Search

Review of Canadian Amex Plat

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:25 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Good for you

Most people I know (friends/family/coworker) aren't interested in what I can share/offer, either in travel or finance
They just admire or say "oh cool" and move on ... their loss

I agree though, Aeroplan is not for everyone, but it's a known fact, many people just stick with CC from their banks
About 3 years ago my brother got me into the AMEX referral. He was getting over 100k points a year by doing it and he only had a GOLD at the time.

Since my brother won't get plat, and him and his wife love sign up bonuses, I'll just keep referring them once a year for gold. His cheapness is my gain
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Thought this would be a good place to ask instead of starting a new thread.

Does the Amex Plat get you access to Air Canada Lounges, when not ticketed on an AC flight?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by teriyaki

Does the Amex Plat get you access to Air Canada Lounges, when not ticketed on an AC flight?
No. As a matter of fact, it doesn't provide access to MLLs at all.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:55 am

Short answer no.

Long answer, Priority Pass can get you into a at least three MLL regardless of airline. Off the top of my head, LGA, LAX and CDG.

Even longer answers, if you have one of the Aeroplan Amex platinum cards then you have access to all MLL if you're flying AC. Standard Amex Plat does not give you MLL access except for the lounges listed above. If you have a Cent card then you get a complimentary Maple Leaf Lounge membership.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 12:58 am

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Originally Posted by iMedic
Short answer no.

Long answer, Priority Pass can get you into a at least three MLL regardless of airline. Off the top of my head, LGA, LAX and CDG.

Even longer answers, if you have one of the Aeroplan Amex platinum cards then you have access to all MLL if you're flying AC. Standard Amex Plat does not give you MLL access except for the lounges listed above. If you have a Cent card then you get a complimentary Maple Leaf Lounge membership.
Thanks for the comprehesive answer, very much appreciated for the clarification. Crummy plaza premium lounges it is then for me.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 9:07 am

Thanks for the comprehesive answer, very much appreciated for the clarification. Crummy plaza premium lounges it is then for me.
Where are you flying out of? I actually kinda prefer the Plaza lounge at YYZ transborder to the MLL. But then, the TB MLL always feels like it was a step child.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: Avios, Aeroplan, Marriott, x,Hilton
Re: Amex Platinum travel credit

Hope I'm posting in the correct spot.

We recently got the CAD. Amex Platinum and I'm now looking to use the $200 travel credit by booking a hotel on line thru the AMEX website. When I checked one hotel I'm interested in and looked at rooms available, I read " Double run of the House" and I don't know what that means. Run of the House I understand - but Double?

Can anyone help with an explanation.?

Thank you
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:06 am

Run of house usually means will be assigned at check-in.

Double usually guarantees at least a double bed.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: Avios, Aeroplan, Marriott, x,Hilton
Originally Posted by crimsona
Run of house usually means will be assigned at check-in.

Double usually guarantees at least a double bed.
OK Thanks - I'd better check and make sure the hotel doesn't have any rooms where the beds are regular double rather than at least a Queen.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 1:09 pm

Come to think of it, could mean double occupancy too... For the places that might have single beds
Old Jun 24, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: AP
really miss accor elite. It there anyway AE give exception?
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
If you ask the concierge to plan a trip for you at a foreign destination, can they help you find the best deals for cheap travel or do they try to book you in more expensive/upscale hotels ? For example, will they complain if you ask "I need hotels but max $120 per night cost"

Does the benefit of getting a free additional Aeroplan Platinum card exists for Platinum MR cardholers ?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
>> For example, will they complain if you ask "I need hotels but max $120 per night cost"

They will just report back "we cannot find any". They may or may not have done the research for you, if it's too trivial or ridiculous.

>> Does the benefit of getting a free additional Aeroplan Platinum card exists for Platinum MR cardholers ?

Never a published benefit.

I asked them to waive my Aeroplan Platinum fee few years back, they declined (for good reasons).

They have stopped giving this waiver for a few years now.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: Amex Plat CAN
It's also important to distinguish between concierge and Platinum Travel Service. PTS agents are the ones who help you with travel. If you ask the concierge to plan travel for you, they will likely direct you to PTS.

Having said that, PTS is like any other travel agent. You tell them your criteria, they try to find options that match your criteria through their channels, and they let you know what they've found. More vague/open-ended criteria requires more time for them to research, or results in more results for you to flip through.

Edited to add: I suspect that unlike regular brick/mortar-based travel agents, PTS agents likely are not compensated solely on a commission basis. They seem to have happily spent their time researching options and helping me out during IRROPS situations. Based on my experience, I would be surprised if they reject or respond negatively to your request.

I would suggest, however, if you're looking for low cost travel to do the research yourself and look at discount OTAs. Discount OTAs would probably have more options for you at lower prices. The online Amex travel site also has more options than PTS does, since it's outsourced to a discount OTA (Orbitz I believe).

Last edited by Kendryk; Jul 13, 2016 at 9:05 am
Old Dec 23, 2016, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AE
Any idea of when the $200 travel credit posts for 2017 ? I seem to have read some reports that it posts in late December of the preceding year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.