Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Hyacinthe
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Cana2013
I just checked the link and the page is till there
Is it your browser, or did you double check the settings, and its actually Amex?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
data point: Approved for 60k offer and met min spend. The 60k posted a couple days later. Made a referral too and the bonus posted in a couple days as well.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Can you apply both the Amex Plat and AP Gold on the same day and get approved ? or will the second application be automatically declined ? thanks
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by choupeo
Can you apply both the Amex Plat and AP Gold on the same day and get approved ? or will the second application be automatically declined ? thanks
People have reported obtaining two cards on the same days, other have reported the latter card is denied but can be reversed if you call in. I know I have done 2 applications within 2 weeks and had no problem with them auto-approving so there is no hard and fast rule on spacing them out, and you may want to be cautious and spread them out. Essentially, if you have no black marks on your credit history, Amex is very liberal on charge cards.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 4:06 pm

Unlikely you'll get both approved, IMO.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I don't see why not? There may be a few credit hits. A bit concerning having two credit checks conducted on the same day.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: Avios, AMEX, AeroPlan, BMO, AS, WestJet
i was reading about app-o-roma. only found 1 link where the guy says he "successfully does it in canada". anyone else have anectodes, like has anyone been successfully pulling it off?

those unfamiliar, basically alot of applications for cc's in a few - 24 hrs. idea is it takes time for them to realize it so you get the benefit but im pretty sure they see your numerous inquiries in real time. maybe only good for online auto approval?

lastly, with AMEX how long can i have my amex gold + soon to get aeroplus gold before i cancel and keep the points where it wont irritate/blacklist me. lastly when can i apply for next round? is it 6 months from when i applied for each card or 6 months from when i cancelled each card?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by microcosm
i was reading about app-o-roma. only found 1 link where the guy says he "successfully does it in canada". anyone else have anectodes, like has anyone been successfully pulling it off?

those unfamiliar, basically alot of applications for cc's in a few - 24 hrs. idea is it takes time for them to realize it so you get the benefit but im pretty sure they see your numerous inquiries in real time. maybe only good for online auto approval?

lastly, with AMEX how long can i have my amex gold + soon to get aeroplus gold before i cancel and keep the points where it wont irritate/blacklist me. lastly when can i apply for next round? is it 6 months from when i applied for each card or 6 months from when i cancelled each card?
I guess it depends on your definition of App-o-rama. I know people who apply and obtain 4-5 cards in Canada on the same day, I am relatively conservative and the most I have applied is three in a day, more typically two, however in all cases we get a full house of approvals. The underlying theory is I believe that your FICO score will not be updated until the next day so they all get the same score, is it true, I am unsure if anybody here has the definitive answer.

Again, with your second questions about "blacklisting", there is also no definitive answers, people will share their own experiences. There has always been so many worthwhile Amex cards that I have never engaged in pushing their limits. That being said, the list of worthwhile cards is shrinking, Biz Gold and SPG have recently shifted from being certain value cards to borderline cases, far behind the Aerogold and Gold and Plat MR cards. Many use 6 months form date of cancellation as a guideline, others have reported much shorter successful turnarounds. I have always seen Amex as a marathon rather than a spring but policy changes may completely inverse that approach.

Good luck, and share your data point for us
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:46 pm
Suspended

With FYF, why not keep it for at least half the year, before cancelling. The points earned on the cards for purchases translates into points. It is useful to keep the card for spend purposes.

Also helps to rebuild the credit for the next app.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: aeroplan airmiles priorityclub choiceprivilege asiamiles spg bw
Originally Posted by ValueHunter99
ancien, I still have some question about this.

The referral link generator seems to allow one to select "any" card in step 1 regardless of which card is currently owned.

So, if I have the "basic" aeroplus, but intentionally or accidentally select the "gold" aeroplus in step 1,
the referral link generated will probably still yield a referral bonus of 10k unless the system performs a
check against the "actual" card which I currently own before depositing the referral bonus.

Well, just want to update everyone ...

For the aeroplus family of cards, the referral bonus seems to depend on
which card you choose as the card "you have" in step 1 when generating
the referral link/email.

Have the aeroplus basic card, but chose the aeroplus gold when generating the referral link, and got 10K referral points.

^

Last edited by VH99; Apr 14, 2014 at 10:18 am
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:09 pm

I think the *safe* route is to wait 6 months since you cancelled the same Amex card you are re-applying for (since there have been reports of them "reinstating" the old account). When I waited for 6 months since cancellation, my apps have been successful.

I have always been safe and staggered my applications. Never 2 the same day...and never more than 2 in one month.

IMO, there is no need to be that aggressive. We have a limited number of cards on the roster, and you can easily keep yourself busy within a 6 month period rotating a bunch. I would never be able to keep up with it otherwise. I've already had issues with missing some payments because I can't keep track of 'em all!
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:58 pm

My rule is one card per issuer per churn, wait at least 6 months after cancel before reapplying. 3months between each churn.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: *void

Someone pointed me to the App-o-rama thread(s) here on FT, but to be honest, I tried to understand it, but I just don't know how it would help/benefit me. In the end, if you apply for say 4-6 cards on the same day, and get them all approved, does this avoid getting 4-6 pulls on your score? Is that the idea? Because if not, it's great that you can bypass the credit bureaus' systems and get approval for so many cards but if in the end if it kills your credit score, then I'd rather just avoid this venture. I'm not doubting it, I'm looking for clarification.

I have churned through an insane number of new cards in the past 2 years, and on more than one occasion I have applied for multiple cards from the same issuer (MBNA, CIBC) within the same day. I got flagged once and a rep called to ask me if I made a mistake, but when I explained it was not an error on my part the rep pushed it through. So, from my experience there's no guarantee you will get auto-approved without some sort of interaction with a rep.

@pokee - I have so many cards to juggle, I have developed a habit of always paying off the balance once I get notification that the bill has generated. Otherwise, if you procrastinate it's just too much to remember.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yerffej201
My rule is one card per issuer per churn, wait at least 6 months after cancel before reapplying. 3months between each churn.
No sense in a faster churn.

Inherent value in FYF is worth a good chunk of benefit. I would say max it out on the FYF as long as you can. CC spend does count for points, not just sign up bonuses.:-:
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
It drives my wife nuts with all the cards I have her get. She puts through a LOT of $ (retail store). Amex called her the other day when she did a one off $30K transaction (prices were going up April1 so she stocked up on one line).

I do have to decided what to do with her AeroPlat. The 2 suppliers are also 1.5x on the CIBC Aero Infinity cards too. We used to be able to use only supplier that were 1.5X on the CIBC cards but it looks like the classifications have been tightened up so that gravy train is gone. I blame TD. As soon as the (TD) logo showed up on my Aeroplan statement so did most of bonus miles go bye bye. We reapplied for 2 CIBC cards but same lack of bonus miles. Technically I'm sure the suppliers weren't what CIBC had in mind of gas, grocery, drug stores. Still it was nice while it lasted. I'm tempted to cancel her Aeroplat and reapply. I'm sure they are not going to give her the same bonus miles when we got the card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.