Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Death Spiral of the Centurion Card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by Allvest
This rep is a senior veteran with the customer service group. I asked her to find a list of Centurion Hotel benefits/participating properties, as they used to publish a catalogue of them. That was her response. I am sure she is not confused about it.
Maybe she is saying they don't publish the catalog anymore. Of course, that probably can't be since you are sure that she isn't confused.

The list of participating hotels is available when you use the FHR portion of the website. Those that are participating in the Buy 3 get the 4th free are shown on the website when you search.

If that isn't your question, then I guess I am confused about what you are looking for (other than the print version of the participating hotel).
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:40 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I think Allvest is simply asking for a worldwide list of all the FHR properties which currently offer a free night promotion. Having the list would save searching destination-by-destination.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
I think Allvest is simply asking for a worldwide list of all the FHR properties which currently offer a free night promotion. Having the list would save searching destination-by-destination.
I was asking for a worldwide list of hotels which offer a) Centurion benefits (such as BOGO at MO and 3rd night free at some RCs,but as of now the Centurion RC benefits appear to have totally expired) b) free nights and c) WOW promos.

Two weeks ago she replied to me "I am trying to locate a list of the current hotel promotions for you", and nothing happened. Upon following up, she sent me the above-quoted note.

Last edited by FlyerTalker683455; Mar 4, 2014 at 2:17 pm
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:18 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Im curious if anyone who has the Cent card and flys DL has found that the recent changes to DLs frequent flyer program has made the cent card more worthwhile. AFAIK you still get DL Plat from having a cent card, which thanks to the introduction of MQDs requires you to not only fly 75,000 miles a year but also spend $7,500 on Delta tickets. I'd think now the card has more value thanks to being granted the status for only paying the membership fee. While some people may fly/pay more then the normal DL threshold per year, for the casual flyer with a card.....does this help anyone justify the cost?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 4:22 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Im curious if anyone who has the Cent card and flys DL has found that the recent changes to DLs frequent flyer program has made the cent card more worthwhile. AFAIK you still get DL Plat from having a cent card, which thanks to the introduction of MQDs requires you to not only fly 75,000 miles a year but also spend $7,500 on Delta tickets. I'd think now the card has more value thanks to being granted the status for only paying the membership fee. While some people may fly/pay more then the normal DL threshold per year, for the casual flyer with a card.....does this help anyone justify the cost?
Well, the $7,500 spend is waived for US residents who have an appropriate (Delta) AMEX instrument and spend $25K/year. So, I'd imagine that would be a relatively minor issue for US based card members (who have the spend on the level of Centurion).

International addresses (residents) have a waiver on MQDs (Medallion Qualification Dollars).

The bigger issue "might" be devaluation of benefits for Delta Platinum Medallions.

Platinum Medallions previously could choose 4 SWU instruments to upgrade Y/B/M international fares. Now, those are NOT an option for Platinum Medallions. So, no more international upgrade instruments for Platinum Medallion.

BUT, Diamond Medallion can choose 4 Global Upgrades that can be used on ANY international fare (very valuable).

So, I'd say, overall the benefits have decreased, not increased for Delta Platinum Medallions.

Now.... if they (AMEX) offered up Diamond Medallion as a benefit...
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Well, the $7,500 spend is waived for US residents who have an appropriate (Delta) AMEX instrument and spend $25K/year. So, I'd imagine that would be a relatively minor issue for US based card members (who have the spend on the level of Centurion).

International addresses (residents) have a waiver on MQDs (Medallion Qualification Dollars).

The bigger issue "might" be devaluation of benefits for Delta Platinum Medallions.

Platinum Medallions previously could choose 4 SWU instruments to upgrade Y/B/M international fares. Now, those are NOT an option for Platinum Medallions. So, no more international upgrade instruments for Platinum Medallion.

BUT, Diamond Medallion can choose 4 Global Upgrades that can be used on ANY international fare (very valuable).

So, I'd say, overall the benefits have decreased, not increased for Delta Platinum Medallions.

Now.... if they (AMEX) offered up Diamond Medallion as a benefit...
I would agree - a decrease.

No upgrades SFO-JFK
No upgrade certs as a choice benefit
No guests in the club (without paying)

Just got my DL Play card in the mail so no Diamond for Centurions.

It's all in line with their move to high rev passengers
Old Mar 7, 2014, 11:01 am

I hate to post this here but (punn) BUTT IN SEAT MILES ARE A REQUIREMENT FOR CERTAIN FREE COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADES NOW even if you are an airline elite via Centurion card. So another downgrade that has not been announced by Amex Centurion. That is all I am going to say and please do not ask for clarification as the airlines read these boards.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 11:25 am

Sure, the perks are less, but you still get Delta Platinum and Hertz Platinum as part of the US Centurion. Both together are worth the $2500 to me (and would cost more than that if purchased separately).

Priority Pass is worthless. Lounges just don't do it for me anymore, unless there is a shower I can take after a transoceanic trip before my US connection. I'm not going to flip out if I can't get my crackers and cheese with some wine or coffee in an American lounge. If I fly business class on AA I get it anyway if I need it. The only time PP makes sense to me is if I'm trapped without internet somewhere (Hanoi, Vietnam immediately comes to mind) and I need an airport lounge for it.

The extra nights in RC and MO were nice, but for me not a deal breaker either way. We still get the upgrades (as does Plat) with a few extra perks (like the very late checkout) thrown in.

The extra length of warranty and the extra $$$ in returns yearly with Centurion above Plat are also a nice bonus.

So looking at this objectively, I can live with the Hertz Platinum and Delta Platinum at a minimum for my $2500 with the rest thrown in as extras. The SPG, Hilton, and IHG status doesn't hurt as well.

The fact that they added Hertz Platinum may bode well for them adding a few more perks of some sort. Let's hope they strike a deal with United or American (hoping against hope, but you never know)...
Old Mar 7, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by PittAir
Sure, the perks are less, but you still get Delta Platinum and Hertz Platinum as part of the US Centurion. Both together are worth the $2500 to me (and would cost more than that if purchased separately).

Priority Pass is worthless. Lounges just don't do it for me anymore, unless there is a shower I can take after a transoceanic trip before my US connection. I'm not going to flip out if I can't get my crackers and cheese with some wine or coffee in an American lounge. If I fly business class on AA I get it anyway if I need it. The only time PP makes sense to me is if I'm trapped without internet somewhere (Hanoi, Vietnam immediately comes to mind) and I need an airport lounge for it.

The extra nights in RC and MO were nice, but for me not a deal breaker either way. We still get the upgrades (as does Plat) with a few extra perks (like the very late checkout) thrown in.

The extra length of warranty and the extra $$$ in returns yearly with Centurion above Plat are also a nice bonus.

So looking at this objectively, I can live with the Hertz Platinum and Delta Platinum at a minimum for my $2500 with the rest thrown in as extras. The SPG, Hilton, and IHG status doesn't hurt as well.

The fact that they added Hertz Platinum may bode well for them adding a few more perks of some sort. Let's hope they strike a deal with United or American (hoping against hope, but you never know)...
Is Hertz Platinum really better than AVIS President's club?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 4:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by erisaguy
Is Hertz Platinum really better than AVIS President's club?
Hertz Plat will drive you back to the terminal instead of you having to get on a shuttle. That is a nice perk that Avis Pres. doesn't offer. Avis Chairman provides it and it has saved my butt on several occasions when I have run late.

I think Hertz Plat may be better than Avis Pres., but I think it may vary from location to location.

I'm trying to figure if it will be better than Avis Chairman, which I am not sure if it will be.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:20 pm

Avis Chairman is the best imho. Hope they step up to the plate.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:31 am

As someone who kicked the Centurion UK card into touch when the SPG Platinum benefit was taken away, I'm disappointed to see that things have continued to spiral downwards in respect of benefits vs. annual fee. Only reason I was scouring this forum again was that I was considering re-upgrading, after some heavy Platinum spend, but I'm not sure it's worth the bother (or cost). Maybe I'll stick with Platinum for a bit longer, until some wonderful new benefits appear out of the woodwork...
Old May 28, 2014, 11:52 am

The DL Platinum benefit would be so much more valuable if it actually credited you $7,500 MQDs/75k miles so that you are that much closer to Diamond.
Old May 28, 2014, 1:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Centurion
I hate to post this here but (punn) BUTT IN SEAT MILES ARE A REQUIREMENT FOR CERTAIN FREE COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADES NOW even if you are an airline elite via Centurion card. So another downgrade that has not been announced by Amex Centurion. That is all I am going to say and please do not ask for clarification as the airlines read these boards.
Cent,

I'm trying to figure out what you meant by this. My Delta Platinum status was renewed with the card. As far as I can see, I am platinum just like any other Delta Plat. I would think that butt in seat miles would only matter in a tie breaking situation.

Not sure why you are worried about airlines reading this board either.
Old May 31, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
As some of my fellow "charter members" remember, it used to be only $1000 for the first card and $500 for each supplemental.

...Then they raised the membership fee to $2500 but sent us a letter saying "Don't worry, as a "charter member" you will always only pay $1000." Then they raised it anyway.

...Then they raised the supplemental card price to $1000.

...Then they raised the supplemental card price to $2500.

...Then they added the $5000 "be my friend" fee for new cardholders.

You would think that with that kind of lineage their benefits would be crazy huge now, but it's been the opposite.

...and despite living in a large metro top-tier metro area with a lot of personal spend but I haven't gotten any Cent gifts in years and years, I'm not even sure I received them back then without calling customer service and asking for them after reading on here that they were going out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.