Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
*** Limited time offer ***
Amex EveryDay 15000 MR points after $1000 in 3 months

The 15,000 MR points offer is still available via referral from someone who already has the card. See or ask for this in the discussion. Or look at the Amex referral page: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...posting-3.html.

These are the direct links on americanexpress.com. I have not scoured the internet to seek better offers. Note that both offers include this standard language:

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
Opening the application link in a Private or Incognito browser window, and not supplying any information about existing accounts, should prevent American Express from identifying you as currently having a card during the application process. They can still instantly determine this using your Social Security number, but in practice this may not occur.

Everyday Preferred (Groceries 3X, Gasoline 2X, General 1X; 50% bonus for 30 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 15,000 POINTS
Get 15,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†

ANNUAL FEE
$95 Annual Fee
--------------

Everyday (Groceries 2X, General 1X; 20% bonus for 20 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 10,000 POINTS
Get 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†

ANNUAL FEE
NO ANNUAL FEE
**You can now do a product change from AMEX Blue to the regular fee free AMEX EveryDay card. Unsure about other AMEX products that you can change TO the EveryDay card** This would probably preclude you from receiving any sign-up bonus, but moving from the Blue to this card is a + for some.

Use this calculator to work out whether you're better off with the preferred or regular card.
Print Wikipost

American Express "Everyday" Cards (2014 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:22 pm

Doesn't seem too great... I shop for groceries mostly at warehouse stores and walmart super centers, very limited spend at traditional supermarkets. Also doesnt make sense to switch to supermarket vs walmart/warehouse if prices are higher.

Anyone with similar situation?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:36 pm
Suspended

My only concern is if AMEX MR points are worth at least 1.5 cent, since I won't go through all the hoopla to get to 20 transaction per month.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kenshinluo
Doesn't seem too great... I shop for groceries mostly at warehouse stores and walmart super centers, very limited spend at traditional supermarkets. Also doesnt make sense to switch to supermarket vs walmart/warehouse if prices are higher.

Anyone with similar situation?
Absolutely. I used to shop at Vons (Safeway). But the nearby Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market has better prices. Wal-Mart also has a better and cheaper selection of drug items and sundries. And I sometimes recharge my Bluebird while at the Wal-Mart market. Also, sometimes I'll do some food shopping at Target. And I buy food items at Costco as well (does anybody roast a chicken anymore?).

MR points are nice, but they're not worth it to me if I'd be forced to pay higher prices at Vons for groceries.

It would be great if AmEx realized this and if there were a way they could identify "supermarket" shopping at non-traditional supermarkets. Unless they do, this would be the Achilles heel of this card for me.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
NEW: American Express Everyday Cards

Since this is a credit card, the AmEx 4 credit card limit is going to make it hard for me to get it. I think it's a great card.

Last edited by mia; Mar 2, 2014 at 5:01 pm
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:00 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kenshinluo
Doesn't seem too great...
IF it is true that the free version of this card participates in standard Membership Rewards rather than Membership Rewards Express this card is valuable, even if seldom used, because it can preserve a points balance accumulated by churning the Gold and Platinum charge cards, without paying an annual fee or (temporarily) losing the ability to transfer to airline and hotel programs.

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
...if AMEX MR points are worth at least 1.5 cent, ...
The only way to reliably achieve more than $0.01 per point is to transfer to an airline frequent flyer program, and then the valuation depends on how you redeem miles.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
IFThe only way to reliably achieve more than $0.01 per point is to transfer to an airline frequent flyer program, and then the valuation depends on how you redeem miles.
Yeah, I just checked the MR airline transfer partners and it seems they are mostly scummy ones: Skyteam miles are basically worthless, JetBlue, Virgin and BA are fixed value, while the others I never fly.

I think I keep my Blue Cash for now.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:05 pm

I'm getting the preferred card for sure. Spend 6k on visa gift cards in a month with 30 transactions. Will have 11 months to decide how tough 30 swipes will be on non category bonus spend for the 3x gas.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ckgunn01
I'm getting the preferred card for sure. Spend 6k on visa gift cards in a month with 30 transactions. Will have 11 months to decide how tough 30 swipes will be on non category bonus spend for the 3x gas.
You need 30 swipes EVERY MONTH to qualify for the bonus.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:08 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....BA are fixed value, while the others I never fly.
Don't know what you mean by "fixed value", but BA's program is arguably the best value for USA domestic economy class flights if you live in a market that is well serviced by AA (or US) or AS.

Likewise, there is no need to ever fly AC, NH or SQ to use their programs to redeem for travel on any Star Alliance carrier, including UA.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
Don't know what you mean by "fixed value", but BA's program is arguably the best value for USA domestic economy class flights if you live in a market that is well serviced by AA (or US) or AS.

Likewise, there is no need to ever fly AC, NH or SQ to use their programs to redeem for travel on any Star Alliance carrier, including UA.
I don't redeem for domestic economy class flights. Waste of Avios (or points).
Let's take BOS-LAX on AA. Would cost about $125 one way or 12,500 Avios. Value: 1 Avios = 1 cent. HORRIBLE!
Instead, I redeemed 4500 Avios for LIM-CUZ which goes for $180: 1 Avios = 4 cents. GREAT!!

Last edited by Dieuwer; Mar 2, 2014 at 5:16 pm
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:13 pm

You need 30 swipes EVERY MONTH to qualify for the bonus.
My point was that I would evaluate how difficult getting 30 swipes every month would be in order to get gas all year at 3x. But I'm getting the card for the 4.5x on 6k groceries for sure. At a minimum I'll drop to free version to keep points active.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ckgunn01
My point was that I would evaluate how difficult getting 30 swipes every month would be in order to get gas all year at 3x. But I'm getting the card for the 4.5x on 6k groceries for sure. At a minimum I'll drop to free version to keep points active.
I don't think I will even make 20 swipes/month. Most business in my neighborhood don't accept AMEX. Only the grocery store. And I ain't wasting gas to drive to the grocery store every day to buy a token amount of stuff.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:21 pm

Instead, I redeemed 4500 Avios for LIM-CUZ which goes for $180: 1 Avios = 4 cents. GREAT!!
So, what's your point against the card! MR can transfer to Avios, which, from your example can be worth 4 cents each. So I still don't understand your fixed price comment.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by silver6054
So, what's your point against the card! MR can transfer to Avios, which, from your example can be worth 4 cents each. So I still don't understand your fixed price comment.
I already have the CSP which I used to transfer to BA. Why should I get an AMEX??
My fixed priced comment was mostly directed at JetBlue. Not familiar with the programs of VX, SQ, NH, etc.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:37 pm

I already have the CSP which I used to transfer to BA. Why should I get an AMEX??
My fixed priced comment was mostly directed at JetBlue. Not familiar with the programs of VX, SQ, NH, etc.
OK, but in your original comment

Yeah, I just checked the MR airline transfer partners and it seems they are mostly scummy ones: Skyteam miles are basically worthless, JetBlue, Virgin and BA are fixed value, while the others I never fly.

I didn't realize you meant "and those that aren't scummy I already have covered" or that you didn't include Virgin and BA as fixed value!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.