Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is American Express (USA) steering churners to Business cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2014, 12:29 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold

In another thread we are discussing new terms for personal cards which limit individuals to one new account bonus per product, lifetime, if enforced as written. However, small business cards are marketed very differently.

To see exactly what I see you should RIGHT CLICK the links below, and open in a Private or Incognito browser window:

Click HERE to see the list of all USA-issued personal cards.

Click HERE to see the list of of all USA-issued small business cards.

Notice that most of the Business cards are marked with an orange ribbon touting a "Welcome Offer", but none of the personal cards are marked - even though offers are, in fact, available on many personal cards.

Notice also that the terms on Business card offers have been simplified and somewhat liberalized compared to the terms earlier in the year which disqualified bonuses if you had held the same card, or a related card, in the previous 12 months:

Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product within the last 12 months.
Old May 20, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
I don't have any insider info, but it's better to view this as the latest attempt to push churners to business cards. I've been seeing better sign up offers for the biz cards for a while.

Meanwhile they are clearly pulling back from the heavy marketing on the personal cards (the new Everyday card being the obvious exception).

I won't cry for American Express, the company is very profitable and growing, but on the high end they are obviously getting pinched by Chase and now Citi too. The AmEx product line has become messy, and is in need of trimming. Maybe this is their first step, because they clearly need some new blood in product planning.

Last edited by jn in ca; May 20, 2014 at 9:34 pm
Old May 20, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: Flying and sleeping
I wouldn't say the effort is directed at churners. Rather, it is a reaction to new legislation that imposes regulations on personal credit account but leaves business accounts relatively unrestricted.
Old May 20, 2014, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by djrez4
I wouldn't say the effort is directed at churners. Rather, it is a reaction to new legislation that imposes regulations on personal credit account but leaves business accounts relatively unrestricted.
I would agree with the above theory
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Sorry I’m late to this thread. With the understanding that AmEx is, for whatever reason, effectively pushing churners to Business cards, can anyone direct me to a link for a Business version of the AmEx Hilton card? Thanks.

(Yeah, I know HHonors points are getting to be like Skypesos . But the minimum spend for an AmEx Hilton card is relatively small and with no annual fee it’s like getting a HHonors bonus at the cost of a few minutes of time and a possible credit pull .)
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:33 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
... can anyone direct me to a link for a Business version of the AmEx Hilton card? ...
Sorry, there is no business version of this card.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Hi mia. Thank you for the timely and pertinent reply. That was my understanding as well but I was hoping someone else knew something I didn’t know. Looks like AmEx churning for redeemable welcome bonuses for many of us might now be limited to 3 different business cards per year instead of the 3 business cards and 4 personal cards per year in the past. Seems like 150-200K miles/points left on the table each year. Kinda stinks but them’s the rules. Thanks again for the quick reply.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:33 am

I guess that this is 12 months since you closed the card.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:12 pm

If I were to open a business card, would my personal MR points be combined with my business MR points?

I've got a 100k MR offer for a Platinum business card which I can easily spend the $10k with. Once I get the spend and points, would I be able to cancel the card and get my annual fee back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.