Green, Gold, Platinum <--> Green, Gold, Platinum

CREDIT
Delta (G,P,R) --> Simply Cash
Print Wikipost

USA card product conversions...

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: DL GM / PC APM / SPG GM / GP PM
FYI no luck on conversion so far ....they are telling me delta can only convert to delta
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by N615HL
Any recent success with PCC’ing a delta card to a SPG?
I just tried to PC an SPG card (don't want to pay AF anymore), and the CSR said that the SPG card has no upgrade paths.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I just tried to PC an SPG card (don't want to pay AF anymore), and the CSR said that the SPG card has no upgrade paths.
Doesn't have a downgrade path either.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by N615HL
FYI no luck on conversion so far ....they are telling me delta can only convert to delta
Same. They just told me that today.

Ironically, my current Delta card used to be an SPG card (2 years ago). I wanted to convert it back to an SPG card today, and I was told Delta can only convert to other Delta cards.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:44 am

Cancel or Product Change Delta Gold cards

My wife and I have 3 Delta gold cards (2 personal and 1 biz) and the annual fee just hit in late July. We basically just sock drawered the cards as we got the sign up bonus last year. Does anyone know if there are any good product change options or is my best bet just to cancel all 3 of them?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:04 am

SPG Luxury is out.

I'll try again today to convert Delta to SPG. Actually what I'm trying to do is convert Delta Gold Personal to SPG Luxury, and SPG Biz to Delta Gold Biz. (Essentially swapping since SPG Luxury is personal only.)
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:59 pm

Official confirmation today: SPG can only convert to SPG. Delta to Delta.

I applied for the SPG Luxury card, but I'm definitely over the limit, so we'll see what happens.
levilevi likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:07 pm

Confirmed that I was rejected due to being over the limit.

I called recon, they refused. Said I had to cancel enough cards to be below the limit by 1, and then they will re-submit the application for manual review (won't review it with me right then and there on the phone).

My suggested course of action to them was to close an existing card that I don't use much (and haven't been able to convert to anything useful) and instantly replace it with the SPG Luxury card. They said they aren't "capable of doing that." I will note that this is something I've done in the past, though it was several years ago.
levilevi likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:18 pm

Final update from me on this front... Looks like I can never get a new Amex credit card again because I'm way over the limit of 5 total (personal *plus* business).

I reached out to the executive office for support to see if they could convince leadership on the card lending side to make an exception or to simultaneously close one card (that isn't eligible for a PC to SPG) and open the new SPG Luxury card, transferring the credit line over.

I was told it's now impossible to do that. I would have to close enough credit cards to bring me down to *four* total, and then they will be able to open the new SPG Luxury Card for me.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me.

Ending the Delta card <-> SPG card product conversion track is a horrible thing. (Mainly because I have a Delta card solely because I PC'd my personal SPG card many years ago over to it -- that was a mistake!)
Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by GrnLantern
.... have to close enough credit cards to bring me down to *four* total, and then they will be able to open ....
This is a problem because?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by mia
This is a problem because?
Isn't closing 4 cards that have been open forever and ever (in favor of 1 single brand new account) a bad thing with respect to credit scores long term?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
In my understanding closed accounts remain on our credit history for a decade after they are closed. I daresay that if you hold more than five credit cards American Express will eventually close some of them anyway.

Also, bear in mind that the Business cards do not even appear on your personal credit report.

Last edited by mia; Sep 8, 2018 at 2:00 am
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by mia
In my understanding closed accounts remain on our credit history for a decade after they are closed.
That's correct. Although, once they're closed they stop getting older, and thus their meaningful impact on average age of accounts diminishes over time. That's what I'm most worried about.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by GrnLantern
Although, once they're closed they stop getting older, and thus their meaningful impact on average age of accounts diminishes over time. That's what I'm most worried about.
Incorrect. For each card that appears on your credit report--whether open or closed, FICO calculates it's age as the difference between it's opening date and the current date.

The only thing you would need to be concerned about closing cards is the effect on utilization % due to now reduced available credit. You sound like someone that has plenty of cards that this should be much of an issue.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Incorrect. For each card that appears on your credit report--whether open or closed, FICO calculates it's age as the difference between it's opening date and the current date.

The only thing you would need to be concerned about closing cards is the effect on utilization % due to now reduced available credit. You sound like someone that has plenty of cards that this should be much of an issue.
Thank you for the explanation, and yes indeed! But, does it not apply that its age is not fixed and thus doesn't continue to increase the average age of all accounts across the entirety of my report? It still contributes positively, but it'll no longer increase in its positive contribution to the overall average age of accounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.