Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014] (2013 - 2021)

Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Infinite1K
FAQ
Q: Where is the lounge?
A: Terminal 3, F concourse, right by Gate F2 (formerly gate 75) and the F-1 security checkpoint (that has PreCheck, sometimes).

Q: Can I visit there if I'm departing from another terminal?
A: Absolutely. Security at SFO will let passengers departing from any concourse at SFO go through security in any concourse, even ones that aren't connected behind security. At the moment, Terminal 3 concourses E and F, and International Terminal concourse G are connected airside to the Centurion lounge. Some other concourses are connected to each other airside, but not to the point that you can walk airside to the Centurion. However, with a PreCheck security lane right next to the entrance to the lounge, it can be quite easy to clear security twice if necessary.

Q: Can I visit if I'm arriving at SFO?
A: It depends. If you're arriving in the aforementioned concourses E, F, or G, then yes, but only if you have a connecting flight. If you're arriving in one of the other concourses, then security at SFO won't let you clear into E, F, or G without a boarding pass departing SFO that day. If you're arriving internationally, again, you'd need a same-day SFO departing boarding pass to clear security.

Wines by electronic pour
What have you found?
  • Add wine and date please
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014] (2013 - 2021)

Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Kacee
I was here Friday night and it was the usual standing room only chaos.

They seem to have downgraded the hot food selection, now offering only one protein. It was some kind of bone in chicken that looked like way too much work for a lounge setting.
I was there Friday night as well. Did my usual grab a bite then head to the rotunda UC. The check in agent mentioned "Fridays are bad".
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Only one drink per visit to the bar at SFO?

First visit to the SFO lounge on Sunday with my g/f. She trundles off to the bar to get us each a glass of Sauvignon Blanc but is rebuffed by the bar staff and told that it's one drink per person per visit to the bar - so she has to make two trips. I go to get the next round and I am told the same, and when I ask why I am told that the staff don't make the rules but they have them drummed into them when they are hired. The lounge Reception staff tell me it's because they wish to limit the number of drinks leaving the bar and because American Express is liable if a passenger misses a flight due to being intoxicated. Now I call BS to all of this and so wonder if anyone knows the real reasons why?

Of course, we could both have gone to the bar but that means leaving our seats and bags unattended and hence is a security risk (probably small, admittedly). The alternative is to leave the second drink at the bar (as the staff will pour multiple drinks at the same time) but that has the risk of someone spiking it or it being otherwise adulterated (again, a small risk but having had my drink spiked before it is not something I wish to experience again).

Given that there's no real limit to how many times you can be served at the bar, no obvious limits to the number of drinks you can consume, and no coupons or similar to be handed over it just seems a pointless policy. I equally don't see it being Health & Safety related as there's nothing similar enforced for people with hot drinks or bowls of soup etc.

Anyone got any ideas why, and also does this apply in all Centurion lounges as my only other lounge visit to date was at LAS where we sat at the bar and didn't have any issues getting two drinks at the same time!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 24 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
I have never had this experience myself. And it would be a bit of an inconvenience given my other half is in a wheelchair. Not something you want to go back and forth and back and forth with all the time, vs. handing me two glasses and calling it a day - or at least a few minutes between beverages.

Perhaps something's happened there recently. But I have yet to experience this restriction.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Been this way for as long as I can remember at this location. Probably something in the liquor license since the bartenders aren't able to see how intoxicated the other person might be.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
I've definitely been in there where a guy seemed to be passed out. Maybe they're trying to avoid that or something?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:11 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Not the same implementation, but see report here from Centurion LGA here starting at post 268:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post25536642
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by txflyer77
Been this way for as long as I can remember at this location. Probably something in the liquor license since the bartenders aren't able to see how intoxicated the other person might be.
Thanks! Yes, a condition of the liquor license was the one thing that did spring to mind but in that case I am surprised that none of the staff just gave that as the reason. In terms of the intoxication of the other person, there was no requirement for that person to get their own drinks personally. I could go up and get both each time - so they could have been lying in a drunken stupor in the corner and the bartender would have been none the wiser
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Not the same implementation, but see report here from Centurion LGA here starting at post 268:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post25536642
Thanks @mia for that! Definitely not quite the same implementation but maybe a variation on a similar theme.

Programs: Global Entry/TSA PreCheck
I always get two Cokes at a time at the bar, so it seems this policy only applies to alcohol.

Originally Posted by Geordie405
Thanks! Yes, a condition of the liquor license was the one thing that did spring to mind but in that case I am surprised that none of the staff just gave that as the reason. In terms of the intoxication of the other person, there was no requirement for that person to get their own drinks personally. I could go up and get both each time - so they could have been lying in a drunken stupor in the corner and the bartender would have been none the wiser
It's also a real PITA that I have to wait for the bartender just to get a Diet Coke. They should have a soda machine, would free up the bartender. Plus, there are times I might be on the fence between a Coke or a beer - if I have to wait for the bartender, might as well get a beer. Costs Amex more money.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by txflyer77
I have clearly ordered two drinks at one time, on several occasions and visits never experienced that before.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
Regarding the wine dispensing machines and the five-taste limit...

Is the idea to keep costs down by limiting consumption of the nicer wines? More for safety (both alcohol poisoning and violence)? Helping people avoid missed flights?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by CarefulBuilder14
Regarding the wine dispensing machines and the five-taste limit...

Is the idea to keep costs down by limiting consumption of the nicer wines? More for safety (both alcohol poisoning and violence)? Helping people avoid missed flights?
no I don't believe that, once you're done with the five tastes you just asked for another slip. Sometimes I take all five and pour a glass if I really like the wine
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
Originally Posted by Flying Machine

no I don't believe that, once you're done with the five tastes you just asked for another slip. Sometimes I take all five and pour a glass if I really like the wine
I have never asked for a second slip, but will next time I'm there!
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: Global Entry/TSA PreCheck
Arrived at the Lounge at approximately 11:20AM today (Thursday, July 5). I would estimate it was about 80% full. The great news was that the coffee machine was fully functional.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.