Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Death Spiral of the Centurion Card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
This is just some reduction of the benefits of the US Cent so that they're more equal to the Cent cards in other countries.

As Canadian Cent cardholders, we started with basically nothing, no VS Gold, no US Platinum, no DL Platinum. But we subsequently had HH Diamond, DL Gold, CX Diamond added as benefits. These are clearly improvements.

Now that I said these, our devaluation will be coming soon.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 9:55 pm

Programs: AC*75K, Amex Centurion, Marriott Platinum Elite, All Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jarusoba
This is just some reduction of the benefits of the US Cent so that they're more equal to the Cent cards in other countries.

As Canadian Cent cardholders, we started with basically nothing, no VS Gold, no US Platinum, no DL Platinum. But we subsequently had HH Diamond, DL Gold, CX Diamond added as benefits. These are clearly improvements.

Now that I said these, our devaluation will be coming soon.
Funny I was going to type in a similar response earlier, but didn't want to say I find good "value" in the Canadian Cent for fear that devaluation would come after posting haha.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 12:42 am

Programs: LH Senator, Amex Centurion, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Platinum, Delta Platinum,
Originally Posted by TravelStar
9. Also some years back, Hyatt Diamond was a Centurion benefit.

I really miss that one!
Well said I have been debating keeping my Centurion. One additional benefit that has been taken away are the end of the year gift cards. I use to get $500 and $1000 gift cards from Centurion but these are also gone. Its ridiculous!!
Old Dec 6, 2013, 12:43 am

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by LAXRuss
On a serious note though, it is interesting that AMEX has not allowed foreign Cents to enter the US market for a number of years through the Global Transfer Program.
This isn't entirely accurate. They'll do it if you spend enough. You get to keep both if you like, and pay double the fees.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
This isn't entirely accurate. They'll do it if you spend enough. You get to keep both if you like, and pay double the fees.
What is the 'global transfer program'?..... tia
Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by bizorbetter
I believe Canadian cents get HH Diamond and as well they get CX diamond which = OW emerald....thus AC access?

Interesting
I think they need to push for CX Diamond or at least a "Sapphire" equivalent at any non American Airline. This will allow us to continue to use the Admirals Clubs. In fact, if they get us "Emerald" equivalent I believe we can access the domestic flagship lounges on domestic itineraries which is something AA EXP cannot do.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:32 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
Definitely, the US market and International Euro/Dollar cards aren't even the worst.

In Hong Kong the annual fee is now ~5000.00 USD and we get very, very little for it.
At the risk of going down a slippery slope, that is a market where people will pay that just to have that card in their wallet. This card is starting to look like it is meant for people who derive some sense of self-worth and status from it (look at the comments earlier about there being other black cards out there, cent is no longer special), Amex knows this and is cutting benefits where it can get away with it.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by FFMilesJunkie
In fact, if they get us "Emerald" equivalent I believe we can access the domestic flagship lounges on domestic itineraries which is something AA EXP cannot do.
i can confirm that you are correct as i traveled with someone who got us in with his CX emerald at the FSL ORD (ORD-LAX)
Old Dec 6, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Originally Posted by newbie elite
At the risk of going down a slippery slope, that is a market where people will pay that just to have that card in their wallet. This card is starting to look like it is meant for people who derive some sense of self-worth and status from it (look at the comments earlier about there being other black cards out there, cent is no longer special), Amex knows this and is cutting benefits where it can get away with it.
I don't think that's completely accurate. I just use my Centurion titanium card when i travel (the black one).. for the other days of the year, while im in Argentina, i use the Centurion Platinum card they provide (same cent benefits, hidden in a platinum-looking card, to not show off).
Old Dec 6, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by newbie elite
You might be onto something there. Wallet bling is a big thing in HK, Singapore etc. But there are other markets, too where Cent is way worse then USA. Switzerland comes to mind. And those folks aren't in it for the bling.

Their most competitive market is the US market. Cutting down there is a surprising move. Not sure where they are going with this. What's the point of the whole thing?

Increasing the requirements to get an invite was somewhat understandable but cutting benefits AND increasing annual fees at pretty much the same time is really an interesting move.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by tuchop
I don't think that's completely accurate. I just use my Centurion titanium card when i travel (the black one).. for the other days of the year, while im in Argentina, i use the Centurion Platinum card they provide (same cent benefits, hidden in a platinum-looking card, to not show off).
Yes but you are probably from a different background than most of their Hong Kong/Singapore cardmembers. In some parts of Asia showing wealth and or power is truly a national sport whereas Europeans and other groups may prefer to keep a lower profile.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: Amex Cent, DE Plat, UA1K, Globalist, etc.
Centurion loses USAIR Plat and lounge access

First Continental, now USAir. Down to Delta only. Heartbreaking.

View in your browser

Hello, XXX XXXXXX
Account Ending: XXXXX

We are writing to give you advance notice of changes to your travel benefits.

CHANGES TO THE AIRPORT CLUB ACCESS PROGRAM

As of March 22, 2014, Business Centurion Members will no longer receive complimentary access to American Airlines® Admirals Club lounges and US Airways® Club locations. In addition, Centurion Members will no longer receive US Airways Dividend Miles Platinum Preferred status as a benefit of Centurion Membership. Your other Airport Club Access benefits remain unchanged at participating airport clubs, including:

• Delta Sky Club®1
• Priority Pass™ Select2 at 600 airport lounges worldwide, enroll now
• Airspace Lounges™3

As someone who travels frequently, we realize this is an inconvenience to you and your business, so we are extending you a special offer.

From March 22, 2014 – December 31, 2014, you can get up to $200 in statement credits toward American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees charged to your Card by the airline.4 No enrollment is required. You can use these credits toward certain fees, such as:

• Membership fees in the Admirals Club program and US Airways Club
• Admirals Club lounge One-Day Passes and US Airways Club day passes
• Other incidental American Airlines and US Airways fees such as baggage fees or flight-change fees

This offer is in addition to the existing annual $200 Airline Fee Credit5 benefit already included on your Card.* If you haven't enrolled, you can get started by selecting an airline.

EXPANSION OF THE CENTURIONSM LOUNGE6

You now have unlimited, complimentary access to The Centurion Lounge in both Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport and Las Vegas McCarran International Airport.

The lounge features conference spaces, computer bars, semi-private workspaces, complimentary gourmet meals, and signature cocktails.

CENTURION® TRAVEL BENEFITS

We would like to remind you of the existing benefits your Business Centurion® Card offers to help increase productivity when you travel:

• $200 Airline Fee Credit. Every January, you have the option to enroll and select a qualifying airline. Then receive up to $200 a year when incidental fees such as airport club lounge membership, one-day lounge passes, and baggage or flight-change fees are charged by the airline to your Business Centurion Card.
• 20% Travel Bonus. When you use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points7 to pay for all or part of your travel on http://americanexpress.com/travel you can get 20% of the points back as a credit to your Membership Rewards account.
• Centurion Elite Hotel Status.8 Enroll in the elite levels of the frequent guest programs at select hotels to receive room upgrades, point bonuses, and more.
• Centurion FINE HOTELS & RESORTS.9 Receive upgrades at the time of check-in when available, daily breakfast for two people, and more at select hotels.
• No foreign transaction fees on purchases while traveling internationally.

You can view all of the benefits your Business Centurion Card has to offer by visiting www.businesscenturion.com or by calling 800-297-3333.

Thank you for your business.

Sincerely,

Kenneth L. Chennault
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
Member since 1976

*American Express relies on accurate airline transaction data to identify incidental fee purchases. If you do not see a credit for a qualifying incidental purchase on your enrolled Card after 4 weeks, simply call the number on the back of your Card. See terms & conditions for more details.

Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Add us to your address book

Your Card Member information is included in the upper-right corner to help you recognize this as a customer service e-mail from American Express. To learn more about e-mail security or report a suspicious e-mail, please visit us at americanexpress.com/phishing. We kindly ask you not to reply to this e-mail but instead contact us via customer service.

1. The Business Centurion® member must present his or her valid Card, government-issued I.D., and same day corresponding airline ticket to club agents. Code-share and affiliated lounge agreements may not apply in all cases. The Business Centurion® member must be 18 years of age to enter into the Airport Club Lounge without a parent or guardian for American Airlines and for Delta Sky Club® where there is no self-service bar. Local age restrictions apply in non-U.S. locations. The Business Centurion® member must be 21 years of age to enter into all Airport Club Lounges where there is a self-service bar. Card members must adhere to all house rules of participating clubs. Partners and locations subject to change.

2. These Terms and Conditions govern Business Centurion Members' participation in and use of the Priority Pass™ Select program. Priority Pass is an independent airport lounge access program. By enrolling in Priority Pass Select, you agree that you will be responsible for all accompanying guest visits and will be automatically charged $27 per guest to your Business Centurion Card® from American Express after you have signed for the visit and it has been reported to Priority Pass by the participating lounge. Additionally, you acknowledge and agree that American Express will verify your Card account number and provide updated Card account information to Priority Pass from time to time. Priority Pass will use this information to fulfill on the Priority Pass Select program and may use this information for marketing related to the program. Once enrolled, Business Centurion Members in good standing may access participating Priority Pass Select lounges by presenting your Priority Pass Select card and airline boarding pass. In some lounges, Priority Pass Select member must be 21 years of age to enter without a parent or guardian. Priority Pass Select members must adhere to all house rules of participating lounges. Amenities may vary among airport lounge locations. Conference rooms, where available, may be reserved for a nominal fee. Priority Pass Select lounge partners and locations are subject to change. All Priority Pass Select members must adhere to the Priority Pass Conditions of Use, which will be sent to you with your membership package, and can be viewed at www.prioritypass.com. Upon receipt of your enrollment information, Priority Pass will send your Priority Pass Select card and membership package which you should receive within 10–14 business days. If you have not received the Priority Pass card after 14 days, please contact American Express using the number on the back of your American Express® Card. Please note, additional Gold Card Members are not eligible for membership.

3. This benefit is available to Consumer and Business Platinum Card® and Centurion® Card Members ("Card Member"). Card Member must present his or her valid Card and government-issued I.D. Ticket not required for Airspace Lounges. In some cases, Card Member must be 21 years of age to enter without a parent or guardian. The Card Member's spouse and children under the age of 21 or up to two companions may enter the club as complimentary guests. Card Member must adhere to all house rules of participating lounges. Card Members and his or her guests will receive all of the complimentary benefits and amenities afforded to the Airspace Lounge customers, as well as access to purchase non-complimentary items. Some product features may be subject to additional charges. Airspace Lounge locations are subject to change.

4. Promotional Offer Terms and Conditions: Select personal and Business Platinum Card® and Centurion® Members are eligible for a special promotion to receive up to $200 in statement credits toward incidental air travel fees for American Airlines and US Airways. No enrollment required. This promotion is in addition to the $200 Airline Fee Credit benefit already included on your Card. Promotion is valid between 3/22/2014 and 12/31/2014. Promotion is not transferable. American Express in its sole discretion reserves the right to alter and or terminate this promotion at any time. Statement Credits: Incidental air travel fees must be charged on the Platinum Card®, Business Platinum Card®, Centurion® Card or Business Centurion® Card Account that is eligible for the promotion. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the Card Account that is eligible for the promotion are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account that is eligible for this promotion can only receive up to $200 in statement credits across all Cards on the Account. Incidental air travel fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees not charged by American Airlines and US Airways (e.g. wireless internet and fees incurred with alliance partners) do not qualify for statement credits. Incidental air travel fees charged prior to the promotion start date or after the promotion end date are not eligible for statement credits. Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees. American Airlines and US Airways must submit the incidental air travel fees under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be identified. Please allow 2-4 weeks after the qualifying incidental air travel fee is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. We rely on American Airlines and US Airways to submit the correct information on airline transactions, so please call the number on the back of the Card if statement credits have not posted after 4 weeks from the date of purchase. Card Members remain responsible for timely payment of all charges. To be eligible for this promotion, your Card Account must be active and not in default at the time of statement credit fulfillment. If a charge for any incidental air travel fee is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account (for example, Sign & Travel), the statement credit associated with that charge will not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit will be applied to your Pay In Full balance. For additional information about this promotion, please call the number on the back of your Card. If you purchase an American Airlines® Admirals Club annual membership online, please note that this will be set-up as a recurring charge on your Card by American Airlines.

5. Benefit is available to Consumer and Business Platinum Card® and Centurion® Members only. To receive statement credits of up to $200 a year toward incidental air travel fees, Card Member must enroll and choose a qualifying airline at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice. Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card Account can enroll and select the qualifying airline. Card Members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. Card Members who have already selected a qualifying airline will be able to change their choice one time each year in January at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of the Card. Card Members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline. Statement Credits: Incidental air travel fees must be charged on the enrolled Card Account for the benefit to apply. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the enrolled Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $200 a year in statement credits across all Cards on the Account. Incidental air travel fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees not charged by the Card Member's airline of choice (e.g. wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners) do not qualify for statement credits. Incidental air travel fees charged prior to enrollment in this benefit are not eligible for statement credits. Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees. The airline must submit the incidental air travel fees under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be identified. Please allow 2–4 weeks after the qualifying incidental air travel fee is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. We rely on airlines to submit the correct information on airline transactions, so please call the number on the back of the Card if statement credits have not posted after 4 weeks from the date of purchase. Card Members remain responsible for timely payment of all charges. To be eligible for this benefit, Card Account(s) must be active and not in default at the time of statement credit fulfillment. If a charge for any incidental air travel fee is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account (for example, Sign & Travel), the statement credit associated with that charge will not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit will be applied to your Pay In Full balance. For additional information about this benefit, call the number on the back of your Card.

6. Business Centurion® Members have unlimited complimentary access to The Centurion Lounge locations. Gold and Green additional Cards on your Business Centurion account are not eligible for unlimited complimentary access. Business Centurion Members may bring immediate family (spouse or domestic partner and their children under 18) OR up to two (2) companions into The Centurion Lounge. To access The Centurion Lounge, the Business Centurion Member must present The Centurion Lounge agent with the following upon each visit: his or her valid Card and upon request, same-day airline ticket on any carrier and a government-issued I.D. Failure to present this documentation may result in access being denied. Business Centurion Members will not be compensated for changes in locations, rates or policies. A Business Centurion Member must be at least 18 years of age to enter without a parent or guardian. The Business Centurion Member must be 21 years of age to enter a lounge with a self-service bar, unless you are accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Business Centurion Members are allowed access to The Centurion Lounge in all U.S. locations. American Express reserves the right to remove any person from a lounge for inappropriate behavior or failure to adhere to lounge rules, including, but not limited to, conduct that is disruptive, abusive or violent. Access is subject to space availability. The Centurion Lounge hours may vary by location and are subject to change. Amenities may vary among The Centurion Lounge locations and are subject to change. Business Centurion Members and their guests are responsible to pay for certain amenities and services inside The Centurion Lounge. Some American Express Cards are not eligible for all services provided by Member Services Desk. American Express will not be liable for any articles lost or stolen or damages suffered by the purchaser or visitor inside The Centurion Lounge. Use of The Centurion Lounge is subject to all rules and conditions set by American Express. American Express reserves the right to revise the rules at any time without notice.

7. To use Pay with Points, you must charge purchase through American Express Travel to Membership Rewards® program-enrolled Card. Points will be debited from Membership Rewards® account, and credit for corresponding dollar amount will be issued to Card account used. If points redeemed do not cover entire amount, the balance of purchase price will remain on Card account. Points must be used at the time of booking and requires minimum redemption 5,000 points. For American Express Travel Pay with Points redemptions, Business Platinum Card Members and Centurion members will receive 1 bonus point for every 5 points you redeem. To be eligible to earn extra points, Card account(s) must be active and not in default at the time of extra points fulfillment. If booking is canceled, the extra points will be deducted from your Program account. Transactions charged to a Corporate Card are excluded. Extra points will be credited to your Membership Rewards® account approximately 6-10 weeks after charges appear on your billing statement. See http://www.membershiprewards.com/terms for Membership Rewards® program terms and conditions. Bonus ID: 4880.

8. Benefits vary from program to program and are subject to change without written notice. Benefits are based upon space availability. The terms and conditions of each individual partner program apply. Partner programs require enrollment. Participating partners are subject to change.

9. Valid only for new FINE HOTELS & RESORTS bookings made through Platinum Travel Service, Business Platinum Travel, Centurion Travel Service, americanexpress.com/fhr, any American Express Travel offices or the Agency Services Desk. Payment must be made in full with an American Express Card in the U.S. Platinum Card Member's or U.S. Centurion® Member's name. Available for U.S. Platinum Charge Card Members and U.S. Centurion® Members only, and excludes Platinum Credit Card Members such as Platinum Delta Skymiles® Card Members who are not also U.S Platinum Charge Card Members. Card Member must travel on itinerary booked to be eligible for benefits described. Noon check-in and room upgrade are based on availability and are provided at check-in. Certain room categories are not eligible for room upgrade; call Platinum Travel Service or Centurion Travel Service for details. Breakfast amenity varies by property, but will be, at a minimum, a continental breakfast. Benefit restrictions vary by FINE HOTELS & RESORTS property and cannot be redeemed for cash, and may not be combined with other offers unless indicated. Benefits and additional FINE HOTELS & RESORTS promotions are only applied at checkout and expire at checkout. Limit one benefit package per room, per stay. Three room limit per Card Member, per stay; back-to-back stays within a 24-hour period at the same property considered one stay. Participating FINE HOTELS & RESORTS properties and benefits are subject to change.

American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc. acts solely as sales agent for travel suppliers and is not responsible for the actions or inactions of such suppliers. We want you to be aware that certain suppliers pay us commissions and other incentives for reaching sales targets or other goals, and may also provide incentives to our travel counselors. For more information please visit www.americanexpress.com/travelterms

California CST#1022318-10, Rhode Island ML#1192, Washington UBI#600-469-694, Iowa TA#002, Nevada NV#2001-0126.

© 2013 American Express. All rights reserved. v2 22229RKN

POID: AWQP:0005

Last edited by grazing; Dec 10, 2013 at 1:09 pm Reason: Personal info was on thread
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by grazing
First Continental, now USAir. Down to Delta only. Heartbreaking.
...the loss of US status is the real killer for me as I use the Delta and Airspace lounge benefits far more than AA.

AXP could save many defections if they can somehow manage to bring DL Diamond status to Centurion. AXP might just have the budget for it now, but I doubt DL would let it go at any price...
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:51 pm

It seems to me that we are forgetting about the new Centurion Lounge. I'll bet that there are plans for a very large expansion of these lounges. Why would amex pay for these benefits from the airlines for its members when they can build there own lounge? I'll also bet that some MBA sat down and figured it was cheaper to just build there own lounge anyway.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Ortho11
It seems to me that we are forgetting about the new Centurion Lounge. I'll bet that there are plans for a very large expansion of these lounges. Why would amex pay for these benefits from the airlines for its members when they can build there own lounge? I'll also bet that some MBA sat down and figured it was cheaper to just build there own lounge anyway.
In case you don't know or remember AMEX was in the City Club business (Europe) back in the early 80s' and they are long gone. I suspect AMEX will remember why they got out of that business and your Airport clubs will be go the way of their city club business - closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.