Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review of Canadian Amex Plat

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by ffsim
...Bingo -- there simply isn't enough card competition in Canada to drive the necessity of offering that sort of benefit.
I do not agree that the Canadian market is not ready for it. I think it is in fact primed for a change. Why? Because if you take the time to research any vacation destination, you will almost assuredly come across the advice that you should only take a card that does not charge you a foreign transaction/conversion fee. I guarantee you: start doing a google, or TripAdvisor, or whatever search for any foreign destination. Almost assuredly you will find the advice being given to not use a card that charges you forex fees.

Because Canadians are reading the same websites as Americans, they are taking in this advice and then looking for those cards. And so they are now asking these questions of their banks, and being turned away. But you're now getting cards like the Brim Mastercard and the Stack prepaid card, and very soon Transferwise and Revolut accounts and cards, and you're getting Scotiabank and HSBC introducing one high-end card each to test the waters.

The big 5 banks may not be ready, but I absolutely think that consumer-awareness of the issue is now getting close to reaching mainstream level awareness, and I can see 2019 (hopefully!) being the year when the balance is tipped in our favour.

I had hoped that Amex would've led the way years ago with their Platinum and Centurion cards, as they did in the US and elsewhere.

(But at least they are not going the TD way, and raising the forex fee to 3.5%!)
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
We should contact CBC Marketplace so that they do an episode on the hidden foreign currency charges by credit and debit card issuers. In the United States, banks are obliged to put the 2.5% markup as a transaction separate from the actual purchase, so these fees are under more scrutiny and visibility by consumers.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:55 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
.... In the United States, banks are obliged to put the 2.5% markup as a transaction separate from the actual purchase, so these fees are under more scrutiny and visibility by consumers.
Note that they are obliged to do this as the result of a class action suit, not government regulation. Does Canadian law provide for a similar type of action? It can be an effective remedy when large numbers of customers experience a modest harm.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:38 pm

Just to change the topic a bit I notice on my latest bill that the $200 dollar rebate will be changing from once per calendar year to once membership year. this change takes place Jan 1/ 19. Not sure how you determine your anniversary date but if it isn't till April 1 you won't get the $200 in 2019 until April at the earliest.But you will have until the following March 31 to claim it.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: Best Western, SPG, Mariott, Amex
WFT is that!!!????

1. $200 CAD Annual Travel Credit - The $200 CAD Annual Travel Credit can only be redeemed at time of booking through American Express Travel Online at americanexpress.ca/travel or by calling Platinum Card Travel Service. Travel booking must be charged to your Platinum Card. Account must be in good standing. If you choose to use the Travel Credit, it will be credited to your Card account within 2 business days. Basic Card member is entitled to one (1) ***Annual Travel Credit each year based on Card membership anniversary date***, towards a single travel booking of $200 or more, and will appear on your billing statement as “Platinum Annual Travel Credit”. If you cancel your travel booking after redeeming the Annual Travel Credit, you will not be able to use it again in the same year. You can only use one Travel Credit per booking.

*Have been looking at applying for Platinum, but am now reconsidering. That's a $200 loss for first year of the card. The 2X Annual Credit was a MAJOR selling point for this card.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:05 pm
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by sethchisholm
WFT is that!!!????

1. $200 CAD Annual Travel Credit - The $200 CAD Annual Travel Credit can only be redeemed at time of booking through American Express Travel Online at americanexpress.ca/travel or by calling Platinum Card Travel Service. Travel booking must be charged to your Platinum Card. Account must be in good standing. If you choose to use the Travel Credit, it will be credited to your Card account within 2 business days. Basic Card member is entitled to one (1) ***Annual Travel Credit each year based on Card membership anniversary date***, towards a single travel booking of $200 or more, and will appear on your billing statement as “Platinum Annual Travel Credit”. If you cancel your travel booking after redeeming the Annual Travel Credit, you will not be able to use it again in the same year. You can only use one Travel Credit per booking.

*Have been looking at applying for Platinum, but am now reconsidering. That's a $200 loss for first year of the card. The 2X Annual Credit was a MAJOR selling point for this card.
I think they're actively trying to weed you out. That accounting for the credit only helps you once in the first year, so it encourages people to sign up for 1 year and then cancel. I don't think it would be strange for Amex to try to piss off only those people.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by RoutingWonk
I think they're actively trying to weed you out. That accounting for the credit only helps you once in the first year, so it encourages people to sign up for 1 year and then cancel. I don't think it would be strange for Amex to try to piss off only those people.
Exactly. Cancel the card after 1 year but gets $400 in travel credit. I am not surprised that Amex is doing this to prune the churners.
However, I am unhappy as an existing cardholder to have to wait until my anniversary date to get my next $200 travel credit when I usually get it in January.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Amex is definitely reading the forums and blogs..
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:50 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by sethchisholm
WFT is that!!!????
It's also a MAJOR loophole that they finally get around closing. Their original intent wasn't to encourage users to use the card for 1 year, get 2 x $200 credits and welcome bonus and then cancelling the card. Stooping the leakage probably give more incentive for AMEX to enhance the card.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:10 pm

Or 3x$200...
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by SometimeTraveler
Just to change the topic a bit I notice on my latest bill that the $200 dollar rebate will be changing from once per calendar year to once membership year. this change takes place Jan 1/ 19. Not sure how you determine your anniversary date but if it isn't till April 1 you won't get the $200 in 2019 until April at the earliest.But you will have until the following March 31 to claim it.
Well, I guess I'm waiting to see that on my next statement now. My annual date is end of Sep, so I just passed it -- I guess that means I can't redeem again until Oct 2019, instead of Jan 2019; or does that mean I still get Jan 2019 but the next one won't be until Oct 2020?

Slightly annoying for the extra-long delay the first time after this policy comes into play.

But about time they started closing down some of these loopholes for those dropping the card after a year. They should reward those of us who've been holding the cards forever (member since 1993), maybe a renewal bonus every 5 years or something, instead of throwing away monies on the cardmembers who don't stay.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YYJMSP
But about time they started closing down some of these loopholes for those dropping the card after a year. They should reward those of us who've been holding the cards forever (member since 1993), maybe a renewal bonus every 5 years or something, instead of throwing away monies on the cardmembers who don't stay.
Wishful thinking. The loophole exploiting churners are a minority among the cardholders and thus cutting them out won't be enough to cover improvements to the benefits for the long-staying majority of cardholders.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:38 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
They should reward those of us who've been holding the cards forever (member since 1993), maybe a renewal bonus every 5 years or something, instead of throwing away monies on the cardmembers who don't stay.
That is what Cobalt is for.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:59 pm

Well, I guess I'm waiting to see that on my next statement now. My annual date is end of Sep, so I just passed it -- I guess that means I can't redeem again until Oct 2019, instead of Jan 2019; or does that mean I still get Jan 2019 but the next one won't be until Oct 2020?

Slightly annoying for the extra-long delay the first time after this policy comes into play.

You will get your next $200 in Sept. Yes, it's a long wait. Lucky my anniversary date is February, so not too bad.
Agreed that Amex is not doing this fairly to those who did not cheat the system, especially those who have been a long time card member.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Clipper801
You will get your next $200 in Sept. Yes, it's a long wait. Lucky my anniversary date is February, so not too bad.
Agreed that Amex is not doing this fairly to those who did not cheat the system, especially those who have been a long time card member.
Where can we see our $200 credit online?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.