain size.

That is the colloquial distinction.

Now, how Amex counts that, I dunno.

On my Everyday card, where I get 2x to 2.4x MR on groceries, I don't worry about whether a tiny grocer is a supermarket or not, as long as they code as groceries. Which, btw, some 7-11s do but other 7-11s don't (some 7-11s code as gas instead, whether or not they have gas pumps attached).

On my Everyday card, Ralphs (a Kroger supermarket brand), Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and certain 7-11s all code identically as:
Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries
If you have another card, and are not sure whether supermarkets code differently on it than other groceries, I suggest you make a small purchase at a supermarket, a small purchase at a small grocery, and see if there's any difference in the coding after each purchase posts.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:27 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I don't see what else it could be. Raley's is pretty much the stereotypical American supermarket. In my experience, chain stores are usually classified properly. It's the mom and pop merchants that sometimes are misclassified for whatever reasons.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
A big grocery store is a supermarket.

A tiny grocery store is not a supermarket.

Ie, a supermarket is a grocery store above a certain size.

That is the colloquial distinction.

Now, how Amex counts that, I dunno.
In my mind, a supermarket is a grocery store that also sells some general merchandise, such as health and beauty products, magazines, party supplies, etc. A supercenter combines a supermarket with a discount store that sells clothes, housewares, and so on.

For example, Trader Joe's would be a grocery store but not a supermarket.

But recently, the lines are blurring and the best advice is to make a small test purchase to determine how a particular location codes.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Mediahound
This can be a bit tricky and it depends on the each individual store. Some stores, it can even depend on how each register is programmed.

I know for my local Raley's, it did not count as 'supermarket'.
It might depend on the card network too. I know that my local Target is classified as a grocery store according to Mastercard, for instance.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:11 pm

I just chatted with an Amex rep stating that Instacart now codes as groceries. Has anyone else heard of this change?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by rjruiz
I just chatted with an Amex rep stating that Instacart now codes as groceries. Has anyone else heard of this change?
I just placed an order with Instacart using my AmEx. The pending charge does show as "Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries", which is the same as my local supermarket. I have no idea if it will post that way or if it will qualify for any bonus points, but I can send an update once I learn more.
rjruiz likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by dbenesch
I just placed an order with Instacart using my AmEx. The pending charge does show as "Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries", which is the same as my local supermarket. I have no idea if it will post that way or if it will qualify for any bonus points, but I can send an update once I learn more.
Thanks I appreciate this! I just applied for the EveryDay card and this would be great for me to gain 2x on that.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:44 am

Even though Total Wine is categorized as "Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries" in the transaction detail, it does NOT qualify either.
rjruiz likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:45 pm

Just ordered a few things from Instacart yesterday, posted today and coded as "Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries". Chat couldn't say if it did gain 2x or not, will have to wait until it closes.

After reading T&C, it stated that when you do go to a grocery store, you have to use your physical card and not Apply Pay. Is this true?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by rccsd
Even though Total Wine is categorized as "Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries" in the transaction detail, it does NOT qualify either.
So, you are thinking that AmEx actively excludes this merchant chain even though it is in the right category? So strange. Are you sure it is not a month behind for counting the credit?

For my 3% groceries Blue Cash Everyday, this is THE only category that AmEx counts (even though it is like a month late in terms of how it works to calculate the rebate):

Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries

And AmEx is way more inclusive with its classification of groceries compared to Visa/MC MCC in terms of merchants in particular small neighborhood grocery stores. Lastly, my impression was groceries was a lower discount rate versus other retail categories, so it was in the interest of grocery stores of all types to try and be in that category.

The only one that is not counting for me is when I buy via Google Express as Google is the posting merchant.

Rasheed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.