Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014] (2013 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Infinite1K
FAQ
Q: Where is the lounge?
A: Terminal 3, F concourse, right by Gate F2 (formerly gate 75) and the F-1 security checkpoint (that has PreCheck, sometimes).

Q: Can I visit there if I'm departing from another terminal?
A: Absolutely. Security at SFO will let passengers departing from any concourse at SFO go through security in any concourse, even ones that aren't connected behind security. At the moment, Terminal 3 concourses E and F, and International Terminal concourse G are connected airside to the Centurion lounge. Some other concourses are connected to each other airside, but not to the point that you can walk airside to the Centurion. However, with a PreCheck security lane right next to the entrance to the lounge, it can be quite easy to clear security twice if necessary.

Q: Can I visit if I'm arriving at SFO?
A: It depends. If you're arriving in the aforementioned concourses E, F, or G, then yes, but only if you have a connecting flight. If you're arriving in one of the other concourses, then security at SFO won't let you clear into E, F, or G without a boarding pass departing SFO that day. If you're arriving internationally, again, you'd need a same-day SFO departing boarding pass to clear security.

Wines by electronic pour
What have you found?
  • Add wine and date please
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014] (2013 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:26 am

Quirky thought or excellent idea?

Put a security line inside the lounge for card holders only.
Go into the lounge and chill. When you're ready to head out, go through a dedicated security line between the lounge and the terminal.

How special would you feel then?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Spoddy

Go into the lounge and chill. When you're ready to head out, go through a dedicated security line between the lounge and the terminal.

I'm not driven by feeling "special" but merely by removing as much friction from my travel between point A and point B as possible.

The flaw in your idea is that it would be very, very difficult to get TSA, which still essentially maintains control of this process, in U.S. airports, "on board" with this idea.

Regards
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
I'm not driven by feeling "special" but merely by removing as much friction from my travel between point A and point B as possible.

The flaw in your idea is that it would be very, very difficult to get TSA, which still essentially maintains control of this process, in U.S. airports, "on board" with this idea.

Regards
I agree it would be difficult, however how much control and influence does the airport still have in this regard? The TSA is there because the airport hasn't brought another (DHS approved) company in to do the job, so there's still that, but then like SFO, it's not like other companies are making their case through their current actions/behaviour.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Great idea although 95% of my travel is out of T2 so I'd love a bridge going out that way as well
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K and 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond
SFO doesn't use TSA. Their security is handled by Covenant Aviation Security, a private company under contract with the TSA.
SFO Info
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by ToneDaBass
SFO doesn't use TSA. Their security is handled by Covenant Aviation Security, a private company under contract with the TSA.
SFO Info
Exactly my point. They're not TSA - proving you don't need the TSA, but then they aren't proving they're doing a better job either. Going through SFO makes me want to deal with the TSA after all!! At least some of the TSA folks smile at you....
Old Jan 28, 2014, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Spoddy

In the days of no security the original Concorde Lounge at LHR was the best. Straight from the lounge onto the aircraft.

BA SFO lounge is a little like this - out the back door of the club to the gate but it is post security.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by sdix
In the days of no security the original Concorde Lounge at LHR was the best. Straight from the lounge onto the aircraft.

BA SFO lounge is a little like this - out the back door of the club to the gate but it is post security.
Don't the CX flights board directly from the lounge?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by Majuki
Don't the CX flights board directly from the lounge?
Not in my experience. The lounge is near the start of the terminal and CX planes often board at the end of the pier.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Not in my experience. The lounge is near the start of the terminal and CX planes often board at the end of the pier.
My mistake... I read that CX had opened its own lounge and had previously used the BA lounge (which allowed for boarding directly from the lounge).
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
The Westin at DTW airport has it's own TSA line into the Delta terminal. It's certainly not impossible.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by some dude
The Westin at DTW airport has it's own TSA line into the Delta terminal. It's certainly not impossible.
The old Davey Terminal at DTW had its own security line (predated TSA) at the Marriott too.

I think it would still make more sense for to have the Centurion Lounge be airside though since a majority of people will be flying through T3, and I don't know if many people who would visit from other terminals before or after a flight. For instance, if you haven't preprinted a boarding pass (or using a mobile boarding pass) or checking luggage you would have to go to T1 or T2 to check-in and then walk or take the AirTrain over to T3. Even at DFW I don't get over to the Centurion Lounge unless I have a long (2+ hour) layover or am passing through Terminal D.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Majuki - I don't think T3 will have a significant majority of Centurion Lounge guests. I think a significant number of VX and AA customers will be using it, and it's an easy walk from T2. Putting it inside of security automatically limits availability to fewer than 1/2 of the airports travellers.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:23 pm

Though a bit disappointed it won't be after security, I guess it's no different than it is now.

San Francisco Airport is pretty old, and the way it's designed has a lot of available spaces at the front part of the airport, then all the space after security is pretty tight. The lounges I have visited there were always before security (which I found annoying because you didn't how long it would take you to get through with everyone else).

Wonder if the new Delta Sky Club they mention in that article is after security? I fly Delta or American, mostly Delta. Since they are sprucing up their Sky Clubs maybe it's inside?

Looking forward to visiting the Centurion Lounges though. Probably will go to Dallas, since AA has a hub there and hopefully it won't take too much monorail riding to get to it.

I was in Europe two weeks ago, and I visited some fantastic lounges through Priority Club that knocked my socks off... so expecting something like that...
Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
I'm not SFO based, but how does this help displaced AA and US customers? Last time I checked AA flies out of T2. I've never been to T3, so I don't know how long the walk is, but you still have to clear security in T2. Am I missing something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.