The Death Spiral of the Centurion Card

Old Dec 22, 2013, 3:06 pm

Do centurion cardholders have to fly 50,000 or 125,000 miles for DL Diamond?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by SansSerif
Do centurion cardholders have to fly 50,000 or 125,000 miles for DL Diamond?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
That's unfortunate. Thanks for the info.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by SansSerif
That's unfortunate. Thanks for the info.
The only time that they get a "bump" is the post-2014 CX Gold benefit some non-US cards come with (Plat and Cent). Status will no longer be comped but members will get a 50% bump towards status.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent, VS G, CO G, US Plat, IC Plat Amb
Another benefit appears to be lost or on its way out. Just got off the phone with Centurion Travel and Ritz-Carlton is as of now off the small list of hotels which offer special centurion benefits... the most important being a guaranteed upgrade at time of booking (vs at check-in if available).

The agent read off an email she received stating they are still in negotiations with the chain for the 2014 contract (which are normally finalized around October) so only standard FHR benefits apply for now.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:00 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Originally Posted by HaydenFive
Another benefit appears to be lost or on its way out. Just got off the phone with Centurion Travel and Ritz-Carlton is as of now off the small list of hotels which offer special centurion benefits... the most important being a guaranteed upgrade at time of booking (vs at check-in if available).

The agent read off an email she received stating they are still in negotiations with the chain for the 2014 contract (which are normally finalized around October) so only standard FHR benefits apply for now.
If that is confirmed, that is another major loss
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:25 am

I gave back my Cent and kept a plat. Best decision ever.
BTW once you return your Cent you keep the old perks until the exp date of your card. So my exp date was 09/16. Gave the card back in July and still enjoying all the perks of the cent including DL status/SWU.
I feel like I saved $5k/year...(we had 2 cards).
For me being AA exec plat + Admiral Club works just fine. I see zero benefit in the Cent as is. The JP Morgan Palladium looks like the one to get.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Cizake
The JP Morgan Palladium looks like the one to get.
Out of curiosity, why do you say that?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:48 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...you keep the old perks until the exp date of your card. So my exp date was 09/16.
I think you are mistaken if you believe that American Express will arrange for Delta to renew your status in 2014, 2015 and 2016. The expiration date printed on the physical card is unrelated to benefits.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
How often do they update other countries Centurion's site? I mean, they rarely Update the Argentine one.. so i can still see some very old offers.. and was wondering if they would add new ones soon, since it's a new year..
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:20 pm

I agree with MIA. You will not get Delta benefits to 2016. Amex is pretty darn good at killing benefits even if you have the Centurion card. The problem is once you drop Centurion card you may never ever get it back. I know many people who have the Centurion card and through it in the drawer to gather dust and use SPG Amex with a + six figure credit line

I gave back my Cent and kept a plat. Best decision ever.
BTW once you return your Cent you keep the old perks until the exp date of your card. So my exp date was 09/16. Gave the card back in July and still enjoying all the perks of the cent including DL status/SWU.
I feel like I saved $5k/year...(we had 2 cards).
For me being AA exec plat + Admiral Club works just fine. I see zero benefit in the Cent as is. The JP Morgan Palladium looks like the one to get.

Last edited by Centurion; Jan 6, 2014 at 9:49 pm
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:52 pm

Yup looks like Centurion not worth the $$ with it being watered down it's beginning to look like a much more expensive version of the Platinum card.
At least with the Palladium card you are getting a better value and some may argue a better bling factor for the card fee.
Palladium + Platinum appears to be a good value combination compared to the Cent. If the Palladium ups its game just a little bit Amex may truly have a real competitor.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:45 pm

The Death Spiral of the Centurion Card

Amex needs to worry about Chase taking people from all their card products my opinion. Chase has really stepped up their game and now have "charge" card products.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:42 am

I'm thinking about dropping my spouse's card this year as it currently isn't worth the additional $2,500 to keep it. I'm only keeping mine based on the "once you drop Centurion card you may never ever get it back" rule cited by mia because I know this would be the case, particularly as I would not be willing to pay an initiation fee if I should want it back in future.

I assume that as long as I retain my Cent account, I can always re-add my husband in future, correct? And if so, am I always able to add him back at the annual fee only, without needing to pay an initiation fee for his card?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:35 am

As long as you are the primary card holder and your spouse is secondary, removing and adding your spouse later will not incur an initiation fee on his card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.