Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Earlier discussion is in this thread: Financial Review Discussion [2009-2013]

In the USA a Financial Review typically includes a request to submit an IRS form 4506-T which authorizes American Express to obtain a transcript of your Federal Income Tax Return for a specific year. It does not authorize a copy of the actual return. Download the form here: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

Order your own transcript here: https://sa2.www4.irs.gov/irfof-tra/start.do

Other USA-based rewards card issuers also audit accounts and end unsatisfactory relationships.

Bank of America: 2013

Citibank: 2013

JP Morgan Chase: 2013.1 2013.4 2013.9 2013.12
Print Wikipost

Financial Review discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
yes i do
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:27 pm

Hello,

First off, I am a non-resident alien and applied 08/01/2019 and got approved at the same date for the Bluecash Everyday and The Platinum Card cards from American Express, just using my credit score built with my Bank of America credit card and my foreign passport number (I don't have Social Security Number).

Because of the welcome bonus, I concentrated all my expenses on my The Platinum Card credit card.

In the first month I had no expense and the bill only closed at $ 550. The second bill, however, I started using the card daily for my expenses, but when I reached about $ 4000 in spending, my account was submitted to the Financial Review.

I got a call from American Express and couldn't answer it. Then I verified that my account was charging suspended. I called the number indicated at my account and spoke to the analyst in charge of my account. After reporting my professional and income data (about $ 80,000 annually), she requested me a Tax Form issued by US. I said that I would not have such a document, but only Brazilian tax documents, as I declare my income in Brazil and receive my salary in Brazil. As I told before, I am a non-resident alien and I applied and got approved as a non-resident alien, just by giving them my foreign passport number, where they checked my credit history (Fico Score).
Then she told me she could do nothing and that in 14 days she would close my account.
Does anyone of you have any ideas that might help me?
I have a bank of america account, bank of america credit card, brazilian Amex TPC (which expenses are a lot higher than what I spent on US American Express).
I want to call the analyst and explain the situation again to see if I can reverse the situation. Otherwise, I will lose my account and cards.

I am also prohibited by US Laws from filing a US Tax Form (obviously).
Any idea?
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by wowzera
Hello,

First off, I am a non-resident alien and applied 08/01/2019 and got approved at the same date for the Bluecash Everyday and The Platinum Card cards from American Express, just using my credit score built with my Bank of America credit card and my foreign passport number (I don't have Social Security Number).

Because of the welcome bonus, I concentrated all my expenses on my The Platinum Card credit card.

In the first month I had no expense and the bill only closed at $ 550. The second bill, however, I started using the card daily for my expenses, but when I reached about $ 4000 in spending, my account was submitted to the Financial Review.

I got a call from American Express and couldn't answer it. Then I verified that my account was charging suspended. I called the number indicated at my account and spoke to the analyst in charge of my account. After reporting my professional and income data (about $ 80,000 annually), she requested me a Tax Form issued by US. I said that I would not have such a document, but only Brazilian tax documents, as I declare my income in Brazil and receive my salary in Brazil. As I told before, I am a non-resident alien and I applied and got approved as a non-resident alien, just by giving them my foreign passport number, where they checked my credit history (Fico Score).
Then she told me she could do nothing and that in 14 days she would close my account.
Does anyone of you have any ideas that might help me?
I have a bank of america account, bank of america credit card, brazilian Amex TPC (which expenses are a lot higher than what I spent on US American Express).
I want to call the analyst and explain the situation again to see if I can reverse the situation. Otherwise, I will lose my account and cards.

I am also prohibited by US Laws from filing a US Tax Form (obviously).
Any idea?
Are you employed in the US? Can you provide a pay stub and a letter from your employer? Do you have a US bank account? If you have all those documents, I would fax those along with a letter explaining your situation.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by SteveT
Are you employed in the US? Can you provide a pay stub and a letter from your employer? Do you have a US bank account? If you have all those documents, I would fax those along with a letter explaining your situation.
No, I am not employed in the US and neither can provide a pay stub issued in the United States.
I do have a Bank of America account since July/2018 (saving and checking account). That may be a good idea sending them a letter explaining everything and sending my bank statements held with Bank of America. I will try contact the account manager today and see if it can helps. Thanks for your suggestion.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 12:18 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If you do not live or work in the USA you might consider applying for an International Dollar Card which is designed specifically for people who spend in USD but live elsewhere:

https://www.americanexpress.com/laci...ds/index.shtml
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Question here -

If I charge large business related expenses (ie. large server costs for startup) but pay the charges off the same day on the charge card it should prevent financial review right?
Since Amex Bank bears no risk of default?
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:57 am
mia

Originally Posted by zhan
If I charge large business related expenses....
1. Which type of card do you plan to use, a charge card or a credit card?

2. If it is a charge card the transaction may not be approved if it doesn't fit your previous usage pattern or is out of proportion to the personal income that you disclosed on the card application.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Its a morgan stanley platinum charge card.
I used the spend power calculator and they approve the $50000.00 which i need to charge a few times a month.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:06 pm
mia

If you have not previously made charges of that magnitude I would call in advance, rather than rely on the calculator.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: United 1P
I could not provide enough financial evidence after a financial review six and half years ago, so Amex closed all my accounts. When can I apply for new cards? Unfortunately, my financial condition has not improved much in the past, but I am not looking at applying for high end card, but something like Hilton no-fee card. Thank you!

Last edited by kgkg; Sep 9, 2019 at 8:35 pm
Old Oct 1, 2019, 12:21 pm

Advice

Looking for some advice. AMEX are performing a financial review of my charge card account. They have asked for payslips and bank statements.

My payslips will show show that I declared my income accurately. However, my bank statements will show that I have often used the card to purchase an item and then had the refund put onto my debit card (in effect generating a cash advance). I have also often booked refundable hotel rooms and then cancelled them so that my bill is paid without me having to put in additional money.

I have now used cash to bring my balance to 0, however AMEX will not look favourably on me generating cash advances or booking refundable hotel rooms.

Is is there anyway that I pass the financial review? Or should I voluntarily cancel my account now?

Any thoughts/advice welcome
Old Oct 1, 2019, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Besmirched
Looking for some advice. AMEX are performing a financial review of my charge card account. They have asked for payslips and bank statements.

My payslips will show show that I declared my income accurately. However, my bank statements will show that I have often used the card to purchase an item and then had the refund put onto my debit card (in effect generating a cash advance). I have also often booked refundable hotel rooms and then cancelled them so that my bill is paid without me having to put in additional money.

I have now used cash to bring my balance to 0, however AMEX will not look favourably on me generating cash advances or booking refundable hotel rooms.

Is is there anyway that I pass the financial review? Or should I voluntarily cancel my account now?

Any thoughts/advice welcome
Given AMEX's recent aggressive push against MS and people it sees as "gaming" their rewards system, this probably won't look good to them.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by CountZero
Given AMEX's recent aggressive push against MS and people it sees as "gaming" their rewards system, this probably won't look good to them.
Do you think that I’m therefore better off just cancelling my card now? Ideally I’d like to keep the card, even if they put a very low credit limit on it.

Do you think there’s any chance I could convince them to do this or is it game over?
Old Oct 1, 2019, 1:36 pm
mia

Financial Reviews are primarily about ability to pay. Other teams look at rewards abuse. Based on the information requested, this sounds to be a Financial Review, but I expect the case could be referred to a Rewards analyst if they notice the patterns that you mentioned. I would wait it out.

What would be the benefit of closing now?
Old Oct 1, 2019, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Financial Reviews are primarily about ability to pay. Other teams look at rewards abuse. Based on the information requested, this sounds to be a Financial Review, but I expect the case could be referred to a Rewards analyst if they notice the patterns that you mentioned. I would wait it out.

What would be the benefit of closing now?
The benefit would be not having to have a conversation with them about why I did what I did. I’d be in a position where I either admitted to breaching the terms and conditions or trying to construct an unconvincing lie.

They have definitely said that this is a financial review, and their concern is the refundable hotel rooms. I think they are concerned that I’m effectively using the card as an interest free loan and the balance has gone up recently. My hope is that if I pay the account down to 0 with cash then they can’t have any concerns about whether I can pay off the balance and will just remind me about the terms and conditions but otherwise let me get on with things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.