Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Hyacinthe
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I thought only the Infinite Privilege bonus qualified as Distinction points?
Does Infinite qualify as well?

My and my wife's AE gold Amex signup bonus did not qualify as Distinction Points. Probably a recent change.

Still might do it, but not now. No reason to as no travel until the summer now.
The Infinite welcome bonus also qualify for Distinction.

Yes, it is a recent change, and it is only good for applications submitted before April 1.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Cana2013
The Infinite welcome bonus also qualify for Distinction.

Yes, it is a recent change, and it is only good for applications submitted before April 1.
Seems like all the cc companies are converting to this practice. Probably because the status will not include bonus miles for the upcoming year. Distinction elite status will become a useless status next year, without the bonus points.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:38 pm

i'm VERY late to this party and trying to read up as much as I can, so I apologise in advance if I'm asking questions that have been answered.

I have an AMEX gold card that I just signed up for (and then referred my wife) and got all my points bonuses; I have an SPG AMEX that I've been using for a year (and referred my wife) and got all my points bonuses; two years ago i signed up for the Business Gold Card and cancelled after I got my points.

Where do I go from here? I'm not a loyal AC flyer at all but we travel a lot and use points whenever we can. Should I self refer for the platinum? Is it worth paying $500 for the bonus? I DO have two AC flights booked already this year plus I've signed up for the CIBC Aeroplan card just for the 20k bonus: that 20k plus the 35k from AMEX Gold and the 25k I already had give me a fair number of Aeroplan points....add on another 50k from Aeroplat and I'm sitting pretty

Man there's A LOT to learn here for noobs!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by 4soup
i'm VERY late to this party and trying to read up as much as I can, so I apologise in advance if I'm asking questions that have been answered.

I have an AMEX gold card that I just signed up for (and then referred my wife) and got all my points bonuses; I have an SPG AMEX that I've been using for a year (and referred my wife) and got all my points bonuses; two years ago i signed up for the Business Gold Card and cancelled after I got my points.

Where do I go from here? I'm not a loyal AC flyer at all but we travel a lot and use points whenever we can. Should I self refer for the platinum? Is it worth paying $500 for the bonus? I DO have two AC flights booked already this year plus I've signed up for the CIBC Aeroplan card just for the 20k bonus: that 20k plus the 35k from AMEX Gold and the 25k I already had give me a fair number of Aeroplan points....add on another 50k from Aeroplat and I'm sitting pretty

Don't forget the AMEX Aeroplan Plus Gold card, 30K with referral and $0FYF after $500 spend within 3 months.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Don't forget the AMEX Aeroplan Plus Gold card, 30K with referral and $0FYF after $500 spend within 3 months.
I think you're doing well (vs. most people)

As JJ suggested, Aeroplan Gold = 30K Aeroplan for free, so get that

If you really need more, then after you get the Aeroplan Gold, self-refer yourself to Aeroplat for 51K Aeroplan ($499/year fee)

or even crazier, self-refer yourself (from your Gold card) to AMEX Platinum for 60K MR points ($699/year fee) = 60K Aeroplan miles

don't forget that TD is offering TD Aeroplan Infinite FYF and 15K Aeroplan welcome bonus too
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:40 pm

The price tag for the Plat is high, but it does bring lots of benefits including the $200 annual travel credit.

The AeroplanPlus gold is a good one that you should get because of the 30k Aeroplan bonus miles and first year free. After you get this one, you can consider AeroplanPlus Plat by self referral. The welcome bonus miles from these two cards may qualify for the Aeroplan Distinction if you submit your application by April 1. The regular offers have been confirmed by Amex website that the welcom bonus miles will qualify for Distinction, but whether the welcome bonus miles through referral offers qaufify or not are not confirmed.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 1:02 am

Programs: Many
... I'm not a loyal AC flyer at all but we travel a lot and use points whenever we can. Should I self refer for the platinum? Is it worth paying $500 for the bonus? I DO have two AC flights booked already this year ...
51K for $499 for the AeroPlat isn't the best deal in the world, but it's not bad either considering that card will open the doors to all Maple Leaf Lounges, will give you a 2-for-1 on short-haul tickets once a year. Also, right there it would give you enough miles for a round-trip ticket in business class anywhere in Canada and/or the continental USA (50K) or two tickets in economy (2*25K).
Old Jan 23, 2014, 1:09 am

After reading your post once again, I noticed that you said you have the Amex Gold. I was under the impression that it was the Amex Aero Gold because you were talking about getting the Platinum card for $500. If you self refer to Platinum from Amex Gold, you would get the regular Amex Platinum at $700. Get the Aero Gold (free first year + 30K bonus) then you can get the Aero Plat at $500. . . if that's the one you want.

On a side note, it's considered bad practice to cancel a card too soon. The general concensus is to keep it for at least 6 months.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by CC1972
51K for $499 for the AeroPlat isn't the best deal in the world, but it's not bad either considering that card will open the doors to all Maple Leaf Lounges, will give you a 2-for-1 on short-haul tickets once a year. Also, right there it would give you enough miles for a round-trip ticket in business class anywhere in Canada and/or the continental USA (50K) or two tickets in economy (2*25K).
And you can reach Distinction by the 35k eligible miles.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Starwoods
Originally Posted by Cana2013
You do not have to say existing cardmember in my experience. In 2012, I applied for the Business card without saying I am existing cardmember but the two MR accounts were linked automatically.
I am in the same situation, I will be applying for the Amex Biz Gold and need to ensure that they will link my MR accounts (currently have AMEX PLAT). Some say they have linked Personal/Biz accounts other say they haven't.. What is the consensus? YMMV?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 5:25 pm

Amex Biz Gold Bonus Points System Glitch

8-10 weeks to post bonus points because of a system glitch (see previous chatter below). I am personally at 9 weeks now, and plan to call when I hit 10 weeks of waiting. Anyone else have to wait the full 10 weeks then call to get their bonus?

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Most people have been reporting issues with missing signup points on the Gold, vs the Biz Gold, so not a lot of data to go on for the Biz card.

Anyway, like you, I had re-applied for the Biz Gold last month, and exceeded the $3K spend over a week ago (so, in Nov). As we have become accustomed to seeing the bonus points appearing in our MR accounts within a day or two after meeting any spend requirement, it's disappointing to not see them 'immediately'. But, at least we know right away, unlike the AeroPlus cards where you have to wait for the next AMEX statement to see what's up.

I did Secure-Message AMEX, and I got this response:

You are definitely eligible to earn 25,000 bonus rewards points as you have already spent the required amount of $3,000.00 within the first 3 months.

Unfortunately, you have heard it right. You will certainly receive the bonus points; however, it may take a maximum of 8 to 10 weeks for them to appear on your account. The delay has happened due to a technical issue at our end. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

I will explain the reason for the delay.

As the system has not issued the points, we will manually credit the points. For this, we need to validate spend and then the points will be issued manually. As this process needs to be completed for a huge number of Card Members, it cannot be completed at once for all of them. This is why, we have asked for a time frame of 8 to 10 weeks.

Jerry, you were lucky to get your $3K spend done during Oct, before the system broke on the Biz Gold!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CC1972
After reading your post once again, I noticed that you said you have the Amex Gold. I was under the impression that it was the Amex Aero Gold because you were talking about getting the Platinum card for $500. If you self refer to Platinum from Amex Gold, you would get the regular Amex Platinum at $700. Get the Aero Gold (free first year + 30K bonus) then you can get the Aero Plat at $500. . . if that's the one you want.

On a side note, it's considered bad practice to cancel a card too soon. The general concensus is to keep it for at least 6 months.
The logic with FYF is to keep the cc for spend for a year and switch between the products. Doing so allows good credit to build up and continual annual card switches will be convenient between Amex cards.

So any adjustments to the Amex plat card that MRC Gold is going south? Adding features or lowering the annual fee.. Probably would make the most sense.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by 1George
I am in the same situation, I will be applying for the Amex Biz Gold and need to ensure that they will link my MR accounts (currently have AMEX PLAT). Some say they have linked Personal/Biz accounts other say they haven't.. What is the consensus? YMMV?
Definitely YMMV
It didn't link for me (and for JJonah too I think), but some said it linked fine either automatically, or on first request (I was rejected b/c AMEX says one is PERSONAL MR and one is BUSINESS MR, and I don't buy it)

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
The logic with FYF is to keep the cc for spend for a year and switch between the products. Doing so allows good credit to build up and continual annual card switches will be convenient between Amex cards.

So any adjustments to the Amex plat card that MRC Gold is going south? Adding features or lowering the annual fee.. Probably would make the most sense.
I'm sure you meant MPC (CX Marco Polo Club) ending in Nov 2014

It's best to have two people (husband & wife) rotate and refer between AMEX cards to maximize referral bonus and welcome bonus since one should apply 6 months apart at least.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Definitely YMMV
It didn't link for me (and for JJonah too I think), but some said it linked fine either automatically, or on first request (I was rejected b/c AMEX says one is PERSONAL MR and one is BUSINESS MR, and I don't buy it)

I'm sure you meant MPC (CX Marco Polo Club) ending in Nov 2014

It's best to have two people (husband & wife) rotate and refer between AMEX cards to maximize referral bonus and welcome bonus since one should apply 6 months apart at least.
I, too, think he was referring to Marco Polo; however, on my last Platinum account statement it said that it would end on March 31.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:22 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by 1George
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Definitely YMMV
Au contraire, Jerry. My newer Biz Gold MR did successfully link with my older Gold MR, automatically. I made sure I specified my older Gold Rewards card account info during the Biz Gold Rewards card application and activation.

See this "chatterbox" here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21898144-post344.html
It speaks of self-referring from Gold to Plat, but just substitute Biz Gold for the Plat, if that's what you're trying to link together.

1George, they might link automatically without following the steps outline in the above-mentioned post, but why not do as much as you can to help your cause. To follow other advice where one states that you "applied for the Business card without saying I am existing cardmember but the two MR accounts were linked automatically", is like saying I drove my car home from the airport with my eyes shut and I made it into my driveway successfully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.