Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Canadian Amex Retention Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:15 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
What's the direct number to call for retention?
Old Jun 11, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AMEX MR, Avios, Marriott, SPG, many more with negligible points
Card Type: Platinum ($699)
Appx. Annual Spent: $10,000

2015 Retention Offer: 50,000 membership rewards, (took it)
2016 Retention Offer: downgrade to AmexGold

They said that they can't give me a retention offer again because I got a sign-up bonus in 2014 and a retention bonus in 2015. The fact that I got back-to-back year bonuses disqualifies me from another retention bonus here and now in 2016.

Has any of you experienced this?
Old Jun 11, 2016, 11:37 pm

AmEx business gold, 8k annual spend, rep offered nothing and gladly cancelled the card
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Gold to Aeroplan Transfer Bonus?

It seems I've been waiting a long time for the next Amex-Aeroplan transfer bonus. I have several times transferred the majority of my Amex points this way. I currently have over 120K points that I'd like to get over to Aeroplan.

Anybody got an idea when that promo might happen in 2017?

Of course, I wonder what Amex Canada is going to do about the latest Air Canada versus Aeroplan struggle. If AC formulates its own FF plan and takes Star Alliance with it, what happens to Aeroplan, and more to the point, how do I use my points?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by WWannabe
It seems I've been waiting a long time for the next Amex-Aeroplan transfer bonus. I have several times transferred the majority of my Amex points this way. I currently have over 120K points that I'd like to get over to Aeroplan.

Anybody got an idea when that promo might happen in 2017?

Of course, I wonder what Amex Canada is going to do about the latest Air Canada versus Aeroplan struggle. If AC formulates its own FF plan and takes Star Alliance with it, what happens to Aeroplan, and more to the point, how do I use my points?
Pretty sure AMEX has been excluded from the transfer bonus promos since 2012...
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by 604flyer
Pretty sure AMEX has been excluded from the transfer bonus promos since 2012...
Wow, are you sure? I'm trying to remember the last time I did this. I thought it was just a couple of years ago, but time flies! This is disappointing.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:46 am

So I just spoke to an Amex Canada rep. and she said that there haven't been any of these promotions for the last two years. She obviously was not management, but didn't know of any specific change to their relationship with Aeroplan in this regard, just that Aeroplan hasn't done it.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:53 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
I hold both AMEX Plan and SPG AMEX

First time call, Platinum customer service says they aren't likely to give a retention offer because I was in my 1st year as Plat AMEX card holder and got the welcome bonus.

I waited until statement date of my SPG AMEX to determine which card to cancel to avoid double annual fee.

Started with SPG AMEX and I was connected to retention department. I inform them SPG program is likely ending in 6 months and there is a new merge one from Mariott & SPG. I asked if they know if AMEX won over VISA on getting the future merged program points rights... Customer doesn't know. Then I told them didn't want to pay the Annual fee. Asked about if there is any retention offer.

Card Type: SPG AMEX ($140)
Annual Spent: ~$25,000
2017 Retention Offer: 7000 SPG points (accepted after self-imposed 24 hour cool-down period)

After the SPG AMEX offer, I asked about the Platinum card. Customer service started to list some benefits and I countered her. I told her about having frequent flyer status and hotel status already. And the raging jealously I had hearing all those AMEX announcements and marketing coming from New York headquarters of all those AMEX Platinum (USA) enhancements (5 points per dollar for travel purchases, a metal card, $200 Uber credit) and to find out the Canadian one got absolutely no enhancements. The tone went to more of a apologetic voice as she said she worked on the US side as well before joining the Canada side.

Card Type: Platinum AMEX ($699)
Annual Spent: ~$12,000
2017 Retention Offer: 20,000 MR points (accepted after customer service rep absolutely promise my feedback being sent directly to management )

When NAFTA gets renegotiated between Canada and USA, we need to allow those US banks to start doing business here in Canada. I would love to get one of those Chase Sapphire Reserve metal cards with that famous 100,000 welcome bonus.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:26 pm

Called to cancel personal platinum after one year and was offered 15000 MR points.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Accor Gold, AMEX FHR
I was offered 10 000 MR Points for my Platinum Renewal. Almost no spending on the card (maybe a few thousands) as I put most of my spending on my SPG card.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:27 am

Card Type: AMEX Gold Personal
Appx. Annual Spent: $10-15k annual spend
Retenton Offer: 10k MR Points
Old Oct 19, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Anyone getting any retention offers this year for covid? Base on some of the threads on RFD, seems next to nil.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 12:52 pm

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Canadian Business Platinum
Card opened in Nov 2016, $500 AF
Called in 2019 to cancel - got 50,000 MR to keep open - worst case break even at $0.01 value per MR, but I can get $0.02 thru my conversions...took the deal
Called in 2020 to cancel - got $100 off my AF, and 10,000 MR...tried to press them for more but no luck and took the deal - didn't break even overall but close
Called today to cancel - got 20,000 MR to keep open - again at $0.02 I should be able to break even, took the deal

My Canadian Personal Platinum I end up ahead every year in value - no issues or concerns there...this is my daily CC that I have no intention of removing
My USA Personal Platinum I've already come out ahead in offers this year, although based on my travel in 2020 and 2021 I am not sure I can justify keeping it in 2022, may try retentions on this one next year
Old Dec 28, 2021, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Marriott Bonvoy Biz (Canadian)

$150 AF hit a couple weeks ago and I haven't used the card at all since getting the sign up bonus. Called and the rep immediately offered a $50 statement credit to keep the card. I accepted since $100 (~$78 USD) for a 35k FNC isn't a bad deal at all. I wasn't given a point based offer option.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 7:24 pm

American Express retention offers - Canada

My Amex Aeroplan reserve was opened begining of July. I read on the US thread that asking for a retention bonus/credit is done often. I have few questions:
1) Does it work on a similar manner here in Canada?
2) If yes, what offers have you received?
3) can you receive offers for more than one card?
4) is it better to call/chat before or after the anniversary date?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.