Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

What is (or not) included in the U.S. Supermarket category?

What is (or not) included in the U.S. Supermarket category?

    Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 8, 18, 4:33 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: rasheed
Wiki Link
Unfortunately, AmEx's listed merchant categories on the posted transactions do not properly distinguish US Supermarkets from smaller grocery stores (which do not qualify for bonus rewards). Small stores that do not qualify will be listed the same, but will accrue the lower base rewards rate.

List of multi-location chains in the US that appear to qualify for bonus rewards (see at bottom for AmEx's rules on this subject):

Albertsons/Safeway family chains
Instacart
Kroger family chains (NOT Fred Meyer though - you need to purchase Kroger gift cards from another member supermarket in that case)
Meijer
Sprouts
Trader Joe's
Walmart - Neighborhood version
Whole Foods

Sometimes individual locations may not work.

At: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...fo/retail.html, AmEx says as follows:
U.S. Supermarkets

To earn additional rewards on supermarket purchases, the supermarket must be located in the U.S.

A supermarket offers a wide variety of food and household products such as meat, fresh produce, dairy, canned and packaged goods, household cleaners, pharmacy products and pet supplies.

(Superstores, convenience stores and warehouse clubs are NOT considered supermarkets.)

Examples of merchants* that accept the Card and where you can earn additional rewards include:
• Gristedes
• Foodtown
• Meijer
• Shoprite
• Stop and Shop
• Vons
• Whole Foods
• Winn-Dixie
• Online supermarkets such as FreshDirect

*This is not a complete list.

Examples of merchants where you will NOT earn additional rewards include:
• Specialty stores (e.g., fish markets, cheese shops, wine shops, and other specialty food stores )
• Superstores (e.g. Amazon, Target and Wal-Mart)
• Warehouse clubs (e.g. BJ's Club)

Supermarket FAQs


What isn’t included in the U.S. Supermarket category?

Specialty food stores, small corner grocery stores, gourmet shops, natural food stores and large superstores including online superstores (e.g. Amazon), warehouses clubs (e.g. BJ's Club) and big box stores (e.g. Wal-Mart) are examples of merchants that are NOT eligible for additional rewards.

I think I should have earned additional rewards on a purchase, what should I do?

If you have questions about whether you should have received additional rewards, please call the number on the back of your Card.

How do you define a Supermarket where I earn additional rewards?

A supermarket offers a wide variety of food and household products such as meat, fresh produce, dairy, canned and packaged goods, household cleaners, pharmacy products and pet supplies.
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Mar 14, 18, 11:44 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 61
Even though Total Wine is categorized as "Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries" in the transaction detail, it does NOT qualify either.
rjruiz likes this.
rccsd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 18, 12:45 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 83
Just ordered a few things from Instacart yesterday, posted today and coded as "Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries". Chat couldn't say if it did gain 2x or not, will have to wait until it closes.

After reading T&C, it stated that when you do go to a grocery store, you have to use your physical card and not Apply Pay. Is this true?
rjruiz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 18, 2:31 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southern California
Programs: WN A+, AA GLD, UA Silver, MR Titanium, Hilton Silver, Avis Preferred, Hertz 5*
Posts: 1,907
Originally Posted by rccsd View Post
Even though Total Wine is categorized as "Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries" in the transaction detail, it does NOT qualify either.
So, you are thinking that AmEx actively excludes this merchant chain even though it is in the right category? So strange. Are you sure it is not a month behind for counting the credit?

For my 3% groceries Blue Cash Everyday, this is THE only category that AmEx counts (even though it is like a month late in terms of how it works to calculate the rebate):

Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries

And AmEx is way more inclusive with its classification of groceries compared to Visa/MC MCC in terms of merchants in particular small neighborhood grocery stores. Lastly, my impression was groceries was a lower discount rate versus other retail categories, so it was in the interest of grocery stores of all types to try and be in that category.

The only one that is not counting for me is when I buy via Google Express as Google is the posting merchant.

Rasheed
rasheed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 18, 4:15 pm
  #34  
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 37,934
Originally Posted by rasheed View Post
... thinking that AmEx actively excludes this merchant chain even though it is in the right category? ...
Yes. I have used Everyday at a tea retailer/cafe which is coded this way and earns only one point per dollar.

Last edited by mia; Mar 20, 18 at 5:54 pm
mia is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 18, 5:29 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 83
I also hate the fact that Amex makes you wait until after the close date to actually see if you gained the 2x or 3x points.
rjruiz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 18, 11:30 am
  #36  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: LGA, JFK
Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, AMEX Plat (Marriott Gold), AMEX Hilton Aspire (Hilton Diamond)
Posts: 88
i was surprised that places like CVS or Walgreens won't count as groceries (at least in my experience). they are logged as medical/heathcare
dpy940307 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 18, 9:38 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 83
Statement just closed recently and I can confirm that Instacart does code as groceries. Yipee!!!
GTITAN likes this.
rjruiz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 18, 2:22 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: YYZ/SFO
Programs: AC*SE100K, SPG Platinum, HHonors Silver, Le Club Accor Silver, Avis First, NEXUS
Posts: 2,622
Originally Posted by dpy940307 View Post
i was surprised that places like CVS or Walgreens won't count as groceries (at least in my experience). they are logged as medical/heathcare
Why would you be surprised? They are not grocery stores. The fact that they sell some grocery items does not make them a grocery store.
krazykanuck, sdsearch and mhdena like this.
D582 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 18, 10:20 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by dbenesch View Post
I just placed an order with Instacart using my AmEx. The pending charge does show as "Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries", which is the same as my local supermarket. I have no idea if it will post that way or if it will qualify for any bonus points, but I can send an update once I learn more.
Just received my statement that shows rewards dollars for my previous statement. Can confirm that all of my Instacart orders were included in the "U.S. Supermarkets" category and received the extra rewards points/dollars. Yay!
GTITAN likes this.
dbenesch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 18, 5:36 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Programs: 20 million points to burn!
Posts: 1,498
ONly Amex codes Neighborhood WalMarts as grocery.
Preacher7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 18, 4:20 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 945
Amex card that offers bonus MR points on every day spend or warehouse stores?

So I was going to get the Amex Everyday Preferred card because I would like to earn a bonus on my grocery shopping, however, I shop at Fred Meyers (west coast thing, I think it’s Kroger on the east coast) and I noticed on my platinum card that it’s coding as “merchandise & supplies – wholesale stores”. Does anyone know of an Amex card that has a bonus category that would include these stores, or does anyone shop at Fred Meyer’s stores with an Amex card that earns an extra bonus? I’m really just looking at extra MR earning cards right now and I know some Amex cards just offer cash back instead…
acarney is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 18, 1:43 am
  #42  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: ATL
Posts: 773
Originally Posted by acarney View Post
So I was going to get the Amex Everyday Preferred card because I would like to earn a bonus on my grocery shopping, however, I shop at Fred Meyers (west coast thing, I think it’s Kroger on the east coast) and I noticed on my platinum card that it’s coding as “merchandise & supplies – wholesale stores”. Does anyone know of an Amex card that has a bonus category that would include these stores, or does anyone shop at Fred Meyer’s stores with an Amex card that earns an extra bonus? I’m really just looking at extra MR earning cards right now and I know some Amex cards just offer cash back instead…
AMEX BBP gets earns 2 MR points per dollar on ALL spend up to 50k with no annual fee.
You do not need to have a business to get this card.
bigbuy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 18, 10:46 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 945
Originally Posted by bigbuy View Post
AMEX BBP gets earns 2 MR points per dollar on ALL spend up to 50k with no annual fee.
You do not need to have a business to get this card.
So I keep hearing that. How do I go about getting the card though? Do I just used my SS# instead of the tax ID, or do I leave that completely blank? For my number of employees and annual earnings do I just list them as 1 (me) and $0? I mean I honestly have nothing that could show as annual earnings if they did a financial review. I don't sell on eBay, I don't do work for my family (that I invoice, or could invoice, I don't want to bring them into any kind of game like that), nothing. Additionally, I don't have much spending that would go onto a business card other then very personal looking things... my weekly shopping, probably cell phone bill, and a couple other very small things like that. Most my other spend is already covered by other cards earning a bonus...
acarney is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 18, 10:48 am
  #44  
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 37,934
Originally Posted by acarney View Post
.... Do I just used my SS# instead of the tax ID,.... For my number of employees and annual earnings do I just list them as 1 (me) and $0?......
Yes
mia is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 18, 11:26 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 151
Originally Posted by acarney View Post
So I keep hearing that. How do I go about getting the card though? Do I just used my SS# instead of the tax ID, or do I leave that completely blank? For my number of employees and annual earnings do I just list them as 1 (me) and $0? I mean I honestly have nothing that could show as annual earnings if they did a financial review. I don't sell on eBay, I don't do work for my family (that I invoice, or could invoice, I don't want to bring them into any kind of game like that), nothing. Additionally, I don't have much spending that would go onto a business card other then very personal looking things... my weekly shopping, probably cell phone bill, and a couple other very small things like that. Most my other spend is already covered by other cards earning a bonus...
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Yes
I read that $0 revenue doesn't work anymore (https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...usiness-cards/).
robchow is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread