Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX platinum business card, 150K MR with 20K spend in 3MO

AMEX platinum business card, 150K MR with 20K spend in 3MO

Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by harish7447
Not sure if I'm posting this on the right thread. But I got an bonus offer for 150k points for Platinum buisness. Spend 20k. Is it worth it to go for with the $450 fee not waived? Please advise and let me know the advantages of getting this. Also I have no idea of how manufactured spending works? Any tips please
I took advantage of this offer and the points posted within 6 weeks of the statement where I'd made the spend. I just used them for $13,000 (via ITA) worth of long-haul business class tickets on Delta. And the fees/taxes for those tickets will be reimbursed to the tune of $200, making my net out of pocket for year 1 $250.

If you have difficulty spending $20K over 3 months then the promo may not be worth your trouble. Manufactured spend means you buy stuff you were otherwise going to (paying bills using Plastiq, purchasing cash equivalents like gift cards to then use for day to day purposes) but you go through some extra hassle or cost to get it on a credit card. I don't do MS per se although I buy as many gift cards as I have time for from Staples to get 5X on Ink. I find the GCs to be about as much headache as I want to live with; the hardcore, real-deal manufactured spending tricks require constant vigilance, a large cash float, and point of sale behaviors that will appear quite eccentric even to many seasoned FT users.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 1:01 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Are there any public offers or RSVP codes for this? Bummed that I missed out earlier this year.

Originally Posted by harish7447
Not sure if I'm posting this on the right thread. But I got an bonus offer for 150k points for Platinum buisness. Spend 20k. Is it worth it to go for with the $450 fee not waived? Please advise and let me know the advantages of getting this. Also I have no idea of how manufactured spending works? Any tips please
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
150K pts for $15K spend

Just got this offer in the mail: 100K pts after $5K spend in 3 months and an extra 50K pts if I spend an additional $10K in the same period. Thinking about it....
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mangoMan
Just got this offer in the mail: 100K pts after $5K spend in 3 months and an extra 50K pts if I spend an additional $10K in the same period. Thinking about it....
If you have the ability to do 15k, that would be nice. With the death of RB and no big expenses coming up, that would be out of reach for me sadly.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by TMM1982
If you have the ability to do 15k, that would be nice. With the death of RB and no big expenses coming up, that would be out of reach for me sadly.
Yeah, I'm still waffling. I think I can do the first $5K pretty easily with regular spend, and I can easily do another $10K in 4th quarter estimated taxes, but that will incur a ~$240 fee. Still, $240 for the extra 50K pts (+ 10K pts for the spend) is only about 0.4 cents/pt, which is pretty good. Hmmm, better start filling out the application so I can get the card before end of the year and get my $200 airline credit for 2015 (they still do it by calendar year, right?).
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by philip0
Manufactured spend means you buy stuff you were otherwise going to (paying bills using Plastiq, purchasing cash equivalents like gift cards to then use for day to day purposes) but you go through some extra hassle or cost to get it on a credit card.
I'm not sure most people would agree with your definition of MS. MS is creating spend where none existed, hence the name. It's creating a vicious circle of money forever eating its own tail that doesn't exist anywhere except as roughly matching debits and credits on the balance sheets of various entities.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator reminder

Originally Posted by CWAL
I'm not sure most people would agree with your definition of MS. .
Agreed, philip0 described category shifting, which is a useful technique for earning more points per dollar of real spend. In any event, Flyertalk has a separate forum dedicated to Manufactured Spending and related techniques. We do not need to replicate the discussion here.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by CWAL
I'm not sure most people would agree with your definition of MS. MS is creating spend where none existed, hence the name. It's creating a vicious circle of money forever eating its own tail that doesn't exist anywhere except as roughly matching debits and credits on the balance sheets of various entities.
I suppose that's true: what I described is more "diverted spend" than "manufactured spend" now that you mention it. Probably because I don't even do the latter thing, too much of an extreme sport for me. That you called it a vicious circle rather than a virtuous one is significant, though, and should signal to guys like harish7447 that MS is an advanced method for Points Jedis. Inadvisable for guys who don't already reflexively know whether an Amex Plat 150K signup is worthwhile.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:40 am
Suspended

Is anyone seeing higher than 40k as the best public offer? If it is that is truly pathetic.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:44 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
When I log into my online account, I'm targeted for the 75K offer. But I'm still holding out for the 150K.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 10:59 am

So I just got the 150k offer for $20k spend offer for the business card.

How I believe I got targeted - it was offered to my new business in Wyoming that I registered in October. It has relatively low gross income (maybe $50k) and just one bank account. I think it was 100% tied to that business. It does have a federal EIN. I'd have to guess it has to do with that - or the zip code, which is Jackson, WY which is a very high end community.

Hopefully that info helps somebody! Now to find out if they will let me AND my wife use it!
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:09 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
... Now to find out if they will let me AND my wife use it!
When you apply for a business card you agree to use it only for business purchases, but this is a formality required because the card has fewer consumer protections than do personal cards. American Express will not notice if you use the card for personal transactions. However, it is very expensive ($300) to add supplementary Platinum card to a Business Platinum account. You can add a supplementary Green card for free.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 11:49 am

I got the offer, too. Since Amex is getting smarter, they don't let you purchase cash equivalents or pre-paid card. How do we fulfill the 20k? Please help, thanks
Old Mar 19, 2016, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by haoxli
I got the offer, too. Since Amex is getting smarter, they don't let you purchase cash equivalents or pre-paid card. How do we fulfill the 20k? Please help, thanks
You can still purchase VGC's
Old Mar 19, 2016, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
You can still purchase VGC's
really? you tried?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.