Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 26, 18, 9:24 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jerryhung
Wiki Link
FAQ
Q: Where is the lounge?
A: Terminal 3, F concourse, right by gate 75 and the F-3 security checkpoint (that has PreCheck).

Q: Can I visit there if I'm departing from another terminal?
A: Absolutely. Security at SFO will let passengers departing from any concourse at SFO go through security in any concourse, even ones that aren't connected behind security. At the moment, Terminal 3 concourses E and F, and International Terminal concourse G are connected airside to the Centurion lounge. Some other concourses are connected to each other airside, but not to the point that you can walk airside to the Centurion. However, with a PreCheck security lane right next to the entrance to the lounge, it can be quite easy to clear security twice if necessary.

Q: Can I visit if I'm arriving at SFO?
A: It depends. If you're arriving in the aforementioned concourses E, F, or G, then absolutely. If you're arriving in one of the other concourses, then security at SFO won't let you clear into E, F, or G without a boarding pass departing SFO that day. If you're arriving internationally, again, you'd need a same-day SFO departing boarding pass to clear security.

Wines by electronic pour
What have you found?
  • Add wine and date please
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 15, 17, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
It's really a roll of the dice. Tues. 2pm sounds like it wouldn't be that busy, but we've seen the lounge get packed at surprising times. If you have the time to kill, I'd give it a shot.
+1
If there's going to be a quiet time, that's it.
Old Oct 15, 17, 7:24 pm

I wonder if you can just call the lounge and ask how full they are. Then again if you're already at the airport, it wouldn't take long to just walk over.
Old Oct 15, 17, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus, AAdvantage, Hyatt Gold Passport, HHonors
Sounds like this place is a mess right now...is it worth skipping to go to Delta Sky Club instead? I've been to the Centurion lounge many times & love it (sans waiting so long for drinks), but I've never been to the Sky Club.
Old Oct 15, 17, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by kthpence View Post
Sounds like this place is a mess right now...is it worth skipping to go to Delta Sky Club instead? I've been to the Centurion lounge many times & love it (sans waiting so long for drinks), but I've never been to the Sky Club.
I can't say it is that clearcut for SFO. For SEA, obviously the Skyclub.
Old Oct 15, 17, 10:53 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
Space and comfort: Delta wins by a lot, even when Cent SFO isn't super-crowded or under renovation.
Food quality: Cent wins, but the free food at Delta SFO beats the free food at Admirals Clubs. I don't believe Delta SFO has a food-for-purchase menu.
Alcohol: Cent wins, but Delta has a few free options and premium drinks for sale.
Guest access: With Amex Plat, Cent wins.
Old Oct 15, 17, 11:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I was pretty impressed with the new Sky Club in T1-C. Centurion has better food, drink and decor, but the Sky Club has very large windows with views of the tarmac and runways. Lots of natural light. The big difference, of course, is crowding, which I'm guessing is seldom a problem in the Sky Club.
Old Oct 16, 17, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Amex Plat, Starwood Gold
Have an 11:00 a.m. out of T2 on Friday, and I need to get to the airport early (around 8:30/9:00). Is it worth trying Centurion given the renos and crowding or should I stick to the cozy (even if lacking in the food and drink department) Admirals Club?
Old Oct 16, 17, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysTheTourist View Post
Have an 11:00 a.m. out of T2 on Friday, and I need to get to the airport early (around 8:30/9:00). Is it worth trying Centurion given the renos and crowding or should I stick to the cozy (even if lacking in the food and drink department) Admirals Club?
Lots of reports of slow T2 security lately (including a recent experience of mine). I'd stick with the AC for this one. Wait until you have more time to kill or a flight out of T3 or Int.-G.
Old Oct 19, 17, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Absolute zoo at 11:30am on Thursday (today). Huge queue for food, didn't even try. Wifi down too. Yikes.
Old Oct 20, 17, 8:55 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of lounge crowding implication for American Express Platinum marketing has been moved HERE.
Old Oct 22, 17, 9:12 pm

If I arrive or depart from any other terminal besides Terminal 3, does that mean I have to go through TSA security twice in order to access the Centurion Lounge at SFO?
Old Oct 22, 17, 9:14 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by baydude View Post
If I arrive or depart from any other terminal besides Terminal 3, does that mean I have to go through TSA security twice in order to access the Centurion Lounge at SFO?
I believe so, except the International terminal has a tunnel walkway to Terminal 3 so if you go through security there, you will not need to go through security again.
Old Oct 22, 17, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by baydude View Post
You need a same-day departure boarding pass to get through security. It can be for any terminal. Yes, if your departure is from a terminal other than Terminal 3 or International-G (airside connection between T3-Int.-G), you will have to go through security twice to visit the lounge.

For arrivals (with SFO as your final destination), you need to be coming into Terminal 3 since you won't be able to get through security once you exit. This can also work if you arrive in International-G on a pre-cleared flight for immigration/customs purposes.
Old Oct 22, 17, 9:53 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
Yep, this is sorta why unfortunately, the lounge favors United (and international airlines) versus others.

I've had a few United flights where my gate was literally right outside of the exit of the lounge. Now that was sure convenient.
Old Oct 23, 17, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mediahound View Post
Yep, this is sorta why unfortunately, the lounge favors United (and international airlines) versus others.

I've had a few United flights where my gate was literally right outside of the exit of the lounge. Now that was sure convenient.
Indeed, I think that's a very big source of the problem for the Centurion Lounge at SFO. The United Clubs are okay, but Amex went a big step up from them. And the SFO CL is small. Some here have suggested that the solution is to expand the lounge or add another at SFO, but that's not an easy thing to accomplish, even if money is not an obstacle.

Search this Thread