Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014] (2013 - 2021)

Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Infinite1K
FAQ
Q: Where is the lounge?
A: Terminal 3, F concourse, right by Gate F2 (formerly gate 75) and the F-1 security checkpoint (that has PreCheck, sometimes).

Q: Can I visit there if I'm departing from another terminal?
A: Absolutely. Security at SFO will let passengers departing from any concourse at SFO go through security in any concourse, even ones that aren't connected behind security. At the moment, Terminal 3 concourses E and F, and International Terminal concourse G are connected airside to the Centurion lounge. Some other concourses are connected to each other airside, but not to the point that you can walk airside to the Centurion. However, with a PreCheck security lane right next to the entrance to the lounge, it can be quite easy to clear security twice if necessary.

Q: Can I visit if I'm arriving at SFO?
A: It depends. If you're arriving in the aforementioned concourses E, F, or G, then yes, but only if you have a connecting flight. If you're arriving in one of the other concourses, then security at SFO won't let you clear into E, F, or G without a boarding pass departing SFO that day. If you're arriving internationally, again, you'd need a same-day SFO departing boarding pass to clear security.

Wines by electronic pour
What have you found?
  • Add wine and date please
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014] (2013 - 2021)

Old Nov 26, 2021, 5:24 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I didn't take offense either. This location has no view, nor much ambience, so that just leaves the other things so allowing for some poetic license on "pound" it seems fairly accurate

Or at least, I didn't feel personally targeted, anyway...
renila, SPN Lifer, Mama and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Zorak
I didn't take offense either. This location has no view, nor much ambience, so that just leaves the other things so allowing for some poetic license on "pound" it seems fairly accurate

Or at least, I didn't feel personally targeted, anyway...
OP stated: From what I read above most people visit to pound drinks and food, the views seem to be a minor consideration, particularly given the capacity issues

In my opinion it was secondhand information based on “from what I read”. Most people are there to enjoy a few beverages and a nibble or two (or more) I guess it just sounded derogatory to me. I don’t even think they considered poetic license.

In my personal opinion the bartenders work very hard there, make really nice cocktails. They only allow you to take one at a time, and you can’t even get one for a guest unless they know the guest is with you. Thus pounding is not appropriate in my opinion

Last edited by mia; Nov 26, 2021 at 8:52 pm Reason: See rule 12b
Old Nov 26, 2021, 7:58 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
OP stated: From what I read above most people visit to pound drinks and food, the views seem to be a minor consideration, particularly given the capacity issues

In my opinion it was secondhand information based on “from what I read”. Most people are there to enjoy a few beverages and a nibble or two (or more) I guess it just sounded derogatory to me. I don’t even think they considered poetic license.

In my personal opinion the bartenders work very hard there, make really nice cocktails. They only allow you to take one at a time, and you can’t even get one for a guest unless they know the guest is with you. Thus pounding is not appropriate in my opinion
Alrighty, take it from someone that's there at least monthly: plenty of people are there to pound some drinks and food when they have 15-30 minutes before a flight, sometimes myself included. Nothing offensive about the term.
renila and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by mia; Nov 26, 2021 at 8:53 pm Reason: Edit quoted post.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 8:03 pm

RE: pounding drinks and/or food

Ah, I wasn't offended and really didn't give it a thought. But, I'm not exactly a good barometer of "offensive" speech, and tend to, for whatever reason, probably have a thicker skin than most.
SPN Lifer and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Thus pounding is not appropriate in my opinion
Are you suggesting that those who pound food and drink should pound sand?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 8:59 am

It's FT...everyone must get their pound of flesh.
renila and 747FC like this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think it's fair to say that for many, the open bar is the draw here. It's definitely not a lounge for escaping the crowds and chaos of the terminal, as it's often worse inside the lounge than out in the terminal. (And since the latter is generally my #1 priority, I'm often disappointed by this lounge.)

And with respect to view, given the lounge's interior mezzanine location, I don't believe it will ever offer tarmac views.
renila, SPN Lifer, Boraxo and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 10:22 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by 747FC
Are you suggesting that those who pound food and drink should pound sand?

Not at all! We all live life with some sense of decorum. I have been critical of the staff at this location in the past, and made my views public. However, in this case I felt that the word pounding by the OP seemed a bit offensive to me. I too have thick skin, I may or may not be the minority here, however when I enter a club I have the respect for the others around me and my own personal space. Its not a free-for-all. Anyway, im happy to be a member with all its advantages and disadvantages. Just wanted to set the record clear before this turns into something suitable for Omni. Member since: 80

Last edited by Flying Machine; Nov 27, 2021 at 10:32 am
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I have the respect for the others around me and my own personal space. Its not a free-for-all.
I don't think the comments were directed at the lounge guests rather that many, myself included, go in for a couple of passes through the buffet line and bar and then leave the lounge for somewhere with better ambience. As has been said on one of the Centurion Lounge threads, the Centurion Lounges are a victim of their own success. From opening, they've pretty consistently had better food options (and definitely better complimentary alcohol) than the US airline clubs or the Priority Pass lounges, excluding the affiliated restaurants. Therefore, the primary reason people come is to feast on the food and beverages that are available and treat it like the buffet that it is.
renila likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 6:43 am

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I take no offense by the suggestion that people at the SFO lounge tend to pound drinks and food, but that’s not been my experience. It seems to me like the typical level of eating and drinking in a lounge that has good food and beverage options.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by JHake10
I read that a T-3 and T-2 airside connecter is now open. Im guessing the AMEX and even PP Restaurants may be even more crowded.
Yes, there will probably be some more passengers flying on Alaska and Delta coming over from the D and C Concourses now. However, Lark Creek Grill in D is now a Priority Pass restaurant. (Of course the Amex-issued Priority Pass card doesnt work for restaurants.)

Last edited by dhuey; Nov 28, 2021 at 7:13 am
Old Nov 28, 2021, 8:08 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dhuey
Yes, there will probably be some more passengers flying on Alaska and Delta coming over from the D and C Concourses now. However, Lark Creek Grill in D is now a Priority Pass restaurant. (Of course the Amex-issued Priority Pass card doesn’t work for restaurants.)
If I'm flying DL, and have a Platinum card, I'm in the SkyClub, which I find considerably nicer than Amex SFO. I guess the only reason to go to Amex is if I have guests, which is one of the reasons Amex should tighten its guest policies immediately, rather than waiting until 2023.
dhuey, renila and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
If I'm flying DL, and have a Platinum card, I'm in the SkyClub, which I find considerably nicer than Amex SFO. I guess the only reason to go to Amex is if I have guests, which is one of the reasons Amex should tighten its guest policies immediately, rather than waiting until 2023.
Yes, I would definitely stick with the SkyClub on my own. Having guests would be the only reason I would trek all the way over to F from C for the Centurion Lounge. Same for when I fly in First on Alaska, which gets you access to the new Alaska Lounge in D (paid and award First, but not upgrades).
Old Nov 28, 2021, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dhuey
I take no offense by the suggestion that people at the SFO lounge tend to pound drinks and food, but thats not been my experience. It seems to me like the typical level of eating and drinking in a lounge that has good food and beverage options.
good food options? At SFO lounge?

I'll admit I'm a newbie to the Amex lounges, and have just been to DEN and SFO. But in my case, and maybe its the time of day, but there is no question that the food was definitely better in one of those locations then the other (DEN wins, hands down). I was excited for Amex lounges, but having the SFO lounge at my 'home' location is pretty embarrassing (I'd say food at SJC 'The Club' has been better). There were a couple of decent items for breakfast when I was in SFO, but certainly most were not good. The quiche I had at breakfast time looked ok, but was tasteless, as was much of the other food. scrambled eggs with mushrooms was passable, as was tea bread. My wife is vegan, and there was virtually nothing she could eat except for oatmeal (which also was not any good). If I got anything like most of that at a restaurant at the airport, I'd be wondering what I was paying for. Also, surprised to see zero alt milk options at all (even the 7-Eleven I was at yesterday had mini-oatmilk creamer minis - can Centurion not at least get on the almond/soy milk bandwagon that started what, 5-10 years ago?). Espresso machines both seemed to be out of milk, so everything except for Americanos were unavailable.

This is supposed to be a premium lounge experience. My experience is limited, I'll admit, but SFO Centurion lounge is far from that.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10
I read that a T-3 and T-2 airside connecter is now open. Im guessing the AMEX and even PP Restaurants may be even more crowded.
thank you for the report

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.