American Express "Everyday" Cards

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 9, 18, 6:37 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: pgary
Wiki Link
*** Limited time offer ***
Amex EveryDay 15000 MR points after $1000 in 3 months

The 15,000 MR points offer is still available via referral from someone who already has the card. See or ask for this in the discussion. Or look at the Amex referral page: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...posting-3.html.

These are the direct links on americanexpress.com. I have not scoured the internet to seek better offers. Note that both offers include this standard language:

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
Opening the application link in a Private or Incognito browser window, and not supplying any information about existing accounts, should prevent American Express from identifying you as currently having a card during the application process. They can still instantly determine this using your Social Security number, but in practice this may not occur.

Everyday Preferred (Groceries 3X, Gasoline 2X, General 1X; 50% bonus for 30 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 15,000 POINTS
Get 15,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†

ANNUAL FEE
$95 Annual Fee
--------------

Everyday (Groceries 2X, General 1X; 20% bonus for 20 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 10,000 POINTS
Get 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†

ANNUAL FEE
NO ANNUAL FEE
**You can now do a product change from AMEX Blue to the regular fee free AMEX EveryDay card. Unsure about other AMEX products that you can change TO the EveryDay card** This would probably preclude you from receiving any sign-up bonus, but moving from the Blue to this card is a + for some.

Use this calculator to work out whether you're better off with the preferred or regular card.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 8, 18, 5:43 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, AA, WN, BA, AS, Priceline, Radisson, Hyatt, IHG, Wyndham, Hilton
Originally Posted by yugi View Post
It resumed for me on 07/01, but transactions from 06/24-30 were not counted. This happened few years ago as well.
They fixed the issue. All the previous transactions are now counted.
Old Jul 16, 18, 1:29 pm

How close does Amex pay attention to gift card sales with the Everyday Preferred card? I wouldn't be doing a lot, probably $75 to $100 a week, but I would be buying a gift card at a Safeway or something and then using the gift card over at Fred Meyers. This would be after the minimum spend requirement was met (with honest non-gift card items, probably a hotel booking I have coming up). I know they pay attention to that stuff for the sign up bonus, but do you think they would flag my account or revoke points if I was buying just three or four gift cards a month on the card, doing small vending machine spends to make sure I hit my 30 transactions, and then rounding it all out with a bill or two (each at about $100)?
Old Jul 16, 18, 1:40 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
I do not think there is persuasive evidence that buying merchant gift cards is a problem. If you start to buy Amex/Discover/MasterCard/VISA giftcards it's different.
Old Jul 16, 18, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by mia View Post
I do not think there is persuasive evidence that buying merchant gift cards is a problem. If you start to buy Amex/Discover/MasterCard/VISA giftcards it's different.
Shoot, that’s the thing. I don’t know if/think that Safeway sells Kroger gift cards. But they do have VISA etc ones that then I could go use at Fred Meyer... damn it, I just wanna earn the bonus in groceries at Fred Meyer, which is where I honestly buy my groceries.... not in bulk... not big screen TVs and stuff, but literally food items >.<
Old Aug 19, 18, 10:49 pm

Programs: Too many to count!
Owning both Everyday Preferred and Everyday cards

I've had the Everyday Preferred card for a couple of years now. A few months ago (before AmEx instituted the new welcome bonus checker during the card application process) I applied for the Everyday card when I was able to pull up the 25,000 point bonus. I was instantly approved and my bonus points arrived last month.
This month I was going to help my mom do the same thing. We waited because we wanted to time it to coincide with some big purchases she'll be making. She has the Everyday Preferred card, a Delta Gold card, and just 2 other cards. She has never had the Everyday card. She has an excellent credit score. There is no way she could be considered a churner. Yet when we filled out the application, we got the dreaded "because of your history..."
I called AmEx to ask why she is not eligible for the welcome bonus and the rep says its because she already has the Preferred card, that they are the same family of cards.
I thought these were considered two different products. Is this another new change in how AmEx decides if you get the bonus? Not just same card, but whether you've had a card in the same family?
Old Aug 20, 18, 6:45 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by CynthiaD View Post
....she already has the Preferred card, that they are the same family of cards....
This is not entirely new. If you scroll back through this thread you will find previous reports. Some people do have both Everyday and Preferred, but the applications were typically spaced a year or more apart. How long has your mother held Everyday Preferred? I don't know whether the new screening algorithm will eliminate this possibility completely.

I would not generalize from this to other families of cards. There is not yet any evidence that holding (example) one SkyMiles card will disqualify earning a bonus for another Skymiles card.

Last edited by mia; Aug 20, 18 at 7:37 am
Old Aug 20, 18, 8:18 pm

Amex Everday Credit Card Lineup/Family Question

Tried looking it up but there is nothing specific to what i am looking for.

With Amex "once per lifetime language", if i sign up for the amex everyday and get the 25k targeted bonus, can i sign up for the amex everyday preferred and get a bonus for that as well? or are both cards considered part of the same credit card line up, so i can only get it once?

thanks
Old Aug 20, 18, 11:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
They are considered to be different cards by Amex. You can collect the signup bonus for both cards, as long as you've never held either card before.
Old Aug 21, 18, 4:38 am
mia

Please scroll back to read recent discussion of this question. Everyday and Preferred are separate products, BUT obtaining both bonuses has required spacing the applications a year or so apart, and we do not know if that strategy still works.
Old Aug 23, 18, 6:40 pm

Programs: Too many to count!
Originally Posted by mia View Post
How long has your mother held Everyday Preferred?
She has had it since Nov 2015 so definitely longer than 1 year. She did recently ask for a credit line increase on the Preferred card so I wonder if that played a part.
Old Aug 28, 18, 6:59 am

AMEX Everyday question

I just got the AMEX everyday card. The card has 0% balance transfer and 0% purchases for 15 months. I'm planing to do balance transfer. Usually when I have balance transfer on the credit card, I make sure I dont use the card anymore because i dont want to pay interest for regular purchases. But this AMEX card comes with 0% purchases for 15 months on top of Balance transfer. So my question is .. is it ok to use the card for reguar purchases after I took advantage of the balance transfer offer? They will not charge me interest for regular purchases correct?
Old Aug 28, 18, 8:15 am

Correct.
Old Aug 30, 18, 10:57 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by acarney View Post
How close does Amex pay attention to gift card sales with the Everyday Preferred card? I wouldn't be doing a lot, probably $75 to $100 a week, but I would be buying a gift card at a Safeway or something and then using the gift card over at Fred Meyers. This would be after the minimum spend requirement was met (with honest non-gift card items, probably a hotel booking I have coming up). I know they pay attention to that stuff for the sign up bonus, but do you think they would flag my account or revoke points if I was buying just three or four gift cards a month on the card, doing small vending machine spends to make sure I hit my 30 transactions, and then rounding it all out with a bill or two (each at about $100)?
Publix grocery stores runs a 'buy a $50 gas card for $40' typically a couple times a month. I buy one as part of a bundle of groceries when that promotion is on and Amex has never seemed to have an issue with that, even during the sign-up bonus phase for a couple of different AmEx cards I have.
Old Aug 31, 18, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Publix grocery stores runs a 'buy a $50 gas card for $40' typically a couple times a month. I buy one as part of a bundle of groceries when that promotion is on and Amex has never seemed to have an issue with that, even during the sign-up bonus phase for a couple of different AmEx cards I have.
My problem is that it wouldn't be a gift card for a specific retailer, it would have to be a VISA or MasterCard gift card which I could then use over at Fred Meyer (Kroger family of stores). I really don't do any grocery shopping at any other stores (prices are higher, service is FAR slower, items are lower quality or don't carry what I buy most the time, etc). So the purchase really would be like a $50 gift card or $100 gift card, MAYBE I could toss one or two items on there as well (milk or apples or something) but it wouldn't get mixed in with other items. I would use the card at least 30 times a month, but the rest of the charges would probably be pretty small (vending machine at work, etc) and I might shift one or two bills each month onto it. However, the one focus I have right now is getting the money I spend on food items to pick up some kind of bonus, so I won't be creating new spending to put on it as that would defeat the purpose :P
Old Oct 8, 18, 11:54 am

DO you folks like AMEX Everyday Preffered 50% BONUS!

How come on one is mentioning the AMEX Preferred Everyday? Yes its $95 annual fee, but we get a 50% bonus after 30 transactions. To get around that many simply load 50 cents to their amazon gift card. I'm new to this CC game, but from I've read AMEX points along with Chase UR are very valuable. Wouldn't the 50% bonus make this thee Card to have?

For the record I have the AmEx Everyday no annual fee . I get 20% bonus after reloading my gift card 20x.

Now with that said, there is a WF Propel card that offers 3x and no annual fee. But, I'm not familiar with WF's point redemptions. If they are as valuable book flights or hotels.

Thank you.

Search this Thread