Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
*** Limited time offer ***
Amex EveryDay 15000 MR points after $1000 in 3 months

The 15,000 MR points offer is still available via referral from someone who already has the card. See or ask for this in the discussion. Or look at the Amex referral page: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...posting-3.html.

These are the direct links on americanexpress.com. I have not scoured the internet to seek better offers. Note that both offers include this standard language:

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
Opening the application link in a Private or Incognito browser window, and not supplying any information about existing accounts, should prevent American Express from identifying you as currently having a card during the application process. They can still instantly determine this using your Social Security number, but in practice this may not occur.

Everyday Preferred (Groceries 3X, Gasoline 2X, General 1X; 50% bonus for 30 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 15,000 POINTS
Get 15,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†

ANNUAL FEE
$95 Annual Fee
--------------

Everyday (Groceries 2X, General 1X; 20% bonus for 20 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 10,000 POINTS
Get 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†

ANNUAL FEE
NO ANNUAL FEE
**You can now do a product change from AMEX Blue to the regular fee free AMEX EveryDay card. Unsure about other AMEX products that you can change TO the EveryDay card** This would probably preclude you from receiving any sign-up bonus, but moving from the Blue to this card is a + for some.

Use this calculator to work out whether you're better off with the preferred or regular card.
Print Wikipost

American Express "Everyday" Cards (2014 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:20 pm

Just wondering why you did 8 purchases on the last day of the month, since I believe it's the number you have in a calendar month that counts. Or are you planning on doing 22 more purchases today? Could be done......

Originally Posted by JWEMTX
I got my Everyday Preferred card yesterday and did some test purchases.

Bought two separate small items ($1 each) at grocery store and both are showing as pending charges on the phone app.

Bought two separate VR ($500 each) and both are showing as pending charges on the phone app.

Bought two separate $0.15 Amazon gift cards and both are showing as pending charges on the phone app ***But they are showing up as $1.15***

Bought two separate $1.00 Amazon gift cards both are showing as pending charges on the phone app ***both are showing up as $1.00***

So total, I have 8 pending charges for the "Extra Points Benefit" tracker... I'll update if the pending charges all get credited as separate purchases

Last edited by mia; Mar 31, 2014 at 12:24 pm Reason: Repair formatting
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:23 pm

IMHO the Everyday card makes the $450 AMEX cards (and most other cards) look like beautiful works of art.

Originally Posted by lazard
It is a cheap card, but I find pretty much all their cards are of the same quality. Like their platinum card...feels quite cheap for a $450 AF card.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:27 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by upgrader
...I believe it's the number you have in a calendar month that counts...
I think not:

If you make 30 or more separate purchases of goods or services in a billing period with your Amex EveryDaySM Preferred Credit Card ("Card"), you earn 50% extra Membership Rewards points on those purchases less returns and credits with a date in that billing period.
https://www304.americanexpress.com/p.../#cardbenefits
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:30 pm

Thumbs up

Once again, thank you mia for knowing the facts. ^ That's twice in one week you've straightened me out. Clearly I'm a slow learner.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:11 pm

Just an update, the charges moved from "pending" to "posted" but the purchase counter has remained "0" even for the legitimate spends. Billing cycle closes April 6th
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by JWEMTX
I applied for the Everyday Preferred, got approved, then cancelled my PRG (my AF was coming up).

On a different note, I got my Everyday Preferred card yesterday and did some test purchases.

Bought two separate small items ($1 each) at grocery store and both are showing as pending charges on the phone app.

Bought two separate VR ($500 each) and both are showing as pending charges on the phone app.

Bought two separate $0.15 Amazon gift cards and both are showing as pending charges on the phone app ***But they are showing up as $1.15***

Bought two separate $1.00 Amazon gift cards both are showing as pending charges on the phone app ***both are showing up as $1.00***

So total, I have 8 pending charges for the "Extra Points Benefit" tracker... I'll update if the pending charges all get credited as separate purchases
Well that was quick... I just doublechecked my purchase counter and all of my small purchase are now showing towards the 30 goal. Even the $0.15 posted correctly (not $1.15). I just made additional Amazon gc purchases and my pending charges will put me over the 30 goal.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:35 pm

Glad to hear that JWEMTX is well on her/his way to the magical 30. I wonder if at some point in the not too distant future AMEX will realize the situation they have established for us and will change some rules that will disallow a lot of very small charges that are not consistent with the cardholder's "normal" pattern of charges. Otherwise, this is in all likiehood will become a parade of miniscule charges that will kill the goose and remove the golden egg. Why not divide payments of any kind on any single bill to whatever fraction is necessary to attain the 30 required charges? (e.g., a bill of $100 is paid off in 30 payments of $3.33 (plus a few cents) over one billing period.) I just do not believe the current formula will work in the long run for AMEX. And maybe the "long run" will be a relatively short period before "cardholder abuses" are used as the rational for changing the rules. And it would be hard to argue against such changes although many of us might say to AMEX "You should have thought of that in the first place." Perhaps this is a conscious strategy by AMEX in the "loss leader" vein and they realize it will not benefit them in the long run but will get them a lot of new customers in the short run and "sadly, we have to change the rules because of customer abuse of the spirit of our card". We'll see.

P.S. mia, the only post of mine I'm not really worried about you correcting (see some of my earlier thanks to mia for helping me read accurately and completely) is the one with my comments about the card itself. It truly is ugly and cheap. Not that there's anything wrong with that. (Good night, Jerry)
Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by upgrader
I just do not believe the current formula will work in the long run for AMEX. And maybe the "long run" will be a relatively short period before "cardholder abuses" are used as the rational for changing the rules.
Doesn't Amex charge a flat fee for a number of transactions (plus a %-age)? If so, the money from that may make up for the points they give away . . . only if someone would otherwise have a small number of large $ transactions, and then hits the threshold through (say) 25 tiny transactions will they have to award a lot of bonus points for a small swipe fee gain.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:16 am

Whats the likelihood of the bonus increasing from the 10k points for $1000 spend in 3 months? Im debating whether to apply now or hold out for a potentially bigger signup bonus.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
I'd imagine it's unlikely to go lower, so maybe hold out?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by flyertm
Whats the likelihood of the bonus increasing from the 10k points for $1000 spend in 3 months? Im debating whether to apply now or hold out for a potentially bigger signup bonus.
My thoughts exactly...

Plus, why apply for the Preferred card with the annual fee not waived the first year and only 15,000 MR points?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
Doesn't Amex charge a flat fee for a number of transactions (plus a %-age)? If so, the money from that may make up for the points they give away . . . only if someone would otherwise have a small number of large $ transactions, and then hits the threshold through (say) 25 tiny transactions will they have to award a lot of bonus points for a small swipe fee gain.
That's why this card was made. It's a pitiful competitor to the Chase cards and it's mainly directed towards having merchants pony up the transaction fee every time you run a charge.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Strawboy1230
That's why this card was made. It's a pitiful competitor to the Chase cards and it's mainly directed towards having merchants pony up the transaction fee every time you run a charge.
I forgot about that. That has to hurt.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Strawboy1230
It's a pitiful competitor to the Chase cards
In what way? For the cardholder? Which Chase cards are more lucrative than this for grocery spend?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by aw82
In what way? For the cardholder? Which Chase cards are more lucrative than this for grocery spend?
Ah. I take that back. Admittedly, it is a good complement to say, the CSP simply because the categories it covers don't overlap with CSP. But the initial sign-up bonus is just so eh.........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.