Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swapping out AUs on Platinum card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Swapping out AUs on Platinum card

Anyone ever "churn" AUs on their Platinum card? Since it's $175 whether you have 1, 2, or 3, I might as well fill the extra spot on my card.

i.e. traveling with a group of friends, would like to get the Centurion lounge access rather than $50 per person above the 2-guest limit. They'd be able to cash in on Global Entry too, but after the trip, I'd probably fill the spot with a family member.

Can I add/drop people at will without fear of repercussions?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: Delta, SPG
Originally Posted by jft3
Anyone ever "churn" AUs on their Platinum card? Since it's $175 whether you have 1, 2, or 3, I might as well fill the extra spot on my card.

i.e. traveling with a group of friends, would like to get the Centurion lounge access rather than $50 per person above the 2-guest limit. They'd be able to cash in on Global Entry too, but after the trip, I'd probably fill the spot with a family member.

I would assume once you have made 3 changes its like having 3 other cards...
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:25 am
Original Poster

I'm not sure I understand.

Are you saying once I swap out for a 4th authorized user, I'll get charged another $175 on top of the original $175 I was already charged? I don't plan on having more than 3 concurrent AUs (I don't think it's possible anyways).
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: Delta, SPG
Not sure where you are from, but here is the US version.

This fee is on the
Rates and Fees Table
on page 1 of Part 1. We will charge $175 for up to 3 additional
Platinum Cards, $175 for each additional Platinum Card after the first 3, $45 for up to 5 additional Gold
Cards, and $45 for each additional Gold Card thereafter

So. the 4th, would cost you 175, the 5th would cost you 175 etc...

You should just get 3 platinum cards and give them to 3 people. I wouldn't try to cycle as I think each cycle will show as new user. I doubt you are granted dropped users to offset your total.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
I think he (or she) wants to cycle through the first three cards. Not add a fourth or fifth. I don't see why they wouldn't let you because you can add or delete supplemental cards at your will. So just delete one of the three and add a different person the next day.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:38 am

Programs: Chase Ultimate, Amex, Delta, AA, BA Avios, United, US Airways, Marriott, Hilton
I believe jandersinc is correct. The security and fraud dept may ask you to explain though if you do so in a short period of time or repeatedly.
Old May 22, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3.2MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I am thinking about getting the Business Platinum. I am one of 3 authorized users on my spouse's MB Plat. We would like to then replace me with another family member if can be done without any added fees.
Old May 22, 2015, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jft3

I'd be very careful about giving AU cards on your account to others. Remember that you're responsible.....especially if they're irresponsible.................

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.