Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Earlier discussion is in this thread: Financial Review Discussion [2009-2013]

In the USA a Financial Review typically includes a request to submit an IRS form 4506-T which authorizes American Express to obtain a transcript of your Federal Income Tax Return for a specific year. It does not authorize a copy of the actual return. Download the form here: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

Order your own transcript here: https://sa2.www4.irs.gov/irfof-tra/start.do

Other USA-based rewards card issuers also audit accounts and end unsatisfactory relationships.

Bank of America: 2013

Citibank: 2013

JP Morgan Chase: 2013.1 2013.4 2013.9 2013.12
Print Wikipost

Financial Review discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jwithers619
...but does anyone know what's going on and/or have any advice? Thanks in advance!

Yes, you got caught with your hand in the cookie jar. That is what's going on.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
In other words...your VGC spending activity is frowned upon by Amex. Is the total spend appropriate with your stated income(s)?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
This is called a Financial Review. Scroll back to read other experiences and opinions.

American Express is more interested in the amount you are spending than what you are buying, but they do regard gift cards as an increased credit risk because they are easily convertible to cash.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Not sure what this means, exactly. Whether I spend my money on groceries, entertainment, bills, or VGCs, is really a matter of personal choice.

And yes, my income supports the amount of spend on the card.

Thanks for those who pointed me to the FR process. Hopefully this will just blow over.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Not sure what this means, exactly. Whether I spend my money on groceries, entertainment, bills, or VGCs, is really a matter of personal choice.
Opening up a bunch of cards and simply meeting spend by going out and buying a whole bunch of VGC's is not going to endear yourself to any major bank. Even if you survive the FR by AMEX, take this to heart.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 2:18 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... Hopefully this will just blow over.
If you do not submit the 4506-T by the deadline they will close the accounts.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 2:56 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K

And yes, my income supports the amount of spend on the card.

Thanks for those who pointed me to the FR process. Hopefully this will just blow over.
The problem is that buying large amounts of vgcs is in and of itself, suspicious to banks and retailers. For all they know, you're using the credit card as an ATM (I'm not at all saying you are doing so). So many times when they see large amounts of gift cards being purchased, they take a closer look. Hence the financial review.

There are also money laundering issues with it.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Virgin America Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by United747
The problem is that buying large amounts of vgcs is in and of itself, suspicious to banks and retailers. For all they know, you're using the credit card as an ATM (I'm not at all saying you are doing so). So many times when they see large amounts of gift cards being purchased, they take a closer look. Hence the financial review.

There are also money laundering issues with it.
Sorry, but I disagree. There is no money laundering issue with buying gift cards. Amex may not like it (and I tend to think that this person's FR was, as Mia suggested, due to the amount spent and not that he bought gift cards), but it's nothing at all related to money laundering.

As an aside, I purchased several thousand Amex gift cards from them to meet spend on my Platinum card and they had no issue whatsoever with the purchase.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Irish80
Sorry, but I disagree. There is no money laundering issue with buying gift cards. Amex may not like it (and I tend to think that this person's FR was, as Mia suggested, due to the amount spent and not that he bought gift cards), but it's nothing at all related to money laundering.

As an aside, I purchased several thousand Amex gift cards from them to meet spend on my Platinum card and they had no issue whatsoever with the purchase.
I agree there is no money laundering for gift cards bought with credit cards. Money laundering would be more apt if someone bought VGC's with a stack of hundreds (from any sort of illegal business like drugs) and then loaded the VGC's onto their Serve, and then sent that money back to a bank account of some kind.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 4:07 pm

And it's not as if I haven't paid the previous Amex bills, so Amex *should* know that I can afford this level of spend (if only they knew how much MORE I spend on my Chase cards...or do they?)
Old Apr 6, 2016, 4:14 pm

Whether I spend my money on groceries, entertainment, bills, or VGCs, is really a matter of personal choice.
It's not your money, it's on advanced credit granted by Amex. If they don't like how you use the credit, they will take it away.

And it's not as if I haven't paid the previous Amex bills, so Amex *should* know that I can afford this level of spend (if only they knew how much MORE I spend on my Chase cards...or do they?)
Doesn't matter...it's not you; it's not personal.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by Irish80
I can tell you from knowledge of AmEx's compliance strategies around money laundering, that gift cards *are* a matter of significant concern for them (and other credit card issuers, not to mention the U.S. Treasury Department), as there *is* enhanced regulatory enforcement risk when gift cards that are directly exchangeable for cash are involved.

Does that mean that everyone is going to get FR'ed just by doing gift card purchases? No. But it makes it somewhat more likely that they're going to scrutinize that person's transactions.

Greg
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:14 pm
Suspended

There's a plain money-laundering risk with gift cards: Person A buys gift cards on credit and then sells them for cash to (criminal) Person B.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Virgin America Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by greg99
I can tell you from knowledge of AmEx's compliance strategies around money laundering, that gift cards *are* a matter of significant concern for them (and other credit card issuers, not to mention the U.S. Treasury Department), as there *is* enhanced regulatory enforcement risk when gift cards that are directly exchangeable for cash are involved.

Does that mean that everyone is going to get FR'ed just by doing gift card purchases? No. But it makes it somewhat more likely that they're going to scrutinize that person's transactions.

Greg
I'm sorry but I disagree that Amex is that concerned with gift card purchases because of money laundering. They push them all the time and they are one (or were) one of the biggest sellers of gift cards in the industry and clearly allow the purchase of large dollar amounts of their gift cards with credit cards, including their own credit cards. If it was so much of a concern for them then they wouldnt allow their own cards to purchase the gift cards from their site. The purchase of gift cards is not now nor ever has been money laundering. Far too many people push that notion and its just not true. Real money launderers would laugh at the notion. Money launderers 'launder' their money by funneling illegally obtained cash into legitimate businesses and other sources to hide that cash. They certainly don't use credit cards to do so.

The reason that Amex and other CC companies are concerned about the amount of gift card purchases is the amount of rewards that they give out for the credit cards being used. That's why they would ever scrutinize the purchases, not money laundering.

Last edited by Irish80; Apr 6, 2016 at 8:01 pm
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Amex probably doesn't mind direct sales of its own gift cards because it knows its own gift cards are far less easily convertible to cash, especially for purposes of manufactured spending.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.