Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Delta Skyclub-- no more free guests, effective 5.1.2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Skyclub-- no more free guests, effective 5.1.2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Originally Posted by aviators99
Quote:

Originally Posted by nall

I'm wondering if these clubs are large enough to accommodate all the people who will spill in from US/AA/DL clubs.

Don't forget CO...
I doubt they will be enough. But my point is that Amex is now in the business of competing with these clubs very strongly. It's not surprising to me that they are starting to play hardball.
Need to add, most of US airports are old and space it at a premium. Not sure what they can get at OHare airside. They got LGA and SFO though not sure where and if convenient to AA/US/UA passengers.

Some remodeled airports like Miami or LAX are so disconnected and that presents s challenge. Some have very big ties with a particular airline. Here AA "owns" concourse D and E. Doubt they will get access to build anywhere convenient to 75% of passengers , and soon.

And managing all of those Cent lounges will be very very expensive. But I give them the benefit of the doubt And again I point out that they are saving, for now, a ton of money in lounge access fees to AA ( UA is offset by the $200.00 credit)

Finally, Amex should go back and reinvent this card. This cant be a "mainly lounge benefit card" anymore.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:44 am

Lounge access (AA, US, DL) was the primary reason for keeping Plat. Recently, I did do Global Entry and the airline credit. So, I can see how these "saved" $ (though GE is not a recurring annual fee) does almost "pay for" the annual fee.

That said, the loss of lounge access (I frequently travel w/ spouse and kids) is the real hit for me that will likely have me dropping Plat.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Originally Posted by lacuadra
Need to add, most of US airports are old and space it at a premium. Not sure what they can get at OHare airside. They got LGA and SFO though not sure where and if convenient to AA/US/UA passengers.

Some remodeled airports like Miami or LAX are so disconnected and that presents s challenge. Some have very big ties with a particular airline. Here AA "owns" concourse D and E. Doubt they will get access to build anywhere convenient to 75% of passengers , and soon.

And managing all of those Cent lounges will be very very expensive. But I give them the benefit of the doubt And again I point out that they are saving, for now, a ton of money in lounge access fees to AA ( UA is offset by the $200.00 credit)

Finally, Amex should go back and reinvent this card. This cant be a "mainly lounge benefit card" anymore.
SFO will be at the UA domestic terminal. So AA/US/DL won't be able to utilize.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
So a couple of things, in no particular order:

1) I'm mostly an AA flyer, so the Amex Plat downgrade there really hurt me. When I fly Delta, it's 50/50 just me, but it's no more than a few times per year. Chances are, I'll downgrade the Amex Plat and use miles to buy an AA membership, no Executive Membership needed.

2) Is there any reason not to downgrade to the PRG, take whatever offer they are offering, use the first year free and then downgrade again to keep my MR intact?

3) I've seen several reports in both this thread and the Delta forum thread about all the screaming children running around in lounges. I may be lucky, but I can't think of a time that I ever saw a kid either yelling or running around in a club.

Mike
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by fishy21
SFO will be at the UA domestic terminal. So AA/US/DL won't be able to utilize.
SFO is the old Red Carpet lounge outside of security. It is accessible to anyone. Now how convenient of course depends on how much time you have. You can get across SFO pretty quickly by going down to the garage level and walking directly to whichever terminal you want. However for the average traveller it's not convenient. Even if on UA - unless they open the back door and put a screening person there the idea of hanging in the lounge until flight time is stressful.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:42 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mikeef
2) Is there any reason not to downgrade to the PRG, take whatever offer they are offering, use the first year free and then downgrade again to keep my MR intact?
If you "downgrade" your existing Platinum Card to Gold you will not be eligible for a one year fee waiver on the Gold card. If you apply for a new personal Gold card you will not be eligible for a bonus because you have had another charge card within the last 90 days.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by mia
If you "downgrade" your existing Platinum Card to Gold you will not be eligible for a one year fee waiver on the Gold card. If you apply for a new personal Gold card you will not be eligible for a bonus because you have had another charge card within the last 90 days.
I get them stopping people from switching in-between the regular and MB Plat, but really, if I have a Plat, and signup for a PRG, or vice versa -- no bonus?

So lame.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:29 pm
mia

Originally Posted by nall
... if I have a Plat, and signup for a PRG, or vice versa -- no bonus?
There is no substitute for reading the terms of a specific offer, but language similar to this has appeared in most offers for personal American Express charge cards for several months:

If you are identified as a current American Express® Card Member, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any other Consumer ZYNC®, Green or Gold Card or Platinum Card® account within the last 90 days.
This slightly different language has appears in business card offers:

Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any other Business Gold, Green or Platinum Card® within the last 12 months.
Bear in mind that "had" refers to holding a card account and does not refer to the application date. You must have cancelled the conflicting cards more than 90 days (or a year) prior to submitting a new application.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by mia
I was told that if I chose to "downgrade" to Gold my first year would be waived. Interesting.

If you look at the new pending changes with PLT then revisit Gold, then Gold looks better and better, but then so do mainstream bankcard offers.

Hmmm
Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:46 pm
mia

Originally Posted by edgewood49
I was told that if I chose to "downgrade" to Gold my first year would be waived.
Everything is negotiable, but typically new account perqs, such as fee waivers, don't apply when downgrading. American Express will automatically refund any unearned annual fee on the Platinum Card, and that amount might offset the Gold card's fee, but that's not a waiver.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Everything is negotiable, but typically new account perqs, such as fee waivers, don't apply when downgrading. American Express will automatically refund any unearned annual fee on the Platinum Card, and that amount might offset the Gold card's fee, but that's not a waiver.
True was just relaying a suggestion AMEX made to me. I do charge a lot monthly hence their various offers. I am waiting this out until I can see a clear direction of which way their heading with all of this.

I think most will agree there are many changes coming this year to travel, FF programs and how we "earn" those points. There is a "food fight" going on up here in the NW with AS and DL that's something ! CITI and AA/USAir are locked in sync as is UA and Chase.

So let the games begin!!
Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by edgewood49
So let the games begin!!
I wouldn't be so sure that the "games" will go in a direction that most FTers will be very a happy about.

There will a good deal of gnashing of teeth and tearing of clothes...

Regards
Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
I wouldn't be so sure that the "games" will go in a direction that most FTers will be very a happy about.

There will a good deal of gnashing of teeth and tearing of clothes...

Regards

"games" was a tongue & cheek comment Oh I agree this may not look good by year end. But it's been a great ride so far one has to admit. As one that has been traveling for business for 35 years I have seen most everything possible so far.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
I am curious regarding whether Amex had any role in this policy change or was it totally Delta. Did Amex try to reduce the amount they pay Delta per member/guest visit or did Delta try to increase it more than Amex was willing to pay.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Bonvoy, Virgin Atlantic FlyingClub, Hilton HHonors, World of Hyatt
Originally Posted by Armani
I am curious regarding whether Amex had any role in this policy change or was it totally Delta. Did Amex try to reduce the amount they pay Delta per member/guest visit or did Delta try to increase it more than Amex was willing to pay.
I got the impression from American Express that it was mostly Delta's decision. I was told that it was based on comments given to Delta from people that use the SkyClub. I think American Express basically had to accept that it was just the card holder that gets in for free now or loose it all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.