Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014] (2013 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Infinite1K
FAQ
Q: Where is the lounge?
A: Terminal 3, F concourse, right by Gate F2 (formerly gate 75) and the F-1 security checkpoint (that has PreCheck, sometimes).

Q: Can I visit there if I'm departing from another terminal?
A: Absolutely. Security at SFO will let passengers departing from any concourse at SFO go through security in any concourse, even ones that aren't connected behind security. At the moment, Terminal 3 concourses E and F, and International Terminal concourse G are connected airside to the Centurion lounge. Some other concourses are connected to each other airside, but not to the point that you can walk airside to the Centurion. However, with a PreCheck security lane right next to the entrance to the lounge, it can be quite easy to clear security twice if necessary.

Q: Can I visit if I'm arriving at SFO?
A: It depends. If you're arriving in the aforementioned concourses E, F, or G, then yes, but only if you have a connecting flight. If you're arriving in one of the other concourses, then security at SFO won't let you clear into E, F, or G without a boarding pass departing SFO that day. If you're arriving internationally, again, you'd need a same-day SFO departing boarding pass to clear security.

Wines by electronic pour
What have you found?
  • Add wine and date please
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014] (2013 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
I'm not SFO based, but how does this help displaced AA and US customers? Last time I checked AA flies out of T2. I've never been to T3, so I don't know how long the walk is, but you still have to clear security in T2. Am I missing something?
Nope, you're not missing anything. That being said, there are sometimes lounges pre-security for a variety of reasons. The LGA Centurion lounge is reported to go landside. The Star Alliance (or United, I forget) lounge at CDG is before security as well.

I'm guessing that with PreCheck and including wait time for the AirTrain between terminals, I can get from outside T3 to inside T2 in ~10-15 minutes.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 4:18 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Nope, you're not missing anything. That being said, there are sometimes lounges pre-security for a variety of reasons. The LGA Centurion lounge is reported to go landside. The Star Alliance (or United, I forget) lounge at CDG is before security as well.

I'm guessing that with PreCheck and including wait time for the AirTrain between terminals, I can get from outside T3 to inside T2 in ~10-15 minutes.
However, if you're checking luggage or need to pick up a boarding pass from your airline, you would need to check in at T1 or T2, head over to T3, and then head back to T1 or T2 to catch your flight. Once you get back to your departure terminal you don't know how long security will take. Precheck makes the experience more predictable, but not everyone has Precheck.

The bottom line is I don't think many people would make the effort to go to another terminal just to seek out a lounge which is why I said they might as well place it airside in T3 since it's a United hub. Take the example of DFW, I don't see too many non-AA passengers in the Centurion Lounge except those who might have a flight departing from Terminal D. If checking in at Terminal E, for instance, I don't think many would take the effort to ride Skylink from Terminal E to D and back again, and that's even with all gates being connected behind security via Skylink.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
It will actually be outside security.

But, agree, not worth the trouble.
What's your source on the landslide decision? According to what the DFW lounge staff tell me, the SFO one will be airside.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by gooseman13
Majuki - I don't think T3 will have a significant majority of Centurion Lounge guests. I think a significant number of VX and AA customers will be using it, and it's an easy walk from T2. Putting it inside of security automatically limits availability to fewer than 1/2 of the airports travellers.
Probably not too many AA passengers. If you fly AA a lot, there's a good chance you have an Admirals Club membership, and that's a very nice new lounge in T2.

Also, T2 is a beautiful new terminal with plenty of good food & drink offerings. If you have to be sitting around in an airport, it's a pretty good place to be.

T1, however...
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: United Gold
The Star Alliance (or United, I forget) lounge at CDG is before security as well.
The last time I was there it was a Star Alliance lounge. I hope to use it again on my CDG-BKK flight on TG later this year.

As for the location of the SFO Centurion Lounge, I hope it's airside, but I might use it if it was landside, depending on its quality and/or my connection time.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
This will probably open after April right?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
This will probably open after April right?
Does anyone have any info on when it may open? I'm planning a trip in start of April and guessing it won't be open by then, but would be awesome if anyone knew any info on it.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 6:47 pm

July http://www.cntraveler.com/perrin-pos...URION-LOUNGE_7
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
Well guess I won't be able to use it this upcoming trip but nice to know! Thanks.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 4:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by tigeros
I noticed this sign outside an area under construction on the third floor of Terminal 3. It's past subway so before security.
http://i.imgur.com/Bgp28wc.jpg

Lots of construction work going on in that area with the conference rooms, the new security checkpoint where post-security Burger King use to be, and boarding area E opening up next week.
For the convenience of members here, the Bay Area Traveler article says, in part:

An American Express spokesperson would not confirm an opening date, or that the SFO location would be the third location, only that it would be the location “of a future lounge.”

The new lounge will be located in a space (currently under construction) in the mezzanine level above the premium security checkpoint in United’s Terminal 3 and gate 75, according to SFO spokesperson Doug Yakel. He also estimated that the new lounge will open sometime during summer 2014.
It will indeed be before security. Good for those traveling on other airlines than UA, but bad for them because of the distances. Bad for those raveling UA, because they will have to leave sufficient time in their schedules to deal with occasional lengthy security queues.

Why not in the International Terminal? At least it's kind of a hub, spoked to the other terminals.

New Centurion club near T-3 UA Gate 75 - gold spot
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
For the convenience of members here, the Bay Area Traveler article says, in part:

It will indeed be before security.[/CENTER]
I don't think that article conclusively states the lounge will be landside. The mezzanine level, depending on where the entrance and walls are set up, could easily be a post-security facility.

This topic has some fragmentation of information at the moment because there is a parallel thread in the local San Francisco forum. A copy of the lease diagramming the layout posted there, and it looks airside.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22322327-post24.html

And Amex employees have told be it will be airside every time I've asked.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I don't think that article conclusively states the lounge will be landside. The mezzanine level, depending on where the entrance and walls are set up, could easily be a post-security facility.
I think that's right. I recently saw the construction site for the new United Club in T3E. That is also at mezzanine level, and it looks like it will be airside.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: 1k MM, Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold, IHG Sphire, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Carson Gold
I have never used a club anywhere after my final flight. I also would have no interest in a non airside club preflight. I can't relax until I'm thru security
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 1fan
I have never used a club anywhere after my final flight. I also would have no interest in a non airside club preflight. I can't relax until I'm thru security
they can be very useful when TSA won't let you access a terminal with an accessible lounge when you have a longer layover. Airside lounges are the perfect solution in this case. Overall I agree that airside is better.
Hope the SFO lounge will open soon Good to give UA some competition.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: United Gold
And Amex employees have told be it will be airside every time I've asked.
I've asked a different employee at the LAS lounge each time I'm there and they all say it will be airside as well. I can't wait to try it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.