Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion US Platinum Status Going Away [Extended to 2/2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion US Platinum Status Going Away [Extended to 2/2015]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrWizard
Special Offer: Up to $500 in Statement Credits

We recognize the inconvenience this may cause you as someone who travels frequently, so we have included you in a special offer. You will receive up to $500 in statement credits toward American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees charged to your Card from March 22, 2014 to December 31, 2014.2 You can use these credits toward:

• Membership fees in the Admirals Club program and US Airways Club
• One-day passes to Admirals Club lounges and US Airways Clubs
• Other American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees like baggage fees or flight change fees

There's no enrollment required, and purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the Card account are eligible for the promotion. These statement credits are in addition to the $200 Airline Fee Credit3 benefit already included in your Membership.*
As noted in some of the Platinum Card posts, apparently some people got this $500 offer, while others (myself included) only got a $200 offer. Really annoying.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Amex better step it up with the Centurion. Tied of benefits going away rather than added.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:08 pm

I will downgrade to Platinum in July.
To Do:

1) Use $500 on USAir or American between 3/22/14 and 7/31/14 (my renewal)
2) Redeem my Systemwide Delta upgrades between 3/22/14 and 7/31/14
3) Downgrade to Platinum on 7/31/14

Actually, I wonder if I have to use the $500 before 7/31/14. Will it carry over to my Platinum?

I expect that the USAir status and the Delta status will continue until 2/28/15 and might even have overlapping AA status for some period of time.

Perhaps I'll pay for real Priority Pass as well, and perhaps I'll sign up for a CITI card.

By doing this, the only things I will miss out on that I will care about are:
1) Delta status
2) ???

Maybe they'll add some more benefits by then. I've been losing money on the Centurion for a couple of years now (it paid for itself before). But it's tough to cancel something that you may never be able to get back if they do improve it in the future.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:31 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy
For me it's the Avis benefit that is worth the money almost entirely on its own. FHR is gravy and the DL and US benefit is tiny. So we all have our individual reasons.
Originally Posted by aviators99
I agree about Avis.
What am I missing? I use the Avis benefit, but don't get more than from the Hertz benefit, just a class or two upgrade, when available (and with Avis, I've not gotten upgrades sometimes).

How would this benefit be worth $2,500 per year (not to mention the initiation fee that is $7,500 now)?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 7:34 pm

Ok, so I have done the math.

My wife and I both have US Plat status thru Amex. We both bought up to Chairman at $900 each (previously thought it was $600)

We have spent this year $35,000 on US air. My son (and a parent) commutes SJC-PHX-SJC every weekend plus lots of other US travel.

So altogether we have spent out of pocket $36,000

Ironically we have charged all this to my US Air M/C for all the extra miles etc not Amex - maybe this is why it's all breaking down.

What we don't have:

Lounge access in SJC (although do have the Club for one of us with PP - $27 for my son) so we do not use.
A superior 1st class experience.
Food? What food - a passed around basket.
Other travel on US seems to be non food time so the basket is all we seem to get.
Good award redemption. Can NEVER get a US-Europe Biz class award so mles are banking hoping for the US/AA merger (where I'm EXP)
Cheap fares SJC-PHX - always a little more than WN but justified because of the status.

We do have:

US Club in PHX which is nothing to write home about.
1st Class upgrades. We are at 100% upgrades for the past 12 months
A comfy seat
Boarding first.

Loosing status will push me to AA and my son to WN for his PHX trips.

I'm not sure this is really a loss
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by b8b
What am I missing? I use the Avis benefit, but don't get more than from the Hertz benefit, just a class or two upgrade, when available (and with Avis, I've not gotten upgrades sometimes).

How would this benefit be worth $2,500 per year (not to mention the initiation fee that is $7,500 now)?
It's certainly not worth $2,500 per year, but the Avis benefit turns out to be better than the Hertz benefit. On paper the Hertz benefit is at least as good, but when I tried to use it the benefits were rarely granted. Avis was almost always granted.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 12:48 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Centurion
I think your dreaming if you think elite status goes beyond March 2014
I spoke to centurion customer service and they said 100% platinum status on US Air continues through 2014. Not sure what that translates into AA status.
I only got $100 credit which really irked me!
Old Dec 5, 2013, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erisaguy
I spoke to centurion customer service and they said 100% platinum status on US Air continues through 2014. Not sure what that translates into AA status.
I only got $100 credit which really irked me!
I wouldn't rely on what they said. CS also insisted they had to register me for the crappy $200 offer. They insisted I had to chose US OR AA. This was a supervisor. I read her the letter. I explained this was in additional to the standard $200 benefit. Didn't matter. They are clueless.

So until we get new cards early next year (or don't get new cards) I wouldn't count on anything past 3/22/14.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by aviators99

I've been losing money on the Centurion for a couple of years now (it paid for itself before). But it's tough to cancel something that you may never be able to get back if they do improve it in the future.
+1

I did not receive the email about US Air status yet, but perhaps they are rolling it out over several days.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold) / SPG Gold / Intercontinental Ambassador / AMEX Platinum
What the hell is going on with all of these devaluations....
Old Dec 5, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
The date is rather interesting. I am sure this it the New American negotiating vs. Amex deciding not to pay up for the benefit.

There has been discussion on US leaving star around March 1 and entering Oneworld around April 1. March 22, could mean that Centurion cardholders get status until Mar 22 and won't get converted into the New American AAdvantage status.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Wonder what Centurion could possibly add to make up for the loss of status on US (and even for the loss of CO from a while back). UA is clearly deep with Chase, now AA/US are off the table. Who's left - AS? VX? B6? I suppose there are also foreign carriers but those likely won't be of much benefit to US cardholders
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by brosnan6
Wonder what Centurion could possibly add to make up for the loss of status on US (and even for the loss of CO from a while back). UA is clearly deep with Chase, now AA/US are off the table. Who's left - AS? VX? B6? I suppose there are also foreign carriers but those likely won't be of much benefit to US cardholders
To me it would have to be upping DL to Diamond and adding Cathay Diamond. Lack of either a OW or SA partner is a huge hole.

For US travel I suppose VX would be an option but they lack routes.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by sdix
To me it would have to be upping DL to Diamond and adding Cathay Diamond. Lack of either a OW or SA partner is a huge hole.

For US travel I suppose VX would be an option but they lack routes.
I think AS is just as (if not more) viable an option than VX since their route network is substantially more robust and they have partnership agreements with numerous other airlines (including across alliances - such as DL and AA).

DL Diamond + AS MVP Gold would be pretty nice!
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:33 pm

DL Diamond plus a Star Alliance Gold replacement please!

If they cannot get UA, how about trying another Star partner, like AC, LH, SK, Swiss -- long shot, I know, but why not?

Another benefit I'd like to see for Centurion is free membership and annual fees in Inspirato.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.