Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Plat [USA] new benefits [6.1.2014]- TSA preCheck and Boingo WiFi

Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: u2g0d
Boingo Sign-up here:
https://amex.boingo.com/

American Express press release is here:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...%C2%AE-Members

Boingo Wireless

Starting in June 2014, Platinum Card Members will receive complimentary, unlimited access to more than 700,000 land-based Wi-Fi hotspots worldwide in airports, retail and hotel locations through the Boingo American Express Preferred Plan. Once enrolled in the plan, Card Members can have simultaneous internet access for up to four devices without worrying about data caps or roaming fees.
Statement Credit Option for TSA Pre✓™

Starting in June 2014, Platinum Card Members will have the option to receive a statement credit for a TSA Pre✓™ application fee. The $85 statement credit for TSA Pre✓™ is an alternative to the existing benefit that American Express launched in 2011―a $100 statement credit for a Global Entry application fee. Card Members can receive a statement credit for either the TSA Pre✓™ or Global Entry program application fee once every five years.

If the Card Member travels internationally, Global Entry can reduce wait time at US Customs when returning from international travel. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, the Card Member will receive access to TSA Pre✓™
If the Card Member does not travel internationally or does not think he/she meets the requirements of Global Entry, the Card Member can opt to apply for TSA Pre✓™ alone. TSA Pre✓™ allows low-risk travelers to experience faster, more efficient screening at participating U.S. airports.
Print Wikipost

Amex Plat [USA] new benefits [6.1.2014]- TSA preCheck and Boingo WiFi

Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jetlagged Traveler
This is the first mention that I've come across of Global Entry being offered once every 5 years, which would cover my renewal.
I was also under the impression that GE reimbursement was a one-time deal. This would be nice, even though you only use it once every 5 years, so it's only $20/year but better than not getting it again.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:17 am
Used to be hamajicky

Whoopty-do. The TSA addition is not really an addition since GE was already a benefit. If anything, since you have to pick and choose, this saves amex $15.

And boingo? Who really uses that anymore? With LTE on my phone, it's way faster than most public hotspots. If they had added Gogo, that would have been nice. Even if just Gogo for mobile devices.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
Do you have unlimited data? If not, why not use Wifi when you could/can and conserve your data for when you really need it?
Yes, I do have unlimited data on my mobile phone hotspot. In practically everywhere I go, the speed of the hotspot is faster than provided wifi.

Call me paranoid, but I don't trust public wifi. Leveraging man in the middle attacks, IMHO, can be quite easy at airports and such..
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Boingo's business model is similar to Priority Pass, they largely buy access to networks with excess capacity. It will be interesting to see if this benefit becomes ongoing, like Priority Pass, or if it is eliminated after a year, like TripIt Pro was.

Originally Posted by Graciecatt
I was also under the impression that GE reimbursement was a one-time deal.
No, it was established in the primary thread that it is one reimbursement every five years:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21644403-post484.html
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nyc2socal
Yes, I do have unlimited data on my mobile phone hotspot. In practically everywhere I go, the speed of the hotspot is faster than provided wifi.
Fair enough. I certainly do not have unlimited LTE data via personal hotspot and I don't think it's a given that everyone does, but sounds like you are covered.

Originally Posted by nyc2socal
Call me paranoid, but I don't trust public wifi. Leveraging man in the middle attacks, IMHO, can be quite easy at airports and such..
I don't find that paranoid, per se, that is why I often use a VPN on public Wifi

Regards
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by u2g0d
I'm pretty sure I got credit for Nexus last year - did you apply through GEOS?
Yes, never got a credit when I did my renewal. Maybe I should contact them and ask, probably can't hurt...
Old Mar 22, 2014, 6:35 pm

NEXUS reimbursement was due to a glitch, AFAIK. They reimbursed the first $100 billed by the system used to register for both GE and NEXUS (CBP GOES). I think they fixed that and communicated that reimbursement will only be for GE.

I got in on it though Was a nice deal for us, family of 3, but one was an infant at the time so $100 covered all 3 of us. We just drove up to YUL for the interview and made a weekend in Montreal out of it.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
GoGo internet would have made me happy. Boingo, mmm, no.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Meh. I'm with others that GoGo would have been a real benefit. When I'm on the ground, I have multiple other ways to connect. Adding Pre isn't really a new benefit, IMO, just an expansion of the existing one.

Aside from the security issues with public wifi, I also find it a bit of a hassle to open up my wireless settings, see what networks are available, try to pick the right one, log in to the paywall, etc., etc., when a Boingo AP might not even be available wherever I am.

Much simpler to just hit the tethering shortcut on my phone that my other devices have remembered and know that I'll be online within ~30 seconds. And FWIW, I do NOT have unlimited data, but usually when I'm tethered it's because I need to do a quick email send/receive, grab one specific file, or some other focused activity, and it's really quite easy to stay within a 2 GB allowance if you just plan accordingly. I spend far more on GoGo than I could ever imagine spending on data overage.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
How many places use Boingo?

So, for example, EWR Airport offers Boingo. Is staying in the airport waiting areas with free Boingo supposed to be a consolation prize for not having free access to their AA UA and US Clubs?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by exmike
and nearly everyone has tethering now with their phones.
No, they don't.
this is a minor benefit at best. they're really reaching
Yes, they are. I agree that it's just a little bit better than nothing.

Originally Posted by mia
Boingo's business model is similar to Priority Pass, they largely buy access to networks with excess capacity. It will be interesting to see if this benefit becomes ongoing, like Priority Pass, or if it is eliminated after a year, like TripIt Pro was.
But it's a MUCH larger pool of resources than PP is, so hopefully that's less likely.

We can all help by using FT for our boingo tech support instead of calling and burdening their call centers with help requests
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:29 am
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
I guess it's something. I am glad that they are continuing to try, but neither seem overly useful, considering we already get GE. Gogo would have been a great perk.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:09 pm

Boingo in the US for me means nothing as i have unlimited data on my phone but for my PC where tethering is extra it's a benefit. Biggest benefit would be international. LHR, NRT etc are Boingo hotspots.

Gogo would have been better.

Called Cent number to see if this was also a Cent benefit. Agent didn't know but said check back in June
Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:21 pm

Now that plat doesn't give access to lounges anymore, which give wifi,
There trying to give us wifi in the reg terminal
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:07 pm

No GoGo?! Ahhh. Like others, I will have to sit and evaluate if I come out well ahead when the AF is due...

I really do enjoy centurion lounges though...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.