Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014] (2013 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Infinite1K
FAQ
Q: Where is the lounge?
A: Terminal 3, F concourse, right by Gate F2 (formerly gate 75) and the F-1 security checkpoint (that has PreCheck, sometimes).

Q: Can I visit there if I'm departing from another terminal?
A: Absolutely. Security at SFO will let passengers departing from any concourse at SFO go through security in any concourse, even ones that aren't connected behind security. At the moment, Terminal 3 concourses E and F, and International Terminal concourse G are connected airside to the Centurion lounge. Some other concourses are connected to each other airside, but not to the point that you can walk airside to the Centurion. However, with a PreCheck security lane right next to the entrance to the lounge, it can be quite easy to clear security twice if necessary.

Q: Can I visit if I'm arriving at SFO?
A: It depends. If you're arriving in the aforementioned concourses E, F, or G, then yes, but only if you have a connecting flight. If you're arriving in one of the other concourses, then security at SFO won't let you clear into E, F, or G without a boarding pass departing SFO that day. If you're arriving internationally, again, you'd need a same-day SFO departing boarding pass to clear security.

Wines by electronic pour
What have you found?
  • Add wine and date please
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014] (2013 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Visconti
1 AM flight, easier to head the SFO after dinner, and get some stuff done. As opposed to waiting around & leaving later--personal preference. Not that this matters, any insights on my question? If not, that's ok too.
If you’re leaving at 1:00 am, the Polaris is the obvious choice, since the Centurion closes at 11:00 pm.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Polaris lounge space is beautiful, and it's large and uncrowded, but the food options don't quite live up the space's promise. I find the food in CX lounge much better, though the space itself is not as nice. If you want to eat late, CX will be the better option, as they cater for the two late night departures, whereas UA mostly shuts down the food for the SQ and BR departures.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Zorak
That's "half the gates in the international terminal". Terminal 3 (UA) and international-G (mostly or entirely *A) are connected airside. The gates that aren't connected airside (currently) are in international-A terminal including other international flights and a few misc. domestic including jetBlue and Hawaiian and Sun Country.
I would think that the usage from those in Terminal 3 and International G would be higher considering those terminals are used by Star Alliance partners, and there is likely to be a higher percentage of connecting traffic who might want to use a lounge. Also, I imagine that fewer people would want to transit security twice.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Does anyone know why the food in this lounge has gone from great a few years ago to unbelievably awful? I remember french bread salami sandwiches. Roasted pork. Short Ribs. Excellent vegetables. Avocado toast.

Now the menu never seems to change. Gag inducing undercooked vegetables with no seasoning. Salads with dressings that are simply revolting and make you think you're in the twilight zone that there's a trained chef anywhere that went with that. The chicken tastes like it went bad before cooking, preparation is flavorless anyway and gross. French Toast in the morning basically just dry brioche with a slapdash coat of dredge. Amex lounge food is often sadly mediocre these days but at least they usually make decent roasted vegetables.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:55 am
Suspended

This is the first complaint I can recall re: food quality at SFO. Not sure if they moved away from it, but the saffron chicken I had on several visits there late last year was among the best chicken I've ever had — and I've eaten a lot of chicken.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by joe_miami
This is the first complaint I can recall re: food quality at SFO. Not sure if they moved away from it, but the saffron chicken I had on several visits there late last year was among the best chicken I've ever had — and I've eaten a lot of chicken.
Unfortunately that's gone, replaced with fennel crusted chicken which is not nearly as good. For quite some time now, there has been only one protein option, which is a definite cut-back.

I think they're overwhelmed by the crowds and the cost is undoubtedly an issue. It's still way better than the UC.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:09 pm

I don't know if this is new or not but I just updated the Amex app on iOS and now you can "Begin Lounge Check-in" with a 30min window. I don't understand what this is for because it states "this check-in code does not guarantee entry"

Also they removed the removed SF Giants Clubhouse and Yankee Pier from within the app.

Last edited by cuthroat; Jun 6, 2019 at 7:15 pm
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cuthroat
I don't know if this is new or not but I just updated the Amex app on iOS and now you can "Begin Lounge Check-in" with a 30min window. I don't understand what this is for because it states "this check-in code does not guarantee entry"
Where is this? I don't see it on my account - under Membership?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by icelandman2
Where is this? I don't see it on my account - under Membership?
Membership, Find a lounge, I put in SFO.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by cuthroat
Membership, Find a lounge, I put in SFO.
Yikes - now I see it as well for SFO. Hopefully this is just to make check-in faster. I'd be pretty frustrated if they further restrict CL access, particularly given the HUGE loss of PP restaurants at SFO come August
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:16 pm
Suspended

That's a great feature, assuming it means we won't have to hand over our ID, Plat card, and/or boarding pass at the desk.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by icelandman2
Yikes - now I see it as well for SFO. Hopefully this is just to make check-in faster. I'd be pretty frustrated if they further restrict CL access, particularly given the HUGE loss of PP restaurants at SFO come August
Further restrictions could be coming, but I don't see how this feature would be used to restrict access further. The capacity is the capacity.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:17 pm

That's a great feature, assuming it means we won't have to hand over our ID, Plat card, and/or boarding pass at the desk.
On the app, it says you will still need (at least) ID and BP. No mention of Plat on the splash, but the T&C still say that.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:20 pm
Suspended

I don't see the point, then, except possibly to jump ahead of non-app-users at high-traffic lounges, which wouldn't seem smart or fair on Amex's end.
icelandman2 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:22 pm

I don't see the point, then, except possibly to jump ahead of non-app-users at high-traffic lounges, which wouldn't seem smart or fair on Amex's end.
Hopeful this is the case! Reading Amex's investor docs, they are trying to make a big push for more folks to use the app, so this could be a part of that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.