Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Costco locations in Canada drop American Express eff Jan 1, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Costco locations in Canada drop American Express eff Jan 1, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by flipstah
Sad to see it go because after this card year, I won't be renewing my AMEX Platinum. I shop a lot at Costco and I get better incentives to use my MC.

It was fun while it lasted.

In Calgary, a user from another forum was able to use a non-Costco branded MC to pay.
I was at Costco today and was told by the cashier that they have started accepting *any* Mastercard, effective today.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kyden
... started accepting *any* Mastercard, effective today.
Any merchant which accepts MasterCard must accept all MasterCards. No one is required to have a Costco branded payment card to shop at Costco.

MasterCard was likely involved in making this deal with Costco Canada.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:17 am

At least right now, Costco.ca accepts Amex, Mastercard and Visa. In the past when I've wanted to use a specific non-Amex card for my Costco spend, I have purchased a Costco cash card online and used it in the store. According to their website, this is still possible. Not sure what will happen after Jan 1/15.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:37 am

The website always accepted Visa and MC IIRC...
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by YYZC2
The website always accepted Visa and MC IIRC...
Correct. That's what prmtime was alluding to, in the post before yours.

The question is, will AMEX continue to be accepted online at Amex.ca, after Dec 31st?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by kyden
I was at Costco today and was told by the cashier that they have started accepting *any* Mastercard, effective today.
Location (city/province)?

While I've always enjoyed using my Amex cards at Costco to earn 1% MR/Aeros, I would much rather earn 2% on my BMO World Elite MC or the Cap1 Travel MC. Ideally, Costco Canada would accept ALL cards, to give us full flexibility, but we shall see.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:39 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Correct. That's what prmtime was alluding to, in the post before yours.

The question is, will AMEX continue to be accepted online at Amex.ca, after Dec 31st?
From everything I have read on the internet (so nothing official unfortunately), AMEX is persona non grata at Costco Canada and will not be accepted either in the warehouse or online.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by trayvreller
Costco needs to get into the 20th century (at least) and accept all major credit cards. I'm not ending my affiliation with Amex and I'm certainly not getting a MasterCard. Costco will be the one to lose out on our several thousand dollars of business each year.
Originally Posted by trayvreller
I agree with you, in part. Costco can and will get away with this. But, I object to them wielding their clout in this fashion. I have a Visa and an Amex, and I'm not getting a MasterCard just so I can shop there, and yes, I know I can still use cash or debit. But in my view it's time they start accepting all major cards. So, maybe this will be my own little lonely protest.
It would definitely be nice if Costco accepted more than just 1 type of credit card, but I have no issue getting a MasterCard for these purchases only. Costco saves me serious money, even after the annual membership fee. I'll simply get a no annual fee MasterCard and use it exclusively at Costco.

Originally Posted by Mbha
or are you guys going to sever your relationship with Costco entirely because of the loss of Amex as a partner.
Originally Posted by markandrew
Amex is the big loser here; Costco exclusivity added significantly to their brand awareness in the somewhat idle Canadian market where many people just snap up whatever their home banks issues to them, or issued a decade or more ago.
Exactly -- Amex might lose more here than they realize. I've always been a huge supporter of Amex and currently have the Platinum Card, but it's getting really difficult to justify.

Location (city/province)?
I was told the same thing at the Anjou, Quebec location yesterday. All MasterCards will be welcome.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ffsim

Exactly -- Amex might lose more here than they realize. I've always been a huge supporter of Amex and currently have the Platinum Card, but it's getting really difficult to justify.
I am also an Amex Platinum member and also am finding it tought to justify a $699 fee with benefit cuts and even more reduced acceptance.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by ffsim
I was told the same thing at the Anjou, Quebec location yesterday. All MasterCards will be welcome.
Verified. Costco locations in YYZ'ish are now accepting MCs.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan , AMEX
Verified. Costco locations in YYZ'ish are now accepting MCs.
Used one today ( world elite mc ) no problem .
Old Sep 27, 2014, 11:10 am

Someone at AMEX needs to wake up, first you lose lounge access and now Costco Canada sends you packing. Is Costco USA next? AMEX you will not have any customers left, if your cards are reduced to MC/VISA level and low number of merchants accepting them because of your processing fees. You (AMEX) got away all theses years with those fees and demands, because of the big spenders that have your card, but no more.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by wesheltonj
Someone at AMEX needs to wake up, first you lose lounge access and now Costco Canada sends you packing. Is Costco USA next? AMEX you will not have any customers left, if your cards are reduced to MC/VISA level and low number of merchants accepting them because of your processing fees. You (AMEX) got away all theses years with those fees and demands, because of the big spenders that have your card, but no more.
I wouldn't start putting them on the same level of Visa / Mastercard just yet.

The Amex Platinum while losing quite a bit of value is still an extremely "value add" card despite the hefty fee.

It depends on your ability to use the benefits offered. I think the hotel program upgrades alone are worth it given what you have to do to get to those levels on your own.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Amex in the USA and Amex in Canada are two completely different kettles of fish really. In Canada Amex issued cards and Amex merchant acceptance is (obviously) far lower than in the US, where Amex cards are very common and acceptance is magnitudes higher. So one agreement ending in Canada will not neccessarily mean that another is going to go the same route.

At the end of the day it is bad for Amex Canada cardmembers, but clearly when Costco Canada placed a deal on the table, it was simply not acceptable to Amex.

Amex is not new to partnerships. Globally they have hundreds of deals and tie-ups with airlines, hotels and retailers and I'm pretty sure they fully understand the ramifications of a deal like this one dissolving and have done their sums (loss of revenues and billings, customer dissatifaction, customer attrition and so on). At the end of the day if Costco tried to push their hand too strongly and wanted to extract more value from the deal than Amex was able (or prepared) to give, well, that's what happens sometime in negotiations and parties walk away. If Amex Canada had needed to re-sign this deal at any cost, then they would have come to an agreement. Clearly they didn't.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Magic01273
Amex is not new to partnerships. Globally they have hundreds of deals and tie-ups with airlines, hotels and retailers and I'm pretty sure they fully understand the ramifications of a deal like this one dissolving and have done their sums (loss of revenues and billings, customer dissatifaction, customer attrition and so on).
I'm not sure of this at all. Have a look at the comments in this Financial Post article:

I will be cancelling my new Amex when it comes. Don't need it.
Costco was my only reason to have it.
I think we'll still drop the AMEX card
I like American Express' customer service, but I'll probably just throw the card into the drawer. American Express acceptance is too hit and miss and I find it a hassle to ask.
It goes on and on and on...

Originally Posted by Magic01273
At the end of the day if Costco tried to push their hand too strongly and wanted to extract more value from the deal than Amex was able (or prepared) to give, well, that's what happens sometime in negotiations and parties walk away. If Amex Canada had needed to re-sign this deal at any cost, then they would have come to an agreement. Clearly they didn't.
While I agree with your assertion that they believed they "clearly" didn't need to re-sign at any cost, I think they were wrong in their belief.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.