Wiki Posts
Search

Review of Canadian Amex Plat

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:56 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have moved your post into the thread where the change to the travel credit is discussed. You will still have 12 months to use it. Scroll back to post 605 and read forward.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Low Roller
I understand why you are cancelling, but it's a bit strong to call Amex thieves and accuse them of fraud for just giving you what they promised - one $200 credit per year. Amex might argue that the fraud and theft was being committed by people who used the $200 credit twice and then cancelled the card without paying the second annual fee. But they didn't accuse anyone of that. Instead, they just tightened up the loopholes to enforce their original intention. Unfortunately, some longtime cardholders were caught in a situation where they had planned to use their credit early in the year but now have to wait until their anniversary...but that is at most a $200 inconvenience. Hopefully that Maui vacation will help you relax a bit
I agree that “fraud” might be a bit much but I was only following Amex’s rules here and they have taken a credit away from me that was expected - I paid $699 and will get no credit for doing so. Only by paying the next $699 would I get a credit. I am not prepared to succumb to this switch-a-roo. If they prefer to explain that they are taking a credit away that I received 8 years ago that is no better in my view.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by blockerca
Hello,

I called Amex about the 200$ travel credit. I tried to get a clear explanation but i'm not sure i quite understood...

My anniversary date is November, so what happens to my 2019 travel credit? Does that mean i have 2 months in 2019 to book something or is it good to use until November 2020? What if i book something now, can i claim the 2019 credit in November?

Thanks for the info.
You will get your $200 travel credit in November 2019 which you may use until November 2020.
In your very first year, you became a "member" in November and you immediately received your $200 travel credit. Then two months later in January, you received another $200.
Essentially Amex is "crawling back" the $200 that you received in the first year by making you wait until November 2019.
While I agree with the rationale for the change, I think Amex has handled the implementation very badly.
Eagle_traveler likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:56 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of the updated card has been moved:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ry-2019-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.