Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Help me Save My 100k MR Points [Upgrade PRG to Platinum or replace with Everyday]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me Save My 100k MR Points [Upgrade PRG to Platinum or replace with Everyday]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

So I've had the PRG for 3 years and haven't had to pay the AF (2 years waived, called in 3rd year, partially waived) and I've racked up 100k MR points. The $175 AF just hit and I don't think it's worth it anymore. So I'm wondering what my best options are to keep the points?

1. I know I can sign up for the everyday card and then I would thus save my points and keep all of the great MR transfer options alive right? I saw reports in the everyday thread that people are getting 10k bonuses even if they have had other Amex cards so that would be a nice bonus.

2. I got a targeted offer to upgrade my PRG to Platinum and I would get 50k points after 5k spend in 3 months. I was hoping for a 100k targeted offer but I don't think I'll get one as long as I have my PRG.

I'm leaning towards option 2 because my fiancee recently got a 100k targeted offer and a $250 everyday targeted offer (Amex loves her for some reason) so we could both get plat cards and global entry, airline credit, etc..

Btw, just found out the $200 airline credit for plat card is per year, that means we would both get $400 per year plus global entry effectively wiping out the AF right?

Originally Posted by mia
Do these deals save you more than $175 each year? Would you not get many of the same deals with a free Everyday card?
It's probably in the $200-$300 range since I have my card and an AU's but I've been able to get three years free with this card which is why I kept it. I think I'm going to get the everyday card and transfer the points then cancel the PRG.

The AF just hit on my PRG and I've got about 100k points. It looks like I can open up the everyday card and then I won't lose my 100k points when I cancel the PRG right? I'm assuming I don't need to transfer the points or anything like that. Are the everyday MR points that I will now have (assuming I'm approved) just like regular MR points, you can transfer to airlines, use for gift cards, etc?

Last edited by mia; Jun 16, 2014 at 4:00 pm Reason: Combine posts from three threads.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by wholeinone04
...get the everyday card and transfer the points then cancel the PRG.
There is nothing to transfer. You merely need to link the Everyday card to the same Membership Rewards account, then cancel the card(s) you no longer want.

.Are the everyday MR points that I will now have (assuming I'm approved) just like regular MR points, you can transfer to airlines, use for gift cards, etc?
Yes

Last edited by mia; Jun 16, 2014 at 4:00 pm Reason: Combine replies from two threads
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:41 pm

Correct, and it's well worth it if you get 50k points
Old Jun 16, 2014, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zipo
Correct, and it's well worth it if you get 50k points
So option 2 you think? Upgrade to the 50k plat card, and before the AF hits for a second time, sign up for every day card and transfer all my points?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 4:12 pm

So I've had the PRG for 3 years and haven't had to pay the AF (2 years waived, called in 3rd year, partially waived) and I've racked up 100k MR points. The $175 AF just hit and I don't think it's worth it anymore. So I'm wondering what my best options are to keep the points?

1. I know I can sign up for the everyday card and then I would thus save my points and keep all of the great MR transfer options alive right? I saw reports in the everyday thread that people are getting 10k bonuses even if they have had other Amex cards so that would be a nice bonus.

2. I got a targeted offer to upgrade my PRG to Platinum and I would get 50k points after 5k spend in 3 months. I was hoping for a 100k targeted offer but I don't think I'll get one as long as I have my PRG.

I'm leaning towards option 2 because my fiancee recently got a 100k targeted offer and a $250 everyday targeted offer (Amex loves her for some reason) so we could both get plat cards and global entry, airline credit, etc..

Btw, just found out the $200 airline credit for plat card is per year, that means we would both get $400 per year plus global entry effectively wiping out the AF right?

It's probably in the $200-$300 range since I have my card and an AU's but I've been able to get three years free with this card which is why I kept it. I think I'm going to get the everyday card and transfer the points then cancel the PRG.

The AF just hit on my PRG and I've got about 100k points. It looks like I can open up the everyday card and then I won't lose my 100k points when I cancel the PRG right? I'm assuming I don't need to transfer the points or anything like that. Are the everyday MR points that I will now have (assuming I'm approved) just like regular MR points, you can transfer to airlines, use for gift cards, etc?
Nice timing on this thread, I just received the same 50k offer too and am thinking about canceling my PRG myself to upgrade and use side by side with my SPG card.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JeremyG5
Nice timing on this thread, I just received the same 50k offer too and am thinking about canceling my PRG myself to upgrade and use side by side with my SPG card.
Yea sounds like that's the best idea, hard to get these kinds of questions answered here. Everyone is so concerned with posting in the card specific threads
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:17 pm

Yea sounds like that's the best idea, hard to get these kinds of questions answered here. Everyone is so concerned with posting in the card specific threads
I ended up upgrading to Platinum since I'm going on a long trip next week. If it doesn't work for me, I'll just cancel and go to the Everyday card.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JeremyG5
I ended up upgrading to Platinum since I'm going on a long trip next week. If it doesn't work for me, I'll just cancel and go to the Everyday card.
If what doesn't work?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 3:50 pm

If what doesn't work?
If the card doesn't seem worth keeping.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:37 am

My Amex green is collecting dust because I use other cards for everything but I still get charged the green annual fee, so I want to swap green for a fee-less Amex—and keep Membership Rewards transferrable. Will jumping from green to EveryDay affect my credit score by ending my longheld green that I've had for decades? At the same time, how do I nab a sign-up bonus without an actual new sign-up (just replacing card type)?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:12 am
mia

Originally Posted by NewArrival
Will jumping from green to EveryDay...
Read here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...amex-card.html
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewArrival
My Amex green is collecting dust because I use other cards for everything but I still get charged the green annual fee, so I want to swap green for a fee-less Amex—and keep Membership Rewards transferrable. Will jumping from green to EveryDay affect my credit score by ending my longheld green that I've had for decades? At the same time, how do I nab a sign-up bonus without an actual new sign-up (just replacing card type)?
Amex is pretty cool about backdating new cards to your oldest card so I would apply for everyday card, backdate it to green card and then cancel the green card.

I just did this for my fiancee and AMEX DID NOT automatically use the same member since date, I had to call in and ask them and then they did it

http://yourpfpro.com/amex-backdating...ults-may-vary/
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:08 am
Original Poster

I also thought of one other way. My fiancee got a targeted every day offer for $250 back after 1k spend in 3 months. I think I could apply for this card for her and then transfer my points to her account right? Does amex allow transfer of MR points from husband to wife? We're getting married in 3 weeks
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:14 am
mia

... Does amex allow transfer of MR points from husband to wife?
Transfers are not a published feature of the USA version of Membership Rewards. There have been reports of one-time exceptions, but some people thought one-time meant every few years, and recent reports suggest the CSR's no longer have this flexibility. Nonetheless you might succeed if you call after you are married and explain that you intend to consolidate your finances by eliminating duplicate accounts.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ds-points.html
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:00 pm

Cancel PRG But Keep My Points?

Coming up on 1 year with my AMEX PRG card. Would like to cancel the card to avoid the annual fee but don't want to lose my 110K MR points. I also have an AMEX business gold card. Am I right that I can cancel the personal card and keep my points as long as I keep the business gold? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.