Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Old Aug 1, 2021, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Note: If you don't have a qualifying investment account, or if your only investment account is an Access Investing account, there is no longer an Engagement Bonus in the first year of having the CashPlus Platinum account.

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
… I’m uncertain as to the requirements and procedures for a thread to have a Wiki(post). As with the New Platinum Card: To-Do List thread, might this thread qualify for a Wiki?
Originally Posted by mia
Click: Thread Tools > Create a Wikipost and start one.
Okay mia, you’re on. (Disclaimer: I have never applied for any of these MS accounts ... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once .)
Recommended step-by-step guide if goal is MS AmEx Platinum card with bonus and effectively no annual fee as of 8/1/21:

- Open MS Access Investing account (to establish the MS relationship) using online application with $5,000.

- Wait a few days.

- Open Platinum CashPlus account (requires existing MS relationship), must be opened by phone or through an advisor, cannot be done online.

- Fund Platinum CashPlus account with $25K.

- Wait a few days.

- Confirm CashPlus account's Account Fee Status page shows “Morgan Stanley Investment Relationship = Yes”.

- Apply for MS AmEx Platinum Card via the link that shows up in the CashPlus account once it's open.

- $5,000 monthly deposit or Social Security deposit in any amount and $25,000 Average Daily Cash Balance in the Bank Deposit Program to avoid Platinum CashPlus Monthly Account Fee.

- Meet minimum spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card, as of 8/1/21: $6,000 within 6 months to receive sign-up bonus.

- Confirm $695 Annual Engagement Bonus posts to Platinum CashPlus account approximately 6 weeks after credit card approval. (As of 8/1/21, considerable discussion as to whether the FIRST Annual Engagement Bonus is paid within first few months of credit card account opening or at about 1 year after credit card account opening.)

- $1,000+ yearly spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card needed to avoid having to pay taxes on the Engagement Bonus. (This language was removed from the disclosure statement after the Engagement Bonus was increased to $695.)

- Enjoy the sign-up bonus and all other AmEx Plat perks, don’t eat or drink too much .

Notes:

All accounts can be opened the same day, best to wait a few days between account openings/applications to ensure each successive account is fully integrated into MS systems to avoid problems.

Few or no reports of MS AmEx Platinum credit card applications being declined for people with Access Investing and Platinum CashPlus accounts, seems once that MS relationship has been established, credit card approval is almost automatic.

The credit card will count toward Chase’s 5/24.

Premier CashPlus not eligible for $695 Annual Engagement Bonus for the MS AmEx Platinum Card.

MS launched Access Investing in December 2017, launched CashPlus in January 2020.

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:35 am
Original Poster

http://www.morganstanleyindividual.c...tions/MSCards/
Old Mar 7, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
You must have a Smith Barney account; the only difference I see compared to the regular Amex Plat is that you get a free additional card.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
the lesser card..seems pretty decent..especially as a way to extend your membership rewards points...although the bonus aint that hot
Old Mar 7, 2012, 6:17 pm

apparently it is new: http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...08-711248.html

Last edited by drsaith; Mar 8, 2012 at 1:28 pm
Old Mar 8, 2012, 6:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
You must have a Smith Barney account; the only difference I see compared to the regular Amex Plat is that you get a free additional card.
There is also a small bonus for substantial spending, essentially a refund of the annual fee:

Receive an Anniversary Spend Award10 of $500 from Morgan Stanley Smith Barney each year you spend $100,000 on your Card by your anniversary date
Similar on the $95 credit card with a more modest spend:

Receive an Anniversary Spend Award4 of $100 from Morgan Stanley Smith Barney each year you spend $25,000 on your Card by your anniversary date
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
You also get $500 annually if you meet the spend threshhold. This card definitely seems better than the regular Plat.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:53 am

1 Spp card free, that a great deal.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by bluto
You also get $500 annually if you meet the spend threshhold. This card definitely seems better than the regular Plat.
I agree. Looks like I may cancel my Mercedes Platinum this fall when the renewal comes up and signup for this one instead.

Maybe they have some leverage with getting a Centurion invite as an investment bank / broker behind the card
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:18 am

Programs: Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AA Lifetime Gold
My company has an account with Morgan Stanley. Even though I am the managing partner, technically the account is not in my name. If I read the terms and conditions, it seems I don't qualify. Has anyone else had success getting this card even though they don't technically meet the T&C?
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by bluto
My company has an account with Morgan Stanley. Even though I am the managing partner, technically the account is not in my name. If I read the terms and conditions, it seems I don't qualify. Has anyone else had success getting this card even though they don't technically meet the T&C?
Post 4 links to a 3/8/2012 WSJ article indicating these cards are newly released; it's unlikely anyone has any such knowledge yet. My guess would be that you're out of luck though.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mzkaiser
Post 4 links to a 3/8/2012 WSJ article indicating these cards are newly released; it's unlikely anyone has any such knowledge yet. My guess would be that you're out of luck though.
I would contact your MS contact to see if you are eligible.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:53 am

Applied and approved. Process is only via 800 number and speaking with a live agent. Big benefit here is the 50K MR points with only $1,000 spend over three months and a free companion card. Once this arrives, I'm ditching my regular Amex Platinum.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by cardtracker
Applied and approved.
Do you have a Morgan Stanley account?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Do you have a Morgan Stanley account?
Yes, part of the application process is an apparent validation that you have a MSSB brokerage account.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cardtracker
Yes, part of the application process is an apparent validation that you have a MSSB brokerage account.
Want to help a brother out who's too lazy to call his MSSB financial advisor and give us that application 1-800 number?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.