Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2015?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2015?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:33 am

I was actually going to start a new thread but it looks someone beat me to it - either way, fellow Centurion enthusiast might want to check out the AMEX-Octave - There is no real concrete info regarding the card so I find it very intriguing at this moment.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ch-octave.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=merr...el%3B450%3B286

If you guys feel this post shouldn't be in this thread, I'll of course remove it, but of course all convo regarding the Octave should be directed in the threaded link above.

Last edited by RupertPumpkin; Jan 27, 2015 at 11:44 am
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slay0r
I want the card for the same reason anyone else would want it.. Why does that even matter anyway, I was simply asking the other people who have received invites what they thought about my current situation.... Sorry if I offended anyone with that. You have me entirely wrong, and it's not very nice to paint such a broad stroke over the internet without having zero inkling to what kind of person I am. You are making a shallow judgement based on the fact that I may seem adamant about receiving a credit card? I appreciate the advice but no, I can assure you i'm not in "trouble". I know money doesn't mean everything, I'm never keeping up with the jonese's .. When I make money, i save most and spend some on fun things. I am the most humble down to earth person , I don't do things to brag. I set goals and do them for myself.. when I was 21 and dropped out of school my goal was to move to NYC.. 2 years later I reached that goal.. I set a goal to reach a certain net worth by the age of 26.. I reached that goal. A goal of mine was also to one day get a black card.. and the fact that now, when I'm in a position where my company utilizes American Express on such a high scale, I could actually potentially reach another goal that I set... and I'm proud of that
Well you did not offend me and I personally think you, or anyone else, does not have to justify your desire for a Centurion Card. Many folks want the card for many different reasons. Why is one reason any more acceptable then the other.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS, Emirates iO (Invitation Only)
I've had both the business and personal platinums for about 3-4 years now.

For the past 2 years I've been spending $3-4 million each year with the business and personal combined

Never really looked into the centurion much but recently I've been more interested. I called and my account has been noted for interest. Any idea if I'll get either the personal or business centurion?

The personal card had a lot of luxury spend (First class airfare, Hotels, clubs, restaurants, designer/jewelry stores etc) the business card was more for advertising and other business expenses (machines, etc)

I have the palladium card, and it would be cool to have this too. Yes maybe it's for the show off factor, but I guess I am that type of person

Last edited by Houstonflyer2139; Feb 4, 2015 at 7:23 pm
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:26 pm

^

Sadly, none of us know.

In a similar boat, waiting. Report back if you do manage to get something, please.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:49 am

I bothered calling today. Why I bother is beyond me - the lip service they pay you is down right insulting. After over 30 years of "membership" (and loyalty) and spending well over $500k annually I am fed bs. No never used to be in their vocabulary - it's insulting.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:03 pm

Done with AMEX

@ csesq

I hear you buddy. I have $515K spend last year and similar for years on my personal card + my company uses AMEX Gold for corporate charge. I've had enough of this insulting BS from people making less than my monthly spend on a freaking card.

I highly encourage you to seek alternate options. Like me, it sounds like you have the means to use other solutions. I switched to a Chase-based solution after they last told me "sorry sir, we have to invite you." I'm doing over $150K a month on that one and I get a personal banker that physically visits me to make sure I'm getting the most out of my service. I'll probably do over $2MM on that card this year. PLUS that card has real benefits!

This whole invitation crap is a joke and is incredibly insulting to people who spend the amounts we spend. As a result of this, I've made it my mission to get as many high net worth associates to drop their AMEX. I also aggressively insult their "brand" at every opportunity. I've had success. The benefits of AMEX don't exist. One buddy who has a $400K spend was turned back by a United lounge. He didn't realize he lost that years ago!

Seriously. I know AMEX thinks this Black Card nonsense is huge for them, but pissing off motivated rich people is never a good idea.

I hope AMEX reads this.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold/ADM Club, VS Gold, DL Plat, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, GlobalEntry, Amex Centurion
My father got the invite shortly after christmas and accepted it a week later. Service has been hit or miss- very easy enrolling in all the elite statuses but just providing the phone rep with his membership numbers (I handled that) but travel service just seems like platinum travel and nothing to wow me. Concierge has been good.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Sean2024
I switched to a Chase-based solution after they last told me "sorry sir, we have to invite you." I'm doing over $150K a month on that one and I get a personal banker that physically visits me to make sure I'm getting the most out of my service. I'll probably do over $2MM on that card this year. PLUS that card has real benefits!
Useful/interesting feedback. What Chase card(s) did you switch to, if I may ask?

Originally Posted by TyAABOS
My father got the invite shortly after christmas and accepted it a week later. Service has been hit or miss- very easy enrolling in all the elite statuses but just providing the phone rep with his membership numbers (I handled that) but travel service just seems like platinum travel and nothing to wow me. Concierge has been good.
Any details about his financials that you're comfortable sharing? Spending amounts, spending habits/patterns, years with Amex, years holding a Plat card?

Much appreciated!
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:15 pm

I switched to a Chase-based solution after they last told me "sorry sir, we have to invite you." I'm doing over $150K a month on that one and I get a personal banker that physically visits me to make sure I'm getting the most out of my service. I'll probably do over $2MM on that card this year. PLUS that card has real benefits!
Useful/interesting feedback. What Chase card(s) did you switch to, if I may ask?

Originally Posted by TyAABOS
Any details about his financials that you're comfortable sharing? Spending amounts, spending habits/patterns, years with Amex, years holding a Plat card?

Much appreciated!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:12 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by GrnLantern
Yes, I'm also curious about the Chase product, and the "real" benefits. Would very much appreciate if you elaborate, Sean2024.

Accepted our invitation at the beginning of this month. So far, very impressed about the two "Centurion Relatiemanager" that were assigned to our account. They also act as a personal liaison to Centurion Travel service; which is very nice. I'm quite the fan of "one point of contact." So far, they seem to be providing "real" service. 1.5 membership rewards points to €1 is also nice; with an extra 1 point for travel service bookings. (so effectively 2.5 points to €1 for travel related charges)
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:31 am

It's comforting to know I'm not the only one. These days I use my everyday preferred for the 50% bonus. I use the points a lot so nice to have a lot in reserve in case. My bank recently gave me their crystal card (it's like platinum Amex) which is top tier respected has a high limit and decent programs. Starting to use that - similar perks.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:35 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by csesq
It's comforting to know I'm not the only one. These days I use my everyday preferred for the 50% bonus. I use the points a lot so nice to have a lot in reserve in case. My bank recently gave me their crystal card (it's like platinum Amex) which is top tier respected has a high limit and decent programs. Starting to use that - similar perks.
csesq, Can you elaborate on the "similar perks?" Elite status tiers, VIP programs, hotel upgrades, concierge service etc. etc. (most interested in details about the elite status tiers)
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:48 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
I've had enough of this insulting BS from people making less than my monthly spend on a freaking card.
They are just the messenger, no need to disparage their income level.

This whole invitation crap is a joke and is incredibly insulting to people who spend the amounts we spend. As a result of this, I've made it my mission to get as many high net worth associates to drop their AMEX. I also aggressively insult their "brand" at every opportunity. I've had success. The benefits of AMEX don't exist. One buddy who has a $400K spend was turned back by a United lounge. He didn't realize he lost that years ago!

Seriously. I know AMEX thinks this Black Card nonsense is huge for them, but pissing off motivated rich people is never a good idea.

I hope AMEX reads this.
I realise sometimes venting is good therapy, but if the benefits are so bad, why do you even want the card?

And Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:49 am

@ Dr. Williams.

Thank you. I enjoy this forum. Have read for years. Finally compelled to post.

I'm not disparaging their income level only painting a picture of spend level and the paradox in the American Express customer service model.

Great question on why do I want the card. My wife asks me the same question. I really can't answer. I think it's more about being told I can't have it without explanation. I think I'm still in shock that a for profit business would tell its top customers - who want to give them more money for nothing - that they will be noted and considered. The hubris is spectacular.

BTW - I called and threatened to cancel, so they waived my annual Plat fee. Still moving all my spend to Chase and UBS Visa.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
@ Dr. Williams.

Thank you. I enjoy this forum. Have read for years. Finally compelled to post.

I'm not disparaging their income level only painting a picture of spend level and the paradox in the American Express customer service model.
What paradox ?

You are still suggesting that people who want to service you need to earn more than your monthly spend in order to be worthy ?

I think it's more about being told I can't have it without explanation.
Which is the marketing technique they have been applying since the launch of this product. This thread and all the references to black cards in popular music and movies proves that it works.

I think I'm still in shock that a for profit business would tell its top customers - who want to give them more money for nothing - that they will be noted and considered.
And this sentiment proves that they disenfranchise a lot of good clients.

They want people hungry for this thing... And they are doing a great job at that. But then they have to keep numbers very limited and this results in some people spending a few M over a year or two and not get invited. Giving it out on request will damage the mystique. Not giving it to big spenders with top FICO even when they ask for it risks them moving their spend to other premium cards or even cash-back cards...

If I were in charge I honestly wouldn't know how to best approach this. I surely don't want clients with millions of dollars in annual transactions to shift these off-network. But I can't charge 5k a year in fees if I commoditize Centurion.

Last edited by forumpersona999; Feb 11, 2015 at 11:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.