Delta (G,P,R) --> Simply Cash
Print Wikipost

USA card product conversions...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

cant convert FROM spg i presume?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:13 pm

SPG, Hilton, and Delta are all interchangeable. They're the same "type" of product at Amex.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:46 am

I have an old American Express Platinum Cash Rebate card that I don't use anymore, any suggestions on what I should PC that to? I already have the Everyday card.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 4:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by cxua
... American Express Platinum Cash Rebate...
Was this a personal card or a business card?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Was this a personal card or a business card?
Personal card.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:33 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Amex Blue Sky: UA TravelBank liquidation + EveryDay Product Change

Hi there,

For a few years, I had the Amex Blue Sky, which I thought was good because it returned 1.33% in the form of travel redemptions. I've gotten decent value out of that; but I now have better options for spending: (Amex PRG + Plat; CSP). It's a no-fee card and one of my longest running accounts, so I don't want to lose it. I'm thinking about trying to product change it to a card that ears MR. I think the no-fee EveryDay card is a good option. Few questions:

1) With the 20% bonus and no fee, it seems like a great card to put my no-category every day spend (e.g. online purchases), and earn 2.16c per dollar (if valuing MR at 1.8). Right?

2) If I do this, I'm going to be spending essentially zero on my Plat. Is there any downside to this?

3) Will Amex allow the PC?

4) The card will keep the same number, and will be the same account on my credit report, right?

5) I have about 8k blue sky points to liquidate. I'm thinking that I'll just buy a UA travel certificate through the gift registry, and apply 7500 points towards that purchase. Then, I'll lose the remaining 500 or so points. Is this a good strategy?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:42 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SeoxyS
3) Will Amex allow the PC?
I think you will need to ask, because these days they have a small menu of change options for each card, as discussed here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...nversions.html
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Thanks, this might prove trickier than I'd imagined. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

I'll try using the airline gift registry option to liquidate the points on the card. Worst case scenario, I end up depositing $100 towards my next UA purchase.

What do you all think of the EveryDay card in order to earn more than the base 1x points on non-categorized purchases (e.g. online, etc)
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:55 am

My 1 yr on Delta gold is about to come up and I don't want the AF but I do want to product change to keep the AAoA since it's back dated to 2008. So if I were to switch to SPG, would I obtain the sign up bonus as well? If not, then it seems like a waste for me to go to SPG and lose the opportunity for a bonus for a lifetime. If that's the case, then it's probably nest to go to the Hilton card with no AF. Thoughts?

This might be some good information to add to the Wiki.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Tried to convert a Blue Cash Everyday to Everyday or Blue (to then switch to Everyday)... no dice. Blue Cash Everyday and Blue Cash Preferred can switch back and forth.

Originally Posted by New to FF
So if I were to switch to SPG, would I obtain the sign up bonus as well?
No. Sign-up bonuses are only for signing up for new accounts, not for conversions. They already have you as a customer, so why give you an incentive to remain a customer?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:19 pm

Could someone please update regarding Hard / soft credit card pull on the conversion?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by paytonc
Tried to convert a Blue Cash Everyday to Everyday or Blue (to then switch to Everyday)... no dice. Blue Cash Everyday and Blue Cash Preferred can switch back and forth.

No. Sign-up bonuses are only for signing up for new accounts, not for conversions. They already have you as a customer, so why give you an incentive to remain a customer?
Well, one could always hope So my best bet would be to go for the Hilton no fee.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 2:42 pm

Amex Product Change: Blue Sky -> Blue Sky Preferred

I'm on a chat with an Amex CSR right now and was inquiring about changing my Blue Sky into anything else (e.g. Everyday). I was told I can only change within the Blue Sky product family, but I can upgrade to the Blue Sky Preferred.

The card earns 1x on everything, 2x on hotels, car rentals, and US restaurant. (Similar to the CSP). Points are worth exactly 1.33c/point since they redeem 7500/$100.

The interesting bit is: the card has a $75 fee, but a $100 yearly airline incidental credit (like the gold / platinum). Presumably that can be liquidated using the Gift Registry on UA or MPX. So essentially, the card has a net negative cost.

Thinking about doing the change, because why not.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by SeoxyS
I'm on a chat with an Amex CSR right now and was inquiring about changing my Blue Sky into anything else (e.g. Everyday). I was told I can only change within the Blue Sky product family, but I can upgrade to the Blue Sky Preferred.

The card earns 1x on everything, 2x on hotels, car rentals, and US restaurant. (Similar to the CSP). Points are worth exactly 1.33c/point since they redeem 7500/$100.

The interesting bit is: the card has a $75 fee, but a $100 yearly airline incidental credit (like the gold / platinum). Presumably that can be liquidated using the Gift Registry on UA or MPX. So essentially, the card has a net negative cost.

Thinking about doing the change, because why not.
I just checked the terms for the BlueSky Preferred Airline Allowance, included below. Looks even worse than the gold/plat credits since you have to purchase a ticket with the card and call in to request the credits. Too bad, I would have done this too for a BlueSky we have lying around.

How it Works
Call 877-486-6406 to request a credit for Flight Incidental Fees that you've purchased with your Card within 6 billing cycles of the fee appearing on your billing statement.
If the Amex representative is unable to locate both the original airfare ticket charge and the Flight Incidental Fee on your statements, additional proof may be requested for approval such as a copy of your receipts showing the itemized expense incurred.
If your request is approved, you'll see the allowance in the form of a statement credit within 7-10 business days of qualification.
You can request credit for as many purchases as you have made in one calendar year until the $100 allowance has been reached.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by hipp0

How it Works
Call 877-486-6406 to request a credit for Flight Incidental Fees that you've purchased with your Card within 6 billing cycles of the fee appearing on your billing statement.
If the Amex representative is unable to locate both the original airfare ticket charge and the Flight Incidental Fee on your statements, additional proof may be requested for approval such as a copy of your receipts showing the itemized expense incurred.
If your request is approved, you'll see the allowance in the form of a statement credit within 7-10 business days of qualification.
You can request credit for as many purchases as you have made in one calendar year until the $100 allowance has been reached.
Is this new language for Amex? Wonder will this make its way to the other cards that have a $100 credit for Flight Incidental Fees?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.