Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Earlier discussion is in this thread: Financial Review Discussion [2009-2013]

In the USA a Financial Review typically includes a request to submit an IRS form 4506-T which authorizes American Express to obtain a transcript of your Federal Income Tax Return for a specific year. It does not authorize a copy of the actual return. Download the form here: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

Order your own transcript here: https://sa2.www4.irs.gov/irfof-tra/start.do

Other USA-based rewards card issuers also audit accounts and end unsatisfactory relationships.

Bank of America: 2013

Citibank: 2013

JP Morgan Chase: 2013.1 2013.4 2013.9 2013.12
Print Wikipost

Financial Review discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:53 am

Anyone knows what would happen for the pending MRs if the accounts were closed due to FR? Is there anyway to redeem them after that?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by eclipsor
seems like a good way to avoid FR's is just doing small transactions right? like MSing in the $300-500 range at a time should be okay. Seems to be large 1k+ transactions that primarily draw attention .

Any DPs otherwise?
I wonder if this differs by whether or not a charge card is used or a credit card. For example, MSing $300-500 at a time on a weekly basis with a biz charge card is more/less likely to get attention if a personal credit card is used.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Just got hit with my first ever FR for AMEX BIZ Plat charges (although they froze all my other biz and personal cards that had balances on them).

On Biz plat we spend about 500k/year with 99% of charges never being above 5-10k. We had two large charges go through within minutes of each other that totaled just over 60k, which apparently triggered it.

I was asked for 2 months worth of bank statements from the business account. Once submitted, took them about 48 hours to clear it up. They did not ask for anything regarding my personal cards (or any documentation regarding the accounts that pays those bills).

Only thing that really bugged me was that we have about 10 employee cards (two who are currently traveling) and I didn't get a single call or email about the freeze. I had to find out from an employee who's card got declined, which is obviously a little embarrassing.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:10 pm

American Express is either quite good or absolutely awful to deal with. Even a suspected fraud block gets YOU treated like a criminal.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dsm2m2
Only thing that really bugged me was that we have about 10 employee cards (two who are currently traveling) and I didn't get a single call or email about the freeze. I had to find out from an employee who's card got declined, which is obviously a little embarrassing.
What a disappointing way for a company to do business... More and more lately it seems they can't be trusted. I can't imagine any executive at American Express would feel differently when presented with these facts. Would you consider moving your business elsewhere? We can only speak with our wallets when companies behave like this, and even that often isn't enough to create change.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Jarrett
What a disappointing way for a company to do business... More and more lately it seems they can't be trusted. I can't imagine any executive at American Express would feel differently when presented with these facts. Would you consider moving your business elsewhere? We can only speak with our wallets when companies behave like this, and even that often isn't enough to create change.
American Express recently has really gone downhill. At a time when they're losing partnerships they're responding by treating their customers as if their custom is worth nothing to them?!?!?!
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:28 am

Please help

Just got slapped with a fr for spending 20k in 2 months to try and hit a 100k bonus for biz platinum I have never filed taxes neither personal nor income am I screwed? Also would it be possible to stall them until the statement closes and get the bonus?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Juda Cohen
Just got slapped with a fr for spending 20k in 2 months to try and hit a 100k bonus for biz platinum I have never filed taxes neither personal nor income am I screwed? Also would it be possible to stall them until the statement closes and get the bonus?
Then how do you report your stated income on the card application? US taxation law requires reporting any income above a certain threshold which obviously is way way below what AMEX considers worthy for getting its cards, let alone a biz plat card...

If you could provide AMEX some financial documentations showing you own boatload of liquid assets, then you should be off the hook although it may take some back and forth to get them accept alternative documents. Else, yeah, you know the answer.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Happy
Then how do you report your stated income on the card application? ..
There was a teenager on Dan's Deals who had a similar problem last year, couldn't produce a return because s/he was still a dependent on the parents return.

Not saying this is OPs case, but circumstances sound the same.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
Amex gives me a confortable credit, some month above 20k spending, no issue, but every time I call to check if a large transaction will be accepted, some 20k or above, they tell me that my limit is somewhere like 8k left even if I am at the beginning of the month...

Are they artificially lowering my limit when they know I want to buy something very expensive?

Will pay with a debit card at the end and miss the points and amex the transaction fee as I can't wait on this particular transaction until they receive the transfer for a prepayment

I have had the card for 4 years and always paid on time
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:43 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by pvgman
Amex gives me a confortable credit, ...
What type of American Express card are you using, in which country is it issued? What type of merchant is the large transaction that cannot be delayed?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:59 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by pvgman
Amex gives me a confortable credit, some month above 20k spending, no issue, but every time I call to check if a large transaction will be accepted, some 20k or above, they tell me that my limit is somewhere like 8k left even if I am at the beginning of the month...

Are they artificially lowering my limit when they know I want to buy something very expensive?

Will pay with a debit card at the end and miss the points and amex the transaction fee as I can't wait on this particular transaction until they receive the transfer for a prepayment

I have had the card for 4 years and always paid on time
Why are you being so scared? If you have been a good customer, and always pay on time just do the transaction. Chances are, it will go through. If not, call and in the affirmative question why it was not approved. (Chances are they would make an exception). Once again, why are you so scared.

In my market, they say the maximum exposure without additional financials is €50k, they will allow you to go over that by close to 2x++. It's all based on your profile and past purchases and ability to pay. But, once again, you are the customer. You are making a purchase. AMEX is in business to approve financially sound purchases. Stop being scared. Act in the affirmative. What do you have to lose?
Old May 25, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: DL DI AA LTPL MAR LTPL HY GL
3rd time going through FR in.... 8 years of my relationship with them.
Nothing unusual but high $ credit line with them - this is what they say every single time when they do FR on me and I ask why.
I always send the form back asap and usually in a week or a week and a half, everything is back to normal.

if anybody has questions about FR, feel free to ask
Old May 25, 2018, 9:58 am

What was your stated income and how much was your total credit line? Did the reviews occur when you had high balance? Biz or personal? Was it charge card or credit card? Just trying to get some data points.
Thx

Originally Posted by clockhand
3rd time going through FR in.... 8 years of my relationship with them.

Nothing unusual but high $ credit line with them - this is what they say every single time when they do FR on me and I ask why.
I always send the form back asap and usually in a week or a week and a half, everything is back to normal.

if anybody has questions about FR, feel free to ask
Old May 25, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: DL DI AA LTPL MAR LTPL HY GL
Originally Posted by globaltrotter
What was your stated income and how much was your total credit line? Did the reviews occur when you had high balance? Biz or personal? Was it charge card or credit card? Just trying to get some data points.
Thx

High 6-figures. Time to time I do have statements closed with ~$100k balance. Never carried any balance in my history. Mix of charge and credit cards. Both biz and personal.
This particular time - I actually don't even have 10k balance combined.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.