Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Giftcard purchase to meet minimum spend requirement?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:05 am

great! Glad you got the points!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by rymetymeuk
great! Glad you got the points!
Surprised he got the points. Congratulations. I think there was some element of luck there.

For others reading this: if you're going to buy GCs or something similar, don't do it directly from the CC issuer. Even if you get lucky and get the bonus, it's still a potential giant red flag down the road if your account ever gets reviewed.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: United, Delta, Hilton
Use the cards quickly...

AMEX starts a "service" fee of $2.00 almost immediately. That will take the sugar out of a "gift" card of $20 or $25. AMEX is gifting themselves.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:47 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mneyrs&mnymiles
AMEX starts a "service" fee of $2.00 almost immediately.
Tell us more specifically about the gift card that you have and the circumstances under which this fee applies.

Are there any fees for the use of the Card after purchase?
The Card has NO FEES AFTER PURCHASE (including dormancy, service or other fees).
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...onditions.html

NO FEES
This Card has NO FEES (including dormancy, service or other fees).
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...iness-CMA.html
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: United, Delta, Hilton
Prepaid "reward" cards, like the ones from Idine.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:56 am
mia

Originally Posted by mneyrs&mnymiles
Prepaid "reward" cards, like the ones from Idine.
Those are not the type of cards discussed in this thread.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 4:26 am

new to amex...

I'm new to Amex. Would amex charge CA fee for buying visa gift cards from giftcardmall.com? Those would be easier to deal with than amex gift cards. Thanks! BamaCbat
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage, British
I just received my 75000 bonus - part of the meeting the minimum spend was buying a $1500 Amex GC directly from Amex. So it worked for me.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:19 am

My understanding was that although you do not earn MR points, it does count towards the qualifying spend threshold. Just like with Serve.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:08 am

All of these comments about not buying directly from Amex make no sense to me. All of the discussion in the MS forum is about buying directly from Amex. I don't see how using a cashback portal (which you should do, obviously) to get to the Amex website would make any difference in this regard.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 7:41 pm

meeting minimum spend requirement.

So, the rule says gift card purchase won't be counted toward meeting minimum spending requirement for welcome bonus, but let's say we buy $50 giftcard from local grocery, such as safeway... how does American Express know $50 is used to buy gift card? American Express doesn't have access to receipt, does it?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Amex may have access to more than you think. I haven't seen this recently, but about 10-15 years ago, I used my Amex to buy some things at Office Depot, and the first few items on the store receipt were also itemized on my Amex statement. At the very least, they may get an indication as to how much of your purchase is a cash equivalent.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:31 am
mia

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
So, the rule says gift card purchase won't be counted toward meeting minimum spending requirement for welcome bonus,
This forum would not exist if American Express practice matched their written policies. I do not think this policy is enforced, or at least not very often. I have appended your question to a thread from this time last year. Read all the way through to see the happy ending .
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: Braniff, TWA, Eastern, Midwest, AA Exec, Club Carlson Gold
I recently completed the $5k minimum spend for an AMEX SPG Business card. Roughly half of my purchases were $500 VGCs from Wal-Mart. Those purchases definitely counted towards my minimum spend requirement, and I also got the SPG points from purchasing them.

I've done this with other AMEX products in the past, as well. AMEX and I are old friends; I have a 30-year history with them; however, many others have had the same results.
Old May 9, 2016, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
You can also buy gift cards at Amazon, Grocery store, gas etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.