Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Earlier discussion is in this thread: Financial Review Discussion [2009-2013]

In the USA a Financial Review typically includes a request to submit an IRS form 4506-T which authorizes American Express to obtain a transcript of your Federal Income Tax Return for a specific year. It does not authorize a copy of the actual return. Download the form here: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

Order your own transcript here: https://sa2.www4.irs.gov/irfof-tra/start.do

Other USA-based rewards card issuers also audit accounts and end unsatisfactory relationships.

Bank of America: 2013

Citibank: 2013

JP Morgan Chase: 2013.1 2013.4 2013.9 2013.12
Print Wikipost

Financial Review discussion

Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by 2B or back in coach
Can you explain "hard cap"?
Hard cap=total exposure to amex on the charge card product. No "unlimited spend". Example. 10,000 hard cap would include current charges and a amount owed from previous statement if not paid.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:38 pm

Can you explain "hard cap"?
Pre-set spending limit.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:52 am

Hi,

I'm interested in buying 5k of Amex gift cards a month with my SPG card (and my husband's), and not much else. Have not used them much except to buy points periodically by using them to pay a portion of my husband's quarterly taxes. Credit line for both $35,000. My income is over $100,000 - was honest on app - and our household income including my husband's is significantly more.

Is $5k a month aggressive, particularly if I don't buy anything else with it? They will obviously see what I am doing. Or ok given our income? Also assuming it's OK do I need to build up to this amount? Many thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:44 am

Programs: DL DM-1MM HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sfmom
Hi,

I'm interested in buying 5k of Amex gift cards a month with my SPG card (and my husband's), and not much else. Have not used them much except to buy points periodically by using them to pay a portion of my husband's quarterly taxes. Credit line for both $35,000. My income is over $100,000 - was honest on app - and our household income including my husband's is significantly more.

Is $5k a month aggressive, particularly if I don't buy anything else with it? They will obviously see what I am doing. Or ok given our income? Also assuming it's OK do I need to build up to this amount? Many thanks!
$5k per month, is not aggressive. Go for it!^^^
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:01 am

$5k per month, is not aggressive. Go for it!^^^
Thanks! Fingers crossed.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:50 pm

Hi,

i want to keep my PRG for second year and i want to hit the 30k spend this year to take advantage of the 15k bonus points( would offset the $175 annual fee somewhat)

I have done around 5k this year so far on my PRG, is it too aggressive to aim for 25k in next 9 months? i don't want to deal with FR or any other complications....the 25k would come from regular spend+pharma+grocery MS

Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2014, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by ranjanrocks
Hi,

i want to keep my PRG for second year and i want to hit the 30k spend this year to take advantage of the 15k bonus points( would offset the $175 annual fee somewhat)

I have done around 5k this year so far on my PRG, is it too aggressive to aim for 25k in next 9 months? i don't want to deal with FR or any other complications....the 25k would come from regular spend+pharma+grocery MS

Thanks!
Very YMMV situation. Really depends on your credit profile and relationship with Amex. I did 25K in a month and had no issues.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:02 pm

Has anyone gotten a Financial Review for April 2014? This is a really bad month as they still want 2012 tax info which is pretty stale at this point.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
Is it foolish to buy a $1400 plane ticket a day after you opened a Platinum card? Is that just asking for a FR, even though I have been waiting to buy this ticket to put on my new card? All this FR stuff is getting me freaked out.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:55 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AJCU
Is it foolish to buy a $1400 plane ticket a day after you opened a Platinum card? Is that just asking for a FR, even though I have been waiting to buy this ticket to put on my new card? All this FR stuff is getting me freaked out.
I wouldn't say that would be a trigger, the card is by design a travel card. The trigger point seems to be manufactured spending abuses.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
Originally Posted by danville 1K
I wouldn't say that would be a trigger, the card is by design a travel card. The trigger point seems to be manufactured spending abuses.
Any sense to call it in and tell them?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
All this FR stuff is getting me freaked out.
Relax. A small number of American Express customers experience a Financial Review, but others don't start a thread to tell you that something has not happened. Buy the airline ticket.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:50 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by danville 1K
Any sense to call it in and tell them?
None that I can see. Its just a charge like any other travel related charge.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:52 pm

Let me get this straight.... FR comes usually when AMEX feels you "can't pay your bills." Does that mean if you spend, over all your AMEX cards, more than your annual income reported on your credit card, they will do a FR? Does this mean you should not spend more than your annual income? Or that if they find out you're spending more than you earn, they will shut you down? People have money besides what they earn annually. For all they know people could have a trust fund or have other people supporting them. Does this mean you should not spend more than your annual income with them? Just wondering from a MS standpoint because I can technically "spend" more than I earn, but if it'll get me shut down, I will not do it.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:58 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by maddie5218
...People have money besides what they earn annually. For all they know people could have ...
American Express compares the amount you are spending to your known financial resources. (They know more about us than we tell them.) If it appears you are spending at a risky rate they will ask you to complete an IRS form 4506-T (see the Wikipost). If the form substantiates that you have sufficient income there will be no problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.