Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion DL Platinum Medallion status changes from "earned" to "complimentary" 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion DL Platinum Medallion status changes from "earned" to "complimentary" 2015

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:30 pm

I received my Centurion card last summer and from that point until the end of 2017, flew a total of nine (9) Delta flight segments. Two were award tickets, the rest purchased (all first class). My understanding is that I accrued seven (7) MQS for these flights because award travel does not count. However, the rule to move to "full platinum" under the Centurion status is "after the member flies a minimum of 8 Delta-marketed and operated flight segments", as quoted on this thread and still on the Delta website.

I never received my Platinum choice benefits for 2017 and have written a note to Delta on their portal. This should be interesting.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by nyc2cal
I received my Centurion card last summer and from that point until the end of 2017, flew a total of nine (9) Delta flight segments. Two were award tickets, the rest purchased (all first class). My understanding is that I accrued seven (7) MQS for these flights because award travel does not count. However, the rule to move to "full platinum" under the Centurion status is "after the member flies a minimum of 8 Delta-marketed and operated flight segments", as quoted on this thread and still on the Delta website.
You point out above that you got credit for 7 MQS, and that 8 are required to get full Platinum status, What is the issue?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:23 pm

8 MQS are not required to get full Platinum status. "8 Delta-marketed and operated flight segments" are, which is less restrictive language than a MQS.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:08 pm

My experience is that award Travel does not count toward the 8 segment requirement - notwithstanding the wording which suggests it should.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
My experience is that award Travel does not count toward the 8 segment requirement - notwithstanding the wording which suggests it should.
Of course it doesn't. Would you expect Buddy Pass travel to count? What about employee travel pass benefits? What if you're a crew member and commute from your city of residence to your home base? What if you apply for a job at DL and they fly you from your home city to Atlanta and back for an interview? What if you were an Air Marshal that happened to have a Centurion card and flew at least 8 segments on DL over the course of a year? None of those situations are specifically excluded from the Centurion upgrade-Platinum-to-full-status criteria that you posted, but no reasonable person would expect them to be considered qualifying segments.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:49 pm

Delta is fully capable of writing what they mean. “After the member flies eight mileage qualifying segments” would have been simpler to write if that were the intent. Unlike your examples, I don’t feel I’m asking for a fast one to be pulled, since they undoubtedly prefer I flew one round trip using their mileage program versus a competitor’s (in addition to seven first class paid segments in less than six months). The intent of this curious carve out of Platinum benefits seems to be they don’t want a Centurion member to get more of the tangible Platinum consideration if s/he doesn’t meaningfully use the airline.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nyc2cal
<snip> The intent of this curious carve out of Platinum benefits seems to be they don’t want a Centurion member to get more of the tangible Platinum consideration if s/he doesn’t meaningfully use the airline.
Ya think? Do you find this a surprising revelation?

Regards
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Does anyone know if this is still in effect?

I just reached 8 MQS for 2018, and have not received any notice of receiving the withheld benefits like the Choice benefit.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by some dude
Does anyone know if this is still in effect?

I just reached 8 MQS for 2018, and have not received any notice of receiving the withheld benefits like the Choice benefit.
Still in effect - my Choice Benefits access unlocked earlier this year after I had done 8 revenue segments on DL.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Originally Posted by RichardMannion
Still in effect - my Choice Benefits access unlocked earlier this year after I had done 8 revenue segments on DL.
Thanks.

I checked, it is unlocked, just no email.

Do you know if this will unlock the 2019 benefits when they are released in 02/2019? It's a bit lame having the 2018 benefits released in December if this didn't also qualify for the benefits next year.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: Various
True - I never got a mail either. I just knew from previous years that I had to do a number of segments before I could get the benefit.

AFAIK, you have to do the segments within each year to unlock that calendar year Choice benefits. Not an issue for me, as I normally take the miles or the travel credit which don't have an expiry date per se. Text at the bottom of this page clarifies the timings and criteria:https://www.delta.com/en_US/skymiles...hoice-benefits
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Centurion and delta choice benefits…

Dear Centurion card holders,

I understand that we have to fly eight segment on Delta to unlock the choice benefits. At what point in the year does the ticker begin? Does it depends on when our centurion account and our Delta account were activated? Does it begin on January one every year? February one? I’m getting conflicting information from Delta and I would love some clarity!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70
Dear Centurion card holders,

I understand that we have to fly eight segment on Delta to unlock the choice benefits. At what point in the year does the ticker begin? Does it depends on when our centurion account and our Delta account were activated? Does it begin on January one every year? February one? I’m getting conflicting information from Delta and I would love some clarity!
It is January 1st.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by sdix
It is January 1st.
so if I fly eight segments between January and February, I elect the choice benefits upon the eighth segment.

if I’ve in-flight 40 segments between March and December, none of those will count toward the following year‘s 8 segments. Right?!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Orthogonally related, does anyone know offhand when would be the optimal time of year to gift silver medallion status to another person? As in, when to do it if I want them to enjoy the maximum timeframe of benefits from sliver medallion status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.