Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the Amex Plat Worth the Annual Fee?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:04 am

Considering cancelling my Platinum card but want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

-Have redeemed the $200 airline credit both for 2014 and 2015 ($400 total)
-Scheduled to get TSA pre-check in a couple weeks

Card is up for renewal in July 2015; I plan to cancel it once I get the credit for the TSA precheck

However I haven't used the 100k reward points yet, and the two airlines I mostly fly (United and Southwest) are not part of their transfer plan. So to keep the points I'm planning on asking to be downgraded to the free credit card (Everyday?)

Am I missing anything? Are there any other benefits I should get in on before cancelling?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by redwing634
... asking to be downgraded to the free credit card (Everyday?)
It is unlikely (not impossible) that this will work because Platinum is a charge card, and Everyday is a credit card. Instead, I would apply for an Everyday card to earn the 10,000 point new account bonus.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mia
It is unlikely (not impossible) that this will work because Platinum is a charge card, and Everyday is a credit card. Instead, I would apply for an Everyday card to earn the 10,000 point new account bonus.
I have tried and never succeeded in PCing any charge card to a credit card or vice versa. Just apply for the EveryDay, wait a little while for it to link to your existing MR account, then call to cancel the Plat.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by mia
Sounds good, and just to confirm, the Everyday card never has offers greater than 10,000 points? Just wanted to make sure before I go ahead and apply.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:59 am
mia

...never has offers greater than 10,000 points?
The card has existed for about a year. To my knowledge there has never been a public offer for more than 10,000 points, but there have been targeted offers for a bit more which you can research here. Bear in mind that some posters have been imprecise, and may mean Everyday Preferred when they write Everyday:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...day-cards.html
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds good, and just to confirm, the Everyday card never has offers greater than 10,000 points? Just wanted to make sure before I go ahead and apply.
It had an offer of 10,000 points plus 1-year free Amazon Prime, but the 1-year free Amazon Prime disappeared a few weeks ago. So now it's just 10,000 points and nothing else.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
The EDP card might be a good replacement for the JetBlue card when the change comes at the end of the year.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
It had an offer of 10,000 points plus 1-year free Amazon Prime, but the 1-year free Amazon Prime disappeared a few weeks ago. So now it's just 10,000 points and nothing else.
Yes, this was a public (non-targeted) offer. But it's gone now.

I pay for amazon prime anyway, so that saved me $99.

I was hoping that this was the beginning of a partnership with amazon where they would offer free prime with their cards (instead of, or, in addition to, ShopRunner) but, no such luck. Shoprunner is nice to have but I so rarely shop anywhere other than Amazon that it's just not worth that much to me -- I certainly wouldn't pay for it.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:12 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Yes, this was a public (non-targeted) offer. But it's gone now.

I pay for amazon prime anyway, so that saved me $99.

I was hoping that this was the beginning of a partnership with amazon where they would offer free prime with their cards (instead of, or, in addition to, ShopRunner) but, no such luck. Shoprunner is nice to have but I so rarely shop anywhere other than Amazon that it's just not worth that much to me -- I certainly wouldn't pay for it.
I too am very disappointed that Amex doesn't get some sort of permanent Amazon Prime offer for their card holders. Amazon seems to prefer to go it alone except for their cobranded card with Chase.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:58 pm

I am waiting until the end of April to see if the rumoured new benefits are true. Better than Boingo and I will stay around. If they are more of the Boingo same, then ciao....
Old Mar 7, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
I am waiting until the end of April to see if the rumoured new benefits are true. Better than Boingo and I will stay around. If they are more of the Boingo same, then ciao....
Boingo sucks. I would actually prefer not to have it. It just never works
Old Mar 7, 2015, 4:58 pm
mia

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
It sounds as if you are using a Boingo app, which is (generally) not necessary to use the service. Try reading recent reports in this thread before concluding that it is of no value:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ingo-wifi.html
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:10 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I decided to cancel my plat today. I know I got more than $450 in benefits, but I'm moving from MSP to a city with no airport lounges at all and where WN has the greatest presence. I'm probably going to become more of an airline free agent now.

I'll miss the concierge, FHR and centurion lounge. But the $450 can be better used elsewhere.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by lotrbfme
It's sketchy at best. I've been underwhelmed.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:43 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Does anyone remember by any chance how long it took to receive the Priority Pass cards by post? I got my (upgrade) new Plat cards on Friday, so I assume a few days after? I also note the website says it can take up to 28days but I was hoping it would take less

Many thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.