Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

MR USA: 40% transfer bonus to British Airways 12.15.2014 to 1.31.2015

View Poll Results: Which Membership Rewards to BAEC transfer bonus pattern do you prefer?
One 40% transfer bonus per year (e.g. 2014)
90.30%
Three smaller (20%, 30%, 35%) bonuses per year (e.g. 2013)
9.70%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
On January 28, 2015 British Airways announced changes to Executive Club earning and redemption charts which will affect the value of Avois points.

Click here to join the discussion in the BAEC forum: Executive Club Changes
Print Wikipost

MR USA: 40% transfer bonus to British Airways 12.15.2014 to 1.31.2015

Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:02 am

xferred 100K MR points to BA Avios.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: Amex, AA, BA, Delta, True Blue, Hyatt, Fairmont, Marriott, HH, IHG
Smile

Too good to pass up. I transferred 120k MR points today for 168k avios. Thanks flyer talk! I would have never known otherwise.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA AA DL SW Marriott
Thank you Mia for the info. This is way easier than adding AU to AmEx account.

Originally Posted by mia
You may wish to read about BAEC's Household Account feature:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-accounts.html

Last edited by mia; Jan 7, 2015 at 8:04 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Moved 100 got 140, with the merger, I see a lot of weekend day trips,
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: SPG/MR Plat, HH Gold, UA Silver
Have ~125K MR. Planning on cancelling the Plat this month. I also have no use for award travel for the next 20 months.

Would you transfer to Avios and let it sit there (maybe spend on a small trip to keep from expiring) or let it sit with a free Amex MR card?

Don't know which one will devalue faster!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:07 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by forkknifespoon
...no use for award travel for the next 20 months....let it sit with a free Amex MR card?
I would apply for the free Everyday card to preserve the balance and the ability to transfer when needed.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...day-cards.html
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by forkknifespoon
Have ~125K MR. Planning on cancelling the Plat this month. I also have no use for award travel for the next 20 months.

Would you transfer to Avios and let it sit there (maybe spend on a small trip to keep from expiring) or let it sit with a free Amex MR card?

Don't know which one will devalue faster!
Rate of devaluations are hard to predict. I know on a J award BA wants 180 k avios plus huge fees vs. say AA (incl partners) need 130 K miles with little fees ? So I am keeping my MRs for now. if a bonus comes up on SQ, EY, Ek CX comes up I will jump !
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:17 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by HMPS
...on a J award BA wants 180 k avios plus huge fees
This depends on the route. MIA-LHR-MIA is 100,000 Avois plus fees.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by mia
This depends on the route. MIA-LHR-MIA is 100,000 Avois plus fees.
Yes. Should have specified USA to INDIA route
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HMPS
Yes. Should have specified USA to INDIA route
In this case you should look at US program or AS program and see if you could earn pts for these 2 programs.

Hint, check the AS program CX chart and you would be very pleasantly surprised.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: None
Quick question - I will soon start working in India (Airport: HYD) for the next 3-4 years and would like to know if BA Avios can be used in the same distance based calculation (assuming a partner flies there) or use for Asia. I am trying to see if I can benefit from any short-haul redemption's.

Appreciate any responses from Asia/ India based FT'ers.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Hmmmm....Northeast based flyer here...wondering if maybe I should move 300K MRs to BA with this Bonus. I have plenty of DL Pesos, so I would not be transferring MRs there. Not sure where I would move them if it wasn't to BA. BA has good value through American and Cathay. Decisions. Decisions.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BADELAYS
Quick question - I will soon start working in India (Airport: HYD) for the next 3-4 years and would like to know if BA Avios can be used in the same distance based calculation (assuming a partner flies there) or use for Asia. I am trying to see if I can benefit from any short-haul redemption's.

Appreciate any responses from Asia/ India based FT'ers.
As long as a OneWorld member serves the routes, Avios can be used. The distance redemption does not have any geographic restriction. We routinely use them for intra-Europe, intra-Asia (CX and MH) and intra-Australia.

Key is your routes must be served by BA partners.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:29 am

How do you guys manage to score any economy flights? Most dates and trips that I've checked simply say unavailable.

I want to transfer points from two accounts but am afraid I won't have the opportunity to use them.

And from what I understand most other miles programs rarely offer any bonuses for transfers.

By the way I'm mostly looking for domestic US flights, or maybe KLM or Lufthansa.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by alex1089
How do you guys manage to score any economy flights? Most dates and trips that I've checked simply say unavailable.

I want to transfer points from two accounts but am afraid I won't have the opportunity to use them.

And from what I understand most other miles programs rarely offer any bonuses for transfers.

By the way I'm mostly looking for domestic US flights, or maybe KLM or Lufthansa.
Where and how are you searching? For domestic, you can search AA.com. To use Avios you must find MileSAAver space, preferably on direct routes (Avios charges on each segment). When you find it on AA.com, you can then either feed it into BA.com, which doesn't always work, or call BA to book. Do a Google or FT search for "Booking American awards with Avios" for more detail.

For KLM flights, you'll need to transfer MRs to Delta or Flying Blue. Not sure of a way, off the top of my head to book Lufthansa with MRs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.