Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review of Canadian Amex Plat

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by painintheuk
I thought this would be good to. I tried this as I had several stays coming up. Unfortunately, they either had almost no hotels (in some out of the way places) or the prices were higher than I could get from other travel sites or the hotel itself. For my own travel that would be OK, but I can't pay extra OPM just to get a credit for myself.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
I have an upcoming trip to Australia and it worked for me very nicely.
Availability and choices are generally okay for major urban locations.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jan 29, 2019 at 9:18 am
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Clipper801
I received an e-mail.
I never received that email. Do people think this is a targeted offer?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by transportprof
I never received that email. Do people think this is a targeted offer?
I received an email today that offers me 15,000 bonus Membership Rewards points for $900 spend on hotel/car-rental. I noticed this was for my Platinum Card (I also have a Gold card and some credit cards.) I would prefer the offer of $300 statement credit Clipper801 received!

Edit: Yes, the email says:

Terms & Conditions

1. This offer is only available to Canadian Basic American Express Consumer and Small Business Cardmembers who have been sent this offer by email. Only the Basic American Express Card referenced in this email has been automatically registered for this offer and must be used as the method of payment. Maximum of one [1] bonus of 15,000 Membership Rewards Points is available per registered card during the offer period.

etc.
Clipper801 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Vasco
I received an email today that offers me 15,000 bonus Membership Rewards points for $900 spend on hotel/car-rental. I noticed this was for my Platinum Card (I also have a Gold card and some credit cards.)
i just received this same offer for my Cobalt card.
Clipper801 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
I got the $300 offer today; unfortunately no immediate plans
Clipper801 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I just got a platinum card and when I did the online activation, it wouldn't let me add it to my existing online Amex account and insisted that I set up a new account just for the platinum card. I've always been able to combine all of my Amex cards into one online account. So, is this something new or something specific to the platinum card? I want to combine them since I currently have a bunch of MR points on another card that I was thinking of cancelling soon. I guess I'll have to give them a call but was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:17 pm

Same happened to me when I added the Cobalt card (which I'll cancel once my Plat doesn't get renewed). Makes no sense at all, but the CSR seemed to think it was obvious that there should be multiple accounts! I'll just transfer all the points out the day before canceling.

Dr. PITUK
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by painintheuk
Same happened to me when I added the Cobalt card (which I'll cancel once my Plat doesn't get renewed). Makes no sense at all, but the CSR seemed to think it was obvious that there should be multiple accounts! I'll just transfer all the points out the day before canceling.

Dr. PITUK
I had head about this happening with Cobalt since they have limited transfer partners so it makes sense that they wouldn't let you combine them. But I just have a biz gold card, so I'm not sure why it can't be done. I was hoping to avoid transferring all of my points to aeroplan (or somewhere else) since they have more flexibility if they stay with Amex. I guess I'll give them a call later and see what they have to say.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:54 am

To follow-up, I called Amex and they added my platinum card to my existing on-line account. The call only took 2-3 minutes. Problem solved.
painintheuk likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Is there a way to use the $200 credit without going through Amex travel?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
no.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Cancelling

I am off to Maui and got the Scotia Passport infinite VISA with 6 Priority Pass visits and no currency conversion fee. Amex Platinum is toast when I return from this trip as I simply cannot accept this fraud with the non receipt of the $200 credit in Jan (Anniv is nov). I will use the 6 lounge visits between now and November and MAY reassess Amex at that time but they will not get an annual fee from me when I am not receiving the travel credit. I may use Alaska and Scotia as a combo as opposed to Amex Plat. Thieves.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Amex Platinum is toast when I return from this trip as I simply cannot accept this fraud with the non receipt of the $200 credit in Jan (Anniv is nov). I will use the 6 lounge visits between now and November and MAY reassess Amex at that time but they will not get an annual fee from me when I am not receiving the travel credit. I may use Alaska and Scotia as a combo as opposed to Amex Plat. Thieves.
I understand why you are cancelling, but it's a bit strong to call Amex thieves and accuse them of fraud for just giving you what they promised - one $200 credit per year. Amex might argue that the fraud and theft was being committed by people who used the $200 credit twice and then cancelled the card without paying the second annual fee. But they didn't accuse anyone of that. Instead, they just tightened up the loopholes to enforce their original intention. Unfortunately, some longtime cardholders were caught in a situation where they had planned to use their credit early in the year but now have to wait until their anniversary...but that is at most a $200 inconvenience. Hopefully that Maui vacation will help you relax a bit
Eagle_traveler likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Book something that doesn't require pre-payment, in case your plan changes. You can always modify / cancel the booking.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: ac *e/ ihg plat ambassador/H-Diamond/M-Gold
Canadian amex Platinum weird travel credit change

Hello,

I called Amex about the 200$ travel credit. I tried to get a clear explanation but i'm not sure i quite understood...

My anniversary date is November, so what happens to my 2019 travel credit? Does that mean i have 2 months in 2019 to book something or is it good to use until November 2020? What if i book something now, can i claim the 2019 credit in November?

Thanks for the info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.