Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check from AMEX for rewards reimbursement? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Check from AMEX for rewards reimbursement? Why?

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I had the Gold card until Jan. 2013, and they approved my application yesterday. I have no clue if they'll honor the 50,000 offer, but it's worth a shot.
Well, the bonus never appeared, so a shrug and an "Oh, well" seemed appropriate. Then today I received a letter from AmEx with the words "We are sending you the enclosed check as reimbursement for the value of Delta SkyMiles that we were unable to apply to your account at the time you earned them. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

At the bottom was a check for $250, which is less than my valuation of 50,000 SkyMiles, but since I wasn't really expecting anything, I'm quite happy.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Old Oct 4, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
$250 check from AMEX for reimbursement? Why?

Just got a $250 check from AMEX :

"We are sending you the enclosed check as reimbursement for the value of Membership Rewards points that we were unable to apply to your account at the time you earned them"

I have NO idea why I got these points. Any ideas?

I just applied and received a AMEX Delta Biz card recently.

I also recently called and asked if I could use my Delta Amex to get into the Delta lounge for $29 even though I didn't have it. They said they would give me 3000 miles. Would this $250 be for the 3000 that they said they would credit me? Very strange.

I'm leery to call and ask as I'm happy to take the cash
Old Oct 4, 2014, 6:35 pm

My buddy got the same but for $300. I'm going to check my mail..
Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:19 pm

Interestingly, the same thing seems to be happening to SPG cardholders. Thread here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-spg-amex.html
Old Oct 4, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Craziness. Better cash it quick
Old Oct 4, 2014, 10:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Amex has too much profit??
Old Oct 5, 2014, 2:16 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
man, where's my check
Old Oct 5, 2014, 3:17 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
This happens periodically, when they audit. See this brief discussion from early 2013:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-mr-legit.html
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:53 pm

I got the letter last month for membership rewards and it was for $1. I sorta chuckled and set it aside. Yesterday, got check for $200 for Starwood and spouse got $100 for membership rewards. I almost threw them away by accident. Looked like the same pin or account status envelopes they send out and almost went thru the shredder. Hopefully.... haven't done it before. :|
Old Oct 19, 2014, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Girlfriend just received an AMEX check for $1000.

Cannot be explained. She got AMEX Platinum spring 2013 when she received a 100,000 targeted offer. She earned/has the miles.

~11-months later (spring 2014), moved her to AMEX Everyday Preferred so she would keep miles, then cancelled Platinum (didn't want to pay the $450 fee).

She has all the miles she was promised. Received $1000 check last week. Bizarre.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by shablamb
Girlfriend just received an AMEX check for $1000.

Cannot be explained. She got AMEX Platinum spring 2013 when she received a 100,000 targeted offer. She earned/has the miles.

~11-months later (spring 2014), moved her to AMEX Everyday Preferred so she would keep miles, then cancelled Platinum (didn't want to pay the $450 fee).

She has all the miles she was promised. Received $1000 check last week. Bizarre.
Sounds like a nice surprise!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: US CP
What rate is AMEX paying for my missing SPG points?

I received a $300 check from AMEX for my SPG Business card (closed account btw) stating that there was an error and they had trouble crediting my SPG account with all the points I had earned. I called and asked how many points I was missing but they couldn't tell me. I opened an inquiry and got the response that they had no idea how many points I was missing but $300 was the correct amount of money owed. What rate are they paying for my points? I assume the rate is terrible but I have no idea. This card has also been closed for at least 12 months.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Heels05
... What rate are they paying for my points? I assume the rate is terrible but I have no idea. ...
I don't think the price that American Express would have paid Starwood for the points enters into the calculation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.