Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Earlier discussion is in this thread: Financial Review Discussion [2009-2013]

In the USA a Financial Review typically includes a request to submit an IRS form 4506-T which authorizes American Express to obtain a transcript of your Federal Income Tax Return for a specific year. It does not authorize a copy of the actual return. Download the form here: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

Order your own transcript here: https://sa2.www4.irs.gov/irfof-tra/start.do

Other USA-based rewards card issuers also audit accounts and end unsatisfactory relationships.

Bank of America: 2013

Citibank: 2013

JP Morgan Chase: 2013.1 2013.4 2013.9 2013.12
Print Wikipost

Financial Review discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 12:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by silver02accord
They asked 4 questions in regards to money orders, currency exchange etc.
Sounds like this process, not a Financial Review:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...its-money.html
Old May 3, 2017, 3:58 pm

seems like a good way to avoid FR's is just doing small transactions right? like MSing in the $300-500 range at a time should be okay. Seems to be large 1k+ transactions that primarily draw attention .

Any DPs otherwise?
Old May 3, 2017, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by eclipsor
seems like a good way to avoid FR's is just doing small transactions right? like MSing in the $300-500 range at a time should be okay. Seems to be large 1k+ transactions that primarily draw attention.
Not necessarily. MSing may or may not trigger a FR. Those who do not MS may get an FR...many factors come into play: income, balance, history, etc. MSing increases the likelihood of a FR.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:20 am

AXP seems to REALLY want me to accept the invitation for a line increase on one of the cards. There have been multiple emails and pop-ups on the site when I go to the card, and now I even have a mailed invitation. It claims no credit pull and that the offer is based upon past history.

The question lingering in the back of my mind is whether this is something apt to trigger an FR. It isn't that the FR overly concerns me but rather the inconvenience of the card being shut down while I am traveling...

So...recent experiences in this regard?
Old May 10, 2017, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by michelle227
AXP seems to REALLY want me to accept the invitation for a line increase on one of the cards. There have been multiple emails and pop-ups on the site when I go to the card, and now I even have a mailed invitation. It claims no credit pull and that the offer is based upon past history.

The question lingering in the back of my mind is whether this is something apt to trigger an FR. It isn't that the FR overly concerns me but rather the inconvenience of the card being shut down while I am traveling...

So...recent experiences in this regard?
doubt it would

you have a backup card while traveling anyways, right?
Old May 10, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Troopers
Not necessarily. MSing may or may not trigger a FR. Those who do not MS may get an FR...many factors come into play: income, balance, history, etc. MSing increases the likelihood of a FR.
I posted on this thread about the random FR I had a couple of years ago, which felt completely random as I didn't think any of my activity had been out of the ordinary given the history of my Amex accounts (with the first one being the green card back in 1986).

It was quite the low impact event for me. Maybe I got picked at random, who knows. I didn't ask, as they wouldn't have told me anyway.
Old May 10, 2017, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by mysterym
doubt it would

you have a backup card while traveling anyways, right?
I've got back-ups, but rooms are guaranteed with AXP...some partial pay and others fully paid. So, for the pending travel, loss of AXP would be more than just a minor annoyance...
Old May 10, 2017, 1:35 pm

I've got back-ups, but rooms are guaranteed with AXP...some partial pay and others fully paid. So, for the pending travel, loss of AXP would be more than just a minor annoyance...
so just wait to execute the increase until you return if you are worried/
Old May 10, 2017, 4:36 pm
mia

AXP seems to REALLY want me to accept the invitation for a line increase...
Ignore it the same as any other marketing.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by eclipsor
seems like a good way to avoid FR's is just doing small transactions right? like MSing in the $300-500 range at a time should be okay. Seems to be large 1k+ transactions that primarily draw attention .

Any DPs otherwise?
I normally don't have anything big on my Amexes. Occasionally a charge for a couple thousand for a new TV or expensive plane ticket or something like that. But 95% of my charges are far more mundane...less than $500.

Recently put a single charge over $30k on a card. Statement came, paid it off, went about my day. So...it's very possible to make larger charges and even extreme outlier charges without triggering a FR.

Now that I've said that I'll probably get a call tomorrow...
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Any DP on whether sign up bonus (with minimum spend met just before FR) posts normally during FR?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:42 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Not under FR, but out of curiosity:

How does Amex handle foreign income or expats during a financial review?
English bank statements wouldn't be a problem, but paystubs would be in a foreign language.

Would they just go by what I file in my US tax return, even if all the income was from foreign sources?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by moe8555
Not under FR, but out of curiosity:

How does Amex handle foreign income or expats during a financial review?
English bank statements wouldn't be a problem, but paystubs would be in a foreign language.

Would they just go by what I file in my US tax return, even if all the income was from foreign sources?
I would imagine that if Amex cared enough about those details for a given case, they could get foreign statements/payslips translated.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:02 am
mia

Originally Posted by moe8555
Typically, American Express (USA) does not request those types of documents, they require a transcript of your USA personal income tax return, see IRS form 4056-T.

We don't have many (any?) reports from individuals who are not USA taxpayers.

Last edited by mia; Aug 2, 2017 at 7:37 am
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by mia
Typically, American Express (USA) does not request those types of documents, they require a transcript of your USA personal income tax return, see IRS form 4056-T.

We don't have many (any?) reports from individuals who are not USA taxpayers.
Well, I am a U.S. citizen/person that is obligated to file U.S. federal income taxes. It just so happens that my income and residence is abroad, so I end up not owing any taxes due to the foreign earned income exemption. But I do have to file!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.