Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
*** Limited time offer ***
Amex EveryDay 15000 MR points after $1000 in 3 months

The 15,000 MR points offer is still available via referral from someone who already has the card. See or ask for this in the discussion. Or look at the Amex referral page: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...posting-3.html.

These are the direct links on americanexpress.com. I have not scoured the internet to seek better offers. Note that both offers include this standard language:

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
Opening the application link in a Private or Incognito browser window, and not supplying any information about existing accounts, should prevent American Express from identifying you as currently having a card during the application process. They can still instantly determine this using your Social Security number, but in practice this may not occur.

Everyday Preferred (Groceries 3X, Gasoline 2X, General 1X; 50% bonus for 30 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 15,000 POINTS
Get 15,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†

ANNUAL FEE
$95 Annual Fee
--------------

Everyday (Groceries 2X, General 1X; 20% bonus for 20 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 10,000 POINTS
Get 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†

ANNUAL FEE
NO ANNUAL FEE
**You can now do a product change from AMEX Blue to the regular fee free AMEX EveryDay card. Unsure about other AMEX products that you can change TO the EveryDay card** This would probably preclude you from receiving any sign-up bonus, but moving from the Blue to this card is a + for some.

Use this calculator to work out whether you're better off with the preferred or regular card.
Print Wikipost

American Express "Everyday" Cards (2014 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by jalm1
It is going to really depend upon your redemption preferences.

I used to be big on UR as I lived in a UA hub and mostly flew UA. Now in another city I have moved back to MR and really like this card. For me it was partially about simplification. With this card I can effectively carry 2 cards (EDP and citi premier soon to be prestige) and that yields category bonuses on: dining, travel, groceries, and gas plus 1.5 mr on all non-bonus spending.

Like you I live in a city and really don't care about the gas benefit. I also don't have the bandwidth or desire to deal with ms or gift cards. So this two card (in my wallet) solution provides the best yield covering the categories I spend in.

For non bonus spend it came down to 1.5mr, 1 spg, or 2% cash. The latter two meant a third card to carry as the grocery is a good category for me. Don't forget there are other bonuses that Amex runs that can make this 2.5x on other non bonus spend (eg, uber, small business). I personally don't want to carry that many cards as I often have a third I am trying to hit a min spend on.

EDP also means that when I need to charge on the plat (warranty, hotel benefit, etc) those points are not orphaned. I also have generally found redemptions that work for me on MR. While I love spg points, I don't fly AA so there is enough overlap between the partners that I rather have the speed of MR transfers vs. spg transfers.

In the end, I find enoug incremental value from the extra mr points from this card to choose mr over another program.
Yeah, well said.

It is mostly about redemptions, and MR just aren't that great for me. Nothing is easy.

But when I look at the annual spend I'd put on these categories, I could generate about 36k SPG, which I'd probably move to Alaska or 63k MR, which I'd use on Flying Blue or Avios or maybe Krisflyer.

I think the extra miles, even on less useful programs, is going to get me farther in the long run. Plus, as others have pointed out, the occasional Amex offer will add some value. And it's good to keep some spend with Amex, I guess. Spread the MS out a bit.

Thanks for that. Helped me a lot!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
Originally Posted by Mortgasm
I could generate about 36k SPG, which I'd probably move to Alaska or 63k MR, which I'd use on Flying Blue or Avios or maybe krisflyer
Now if only MR would add ALaska as a partner....
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by jalm1
Now if only MR would add ALaska as a partner....
Well, depending on where you want to go with Alaska, you may be better off xferring to BA Avios than a direct Alaska xfer anyway. Combined with transfer bonuses (when they do them), this can make for a really cheap trip, say, from the west coast to Hawaii (12.5k one way in economy or only ~9600 MR points if there's a 30% bonus (hypothetical here)) on Alaska. That's compared to 20-30k you'd need w/ Alaska miles for the same trip.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:39 am

Does anyone have any recent experience with upgrade offers? My wife and I think it's worth our while to upgrade from EveryDay to EveryDay Preferred.

When I upgraded my personal card from Gold to Platinum, I was offered 50k MR. I'm wondering if there's something similar (though obviously more modest) available for upgrading to Preferred.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:05 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by thtsapaddlin
Does anyone have any recent experience with upgrade offers? My wife and I think it's worth our while to upgrade from EveryDay to EveryDay Preferred.
Because card issuers are now reluctant (or flat out refuse) to upgrade people to cards with higher annual fees within the first year of holding a card, coupled with the fact that these cards were just introduced a year ago... I would expect that nobody has received such an offer from Amex yet.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by thtsapaddlin

When I upgraded my personal card from Gold to Platinum, I was offered 50k MR. I'm wondering if there's something similar (though obviously more modest) available for upgrading to Preferred.
On the phone with AmEx in early Feb 2015 about a different matter, the rep said we needed to "convert" my old Blue card to an EveryDay card. No offers. I feel like an idiot- must have been distracted because I went through with it without checking to see if I was actually getting a new product or what. I now have an EveryDay card with the same account number as the old Blue card.
Later I tried (via chat and phone) to get the 10,000 MR signup bonus for the EveryDay card but told I was not eligible- because I had it since 2001. I said "Wait, but wasn't that the Blue card and I see both the Blue card and the EveryDay card available as separate cards on the website". The phone rep told me I was ineligible because they were the same product "family".
I'm still not convinced.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: United Gold Elite, former multi-year Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Does anyone know if one can charge $6K in groceries on the Blue Cash card and then also charge $6K in groceries (at 3x) on this card? In other words, can one carry both cards and get bonuses on $12K in groceries, or does AMEX limit that to $6K total.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by youngdlplat
Does anyone know if one can charge $6K in groceries on the Blue Cash card and then also charge $6K in groceries (at 3x) on this card? In other words, can one carry both cards and get bonuses on $12K in groceries, or does AMEX limit that to $6K total.
Separate card, separate bonus. Beware of FR, though.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:52 am

I tried looking around but wasn't able to find anything. Does anybody know if its possible to have both the everyday and everyday preferred at the same time? i currently have the everyday card.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:47 pm
Formerly known as jlars77

Originally Posted by vishalp0826
I tried looking around but wasn't able to find anything. Does anybody know if its possible to have both the everyday and everyday preferred at the same time? i currently have the everyday card.
I would like to know too--how about you apply and let us know!

BTW, I just received 25k MR targeted offer on the non-preferred card in the mail yesterday...just one week after the 100k MR offer on the Platinum. For some reason AMEX really wants my business as of late.
Old May 3, 2015, 3:59 pm

No Rewards Points if payment made before end of billing period?

I'm really frustrated with AmEx right now.
I just have the everyday card.
If you make 20 or more purchases, you get 20% points for all your purchases. However, this excludes credits to your balance, for like if you get a refund, then that purchase does count as 1 purchase but it isn't included in the final amount that get's the 20%.

I made a payment well before the end of the billing period. It was almost the whole amount.
I put some effort to make those 20 purchases. As a normal ol person, It's kind of hard making 20 DIFFERENT purchases.
But turns out, that payment is considered a credit to the balance and so that cuts down the final balance in the end that receives the 20% to almost nothing. How is a payment just simply regarded as credit??

What is this stupid rule?

I filed a dispute but it says the expected date of resolution is wayy beyond the end of my billing cycle. So I "might" be able to get that payment amount back but it'll be too late by then.

I used to use the chase freedom card and always made my payments before the date and still received a good amount of reward points.

This is SOOO disappointing.

Did anyone else go through this?

How did you resolve it? If you even did at all.
Old May 3, 2015, 4:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ladynarmo
I made a payment well before the end of the billing period. It was almost the whole amount.
But turns out, that payment is considered a credit to the balance and so that cuts down the final balance in the end that receives the 20% to almost nothing.
How, specifically, do you know this? How long has your card been open (how many statements have been generated)?
Old May 3, 2015, 4:12 pm

I was looking through all my purchases. And then on the top, I read that credits will subtract from the final qualifying amount for the 20%. I got curious so I asked someone through chat and they said yes that amount is deducted from the 20% amount. He suggested I file a dispute to get that amount back through a check and if I succeed, The whole amount would qualify for the 20% rewards. I didn't ask some random person through chat. I used the chat customer service on the AmEx site.
Old May 3, 2015, 4:19 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Payments are not treated the same as a credit from a merchant. I suggest that you wait until the points from this billing cycle have been posted to see if there is really a problem. To be sure there is no misunderstanding, you will not receive any points when the statement closes. Points are first shown as pending, and then posted to your rewards account a few days after the next statement is generated. Only then will you be able to see the details of the calculation.
Old May 3, 2015, 4:35 pm

Are you sure that applies specifically for the AmEx everyday card? I mean the customer service rep told me so I'd assume... it's right... but is there someone I can talk with to make SURE of that rule? Either way, I'd be equally as mad to realize that the rep gave me wrong information....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.