Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014] (2013 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Infinite1K
FAQ
Q: Where is the lounge?
A: Terminal 3, F concourse, right by Gate F2 (formerly gate 75) and the F-1 security checkpoint (that has PreCheck, sometimes).

Q: Can I visit there if I'm departing from another terminal?
A: Absolutely. Security at SFO will let passengers departing from any concourse at SFO go through security in any concourse, even ones that aren't connected behind security. At the moment, Terminal 3 concourses E and F, and International Terminal concourse G are connected airside to the Centurion lounge. Some other concourses are connected to each other airside, but not to the point that you can walk airside to the Centurion. However, with a PreCheck security lane right next to the entrance to the lounge, it can be quite easy to clear security twice if necessary.

Q: Can I visit if I'm arriving at SFO?
A: It depends. If you're arriving in the aforementioned concourses E, F, or G, then yes, but only if you have a connecting flight. If you're arriving in one of the other concourses, then security at SFO won't let you clear into E, F, or G without a boarding pass departing SFO that day. If you're arriving internationally, again, you'd need a same-day SFO departing boarding pass to clear security.

Wines by electronic pour
What have you found?
  • Add wine and date please
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014] (2013 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Jed33d
Hi all,

Have not been to a Centurion lounge before and have a chance in a few weeks. Wife and I fly from YVR with a 3 hr layover in SFO before continuing on to IAH. Both flights in UA business class. Trying to decide if we pay for entry to the Centurion Lounge (both are SPG Amex cardholders, so would be $100 total), or if we go to the UA lounge, which we haven't been to in SFO. Looking at the past weeks worth of our flight from YVR, it seems to land in the gates that range from the 60's to the 80's, so we're in the neighborhood of the lounge. A few questions.....

Saw a posting of the menu from August. Is that still the current menu?

Is it worth paying the premium versus free entry to the UA Club? Been to a few of those and they haven't been anything super special, though better than no lounge access. We also have Priority Pass, but not sure on the quality of the KLM lounge?

Thoughts on this being worth the $100 premium to pay versus other options. Flying in on a Friday afternoon, so imagine it will be busy. Thanks for your thoughts!
IMO $100 is a bit of a premium... but it is a nice lounge. Just can be brutally crowded. As there is an IAH CL as well, I think that would be another $50 each for entry, right? Oh, and that assumes there is room inside- as they don't always sell the passes.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Is it worth paying the premium versus free entry to the UA Club?
IMHO no. It is a great feeling to experience this club for "free" if you have the platinum/centurion card. But I would not pay $50 for access.

This location does have a nice wine tasting area, and like others, a decent bar. Some folks are really attracted to the free booze; if this is your angle it might be worth it.

If it were me, I'd take the $100 and have a good meal in the terminal and relax in the UA biz lounge afterward.

If you have time, you might consider picking up a platinum card. If you are returning on the same route, you can use the lounge again. $400 in airline expenses in the first membership year + CL entrance fees on this single trip would pay for the annual fee right there.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...fly from YVR...
Originally Posted by joachimm
...consider picking up a platinum card. If you are returning on the same route, you can use the lounge again. $400 in airline expenses in the first membership year ....
Assuming Jed33d is eligible for a USA-issued card. Canadian pricing and benefits are different.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:03 am

For me, 3 hours is right around that amount of time where you could probably get good use out of the lounge (assuming there is space to let you guys in). If you drink, and have 3-4 cocktails + breakfast/lunch/dinner, then you'd get your money's worth. If you have less than 3 hours though, I wouldn't go & I'd just go to a nice restaurant in SFO and spend $75 there for a few drinks and food.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: AS, UA, AA, Hyatt Globalist, and Marriott Silver
Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. You all are echoing the decision points I'm wrestling with. If we went in, we'd have dinner and probably 3 drinks each, so I'm guessing that would put us at about $40 each for a decent meal in the terminal, so close to a wash.

We don't travel through SFO much, so any recommendations on a decent place to eat in Terminals E or F as that looks like where we'll probably land/depart. We can use that as an option if A) we can't get in the lounge, or B) decide we don't want a full meal and a few drinks. We'll be there on a Friday afternoon, so I'm guessing will be pretty crowded.

Thanks all!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:09 am

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. You all are echoing the decision points I'm wrestling with. If we went in, we'd have dinner and probably 3 drinks each, so I'm guessing that would put us at about $40 each for a decent meal in the terminal, so close to a wash.

We don't travel through SFO much, so any recommendations on a decent place to eat in Terminals E or F as that looks like where we'll probably land/depart. We can use that as an option if A) we can't get in the lounge, or B) decide we don't want a full meal and a few drinks. We'll be there on a Friday afternoon, so I'm guessing will be pretty crowded.

Thanks all!
Honestly you can easily get a full meal at the AMEX lounge. Last time I was there I had braised beef, sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts and it was a ton of food. I think if you are going to do three drinks each, I'd probably pay for the lounge if there's room.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by kthpence
Honestly you can easily get a full meal at the AMEX lounge. Last time I was there I had braised beef, sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts and it was a ton of food. I think if you are going to do three drinks each, I'd probably pay for the lounge if there's room.
haha so true. I reported elsewhere that I barely found a place to sit, and it was still uncomfortable. What I did was, got all my food and drinks in as soon as I could, then hightailed outta there to a UA Club, "to relax." I can say this with a straight face now.

To the OP, if you can get into the Cent Lounge, get your money's worth there with F&B, then it may be worth it to head over to UC to actually relax.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by kthpence
Last time I was there I had braised beef, sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts and it was a ton of food.
I was happy to see the brussel sprouts since I try to do the healthy thing. However, last time I was there I saw the cook put cut up raw brussel sprouts right into the deep fryer

Originally Posted by radiowell
What I did was, got all my food and drinks in as soon as I could, then hightailed outta there to a UA Club, "to relax." I can say this with a straight face now.
I thought I was the only one! I pop in, get a bite to eat then go to the UA Rotunda club. While it has the outdated look, its large and there is always a quiet spot to relax.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by radiowell
haha so true. I reported elsewhere that I barely found a place to sit, and it was still uncomfortable. What I did was, got all my food and drinks in as soon as I could, then hightailed outta there to a UA Club, "to relax." I can say this with a straight face now.

To the OP, if you can get into the Cent Lounge, get your money's worth there with F&B, then it may be worth it to head over to UC to actually relax.
I was there the other week on a Sunday afternoon and it was very quiet up until 30 mins before I left (when a family of SIX entered). I'm so looking forward to the new lounge access rules
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Hi all,

Have not been to a Centurion lounge before and have a chance in a few weeks. Wife and I fly from YVR with a 3 hr layover in SFO before continuing on to IAH. Both flights in UA business class. Trying to decide if we pay for entry to the Centurion Lounge (both are SPG Amex cardholders, so would be $100 total), or if we go to the UA lounge, which we haven't been to in SFO. Looking at the past weeks worth of our flight from YVR, it seems to land in the gates that range from the 60's to the 80's, so we're in the neighborhood of the lounge. A few questions.....

Saw a posting of the menu from August. Is that still the current menu?

Is it worth paying the premium versus free entry to the UA Club? Been to a few of those and they haven't been anything super special, though better than no lounge access. We also have Priority Pass, but not sure on the quality of the KLM lounge?

Thoughts on this being worth the $100 premium to pay versus other options. Flying in on a Friday afternoon, so imagine it will be busy. Thanks for your thoughts!
Getting access to the lounge is a nice benefit to a 450$ platinum card, and the lounge is nice and okay, the drinks are interesting and free, but the lounge can really get crowded at various times during the day and then its really not worth anything IMHO. I might have a COUPLE drinks with such a lay over, but not 2+ so that's not really too much value for my taste. (no judgement here!) but if I had access to the new United Club (drinks there too although not as interesting), it's larger and nicely redone, I most certainly would not PAY 100$ just to experience the Centurion lounge. With no Club access, I'd probably pay 100$ for the Centurion lounge (after checking out occupancy) over the United Club, but at that point I might rather hit the SFO food options (lots of GREAT options) than get nibbles in the United Club, or better nibbles in the Cent lounge. How about this option. hit the United Club, if its' nice, not too occupied and the drinks are satisfactory, stay - if not too interesting, hit the great eateries in the SFO terminal (different eats in the 60's gates, newer and more space too!) and you haven't really paid out 100$ at that point.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I love the SFO Centurion Lounge, but I don't think it's worth $100 over your free access to the United Club Lounge. If you nonetheless consider putting down the Benjamin for access, take a look at whether the lounge is crowded as you climb the steps and make your decision.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: AS, UA, AA, Hyatt Globalist, and Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by nmenaker
but if I had access to the new United Club (drinks there too although not as interesting), it's larger and nicely redone,

but at that point I might rather hit the SFO food options (lots of GREAT options) than get nibbles in the United Club, or better nibbles in the Cent lounge. How about this option. hit the United Club, if its' nice, not too occupied and the drinks are satisfactory, stay - if not too interesting, hit the great eateries in the SFO terminal (different eats in the 60's gates, newer and more space too!) and you haven't really paid out 100$ at that point.
Thanks everyone and nmenaker! Just curious, is one of the UA clubs newer? We are flying in biz YVR-SFO-IAH(overnight)-CZM, so should have access.

Also, looks like gates for arrival and departure are probably E or F, so any favorite restaurant spots? After all the feedback, leaning against the CL this trip.

Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:51 am

Thanks everyone and nmenaker! Just curious, is one of the UA clubs newer? We are flying in biz YVR-SFO-IAH(overnight)-CZM, so should have access.

Also, looks like gates for arrival and departure are probably E or F, so any favorite restaurant spots? After all the feedback, leaning against the CL this trip.

Thanks!
Yes there is a newer US Club in T3 near boarding area E. It's funny though people complain about crowding at the AMEX lounge with the UA lounges can be just as crowded if not more crowded. The other week I was flying out of the international terminal ... saw the huge line at the UA club and high-tailed it over to T3 for the AMEX lounge. Your experience may be different though.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:56 pm

Looking forward to checking out this lounge with my 2 guests towards the end of April by using my AMEX Plat. Both our arrival and departure are from Terminal 3 according to my itinerary. 6.5 h layover from afternoon to evening.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:56 pm

I'm chilling in the SFO lounge right now, and while busy (not yet standing room only), there are a few seats here and there.

Just had a chicken dish with Brussels sprouts. I guess you're supposed to use the sauce on the chicken. LoL - but it's a healthy option by itself.

I got here too early, with another 5 hours until boarding at T-2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.