Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Revived] Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card 50k Points After $2,000 Spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Revived] Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card 50k Points After $2,000 Spend

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by crimsona
Rubbing salt in the wound, that fee is getting removed June 1st...
Maybe I can ask them to remove it after June 1st? We shall see what happens.

On a happier note, I got the card on 5/5/15, already hit the minimum spend, and the 50k points already posted even though my statement isn't supposed to post until the 29th .
Old May 21, 2015, 7:27 am

So annoyed right now. Been trying to apply for this offer since last night, and every time I get through to the submit page and then it says, "Currently, our systems are not responding. Please try again later or call/contact us as follows:" and then tells me to call. Anybody else having this issue?

Also, what's the word on the new T&C which states, "if we identify you as being a current American Express cardholder, you may not be eligible for this welcome offer"? If I already have a Platinum card, can I get the signup bonus on the PRG? Been thinking of downgrading anyway, and it would be nice to get a bonus on the new card.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:02 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by aeg42
... new T&C which states, "if we identify you as being a current American Express cardholder, you may not be eligible for this welcome offer"?
This clause it not new. The keyword is "may". We have only a handful of reports that American Express customer service mentioned it to explain why a new account bonus had not been awarded. This is NOT the same as the Once-in-a -Lifetime rule which is applied literally if it appears in the offer terms.
Old May 21, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: Brooks Beta Runner
Cool

So annoyed right now. Been trying to apply for this offer since last night, and every time I get through to the submit page and then it says, "Currently, our systems are not responding. Please try again later or call/contact us as follows:" and then tells me to call. Anybody else having this issue?
I just applied for it minutes ago. I was in private browsing on safari and was having the same issue. It took me three attempts until I got a rejection message saying they'd send a letter within 10 days explaining why. I've never been rejected before so that was about as heartbreaking as a credit card can be.

A few minutes later I got an email from amex with a link to check on the status of my application. Turned out that my second attempt had been successful--I had clicked the submit button and the little loading wheel popped up for a few seconds then disappeared, I clicked again and got the systems not responding message--and the third attempt was rejected by amex because I had just applied.

I will now be among the ranks of people who ask cashiers "Do you take American Express." I'm already feeling the superiority and elitism.
Old May 21, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mrpinkca
I will now be among the ranks of people who ask cashiers "Do you take American Express." I'm already feeling the superiority and elitism.
Welcome to Flyer Talk. You're going to love being both an Amex and a Flyer Talk member. Just please don't get too taken with the elitism. I am actually aggravated when a merchant doesn't take Amex, especially when I want to earn miles or points with one of my Amex cards. Having Amex makes me an intelligent consumer, but not more elite than everyone else. Moreover, Amex is not the only high end issuer of prime travel credit cards. There's stiff competition from a half dozen other banks with various Visa Signature and Master Card World Elite products. The diversity of credit products is what keeps the banks competing for our business, which results in better deals for us. Enjoy the ride!
Old May 22, 2015, 7:38 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Mrpinkca

Spoiler alert ... if you have to ask ... they probably don't

But, just about anything travel-related, and almost any type of chain, you should be good. Enjoy the card. And since you're new to Amex, also worth familiarizing yourself with some of the other card benefits, especially their Purchase Protection offering which is actually useful and which I've successfully made several claims with over the years, unlike at many other issuers where such offerings don't seem to be made with any intention ever to pay out.

Also, what's the word on the new T&C which states, "if we identify you as being a current American Express cardholder, you may not be eligible for this welcome offer"? If I already have a Platinum card, can I get the signup bonus on the PRG? Been thinking of downgrading anyway, and it would be nice to get a bonus on the new card.
I can confirm what mia said from personal experience -- used this offer a few weeks ago and received the bonus despite already having the personal Platinum card. You should be fine; the only enforcement of that term seems to be the fact that we all need to use Incognito windows to get these offers to show up. Though obviously (looks like you already realize this) you should sign up for a new card and then cancel the Platinum card if you want to "downgrade" while earning a bonus, rather than ask Amex to convert your existing card, which won't earn any bonus.

Last edited by bgriff; May 22, 2015 at 7:43 am
Old May 22, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: WN (CP 6x, A+ 2x), Marriott (LT Titanium), Hyatt Explorer, Hertz PC, UA/*A Silver
Auto approved for the 50k prg last night, after only a handful of incognito/private browser sessions. So, thx for the link!
Old May 22, 2015, 6:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I keep getting an error when submitting the app. Worked fine last night.

Currently, our systems are not responding. Please try again later or call/contact us as follows:

To apply by phone or for product information -- 1-800-223-2670.

We apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to serving you.
Old May 22, 2015, 6:42 pm

Has anyone seen a 75k offer on this card? I'm thinking to convince my parents to apply and let me have their points...mwahahhaah
Old May 23, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by italdesign
I keep getting an error when submitting the app. Worked fine last night.

Currently, our systems are not responding. Please try again later or call/contact us as follows:

To apply by phone or for product information -- 1-800-223-2670.

We apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to serving you.
Error is still happening (after numerous tries), so I submitted a dummy app, and boom, it works fine. What the hell is Amex up to?

[edit] finally worked. The trick is to first test the address box. If the auto populate works, then the app will. Otherwise it doesn't.

Last edited by italdesign; May 23, 2015 at 4:12 pm
Old May 25, 2015, 12:19 pm

Got it! Still working!
Old May 25, 2015, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
Error is still happening (after numerous tries), so I submitted a dummy app, and boom, it works fine. What the hell is Amex up to?

[edit] finally worked. The trick is to first test the address box. If the auto populate works, then the app will. Otherwise it doesn't.
How do you submit a dummy app? The link I am getting is just providing a box to log-in with an existing Amex account..
Old May 26, 2015, 3:29 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
https://www304.americanexpress.com/c...rds-gold/25330

Used the above link in Chrome Incognito - 50K offer came up right away.

Instant approval.

Many thanks to those who provided data points on receiving 50K MR - now to spend the $1000 and see if I get the points.
Old May 27, 2015, 8:56 am

Applied yesterday, got approval email today. Email says "thank you for choosing AMEX AGAIN"! Should I be concerned that I won't get the points? It's been over a year since I've applied for ANY AMEX card. I'll report back if I get the points.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by orbit1
... Should I be concerned that I won't get the points?
Have you ever before held a Premier Rewards Gold card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.